Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Binaural Audio?

Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139975

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Hey everyone, im using lightworks to edit a video that includes Binaural Audio. But when editing i noticed that that audio is not binaural. Is there anyway to fix it to make it sound binaural? Thanks.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139979

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Yes there is.

Click on your edit window to give focus to the recorder, press <insert> key to open audio mixer, adjust pan slider full out for left and right channels, and you will get the full stereo feeling.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139982

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
What if i want my to audio switch back and forth to left and right. How would i create that. It is important that the audio syncs with the video whether it goes left or right.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Ricecrackerz.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139983

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Is your original audio a stereo recording including the effect you describe?

EDIT - Maybe I didn't understand your question correctly: Do you talk about the binaural effect or about synchronisation between audio and video?
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by hugly.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139984

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Yes it is. If you want to know more in detail it is an ASMR video, where binaural is a key component to the video. I recorded it using audacity with a binaural microphone. When listening to the mp3 file I recorded it shows obvious signs of binaural effect. But when adding it to lightworks it becomes non-binaural. The audio panel you showed does give the effect of one side or the other, but for the video it is constant switching. I want to know a way to portray that constant switching, as well as being in sync with the video.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139985

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Ok, the settings shown above will keep both channels separated and should preserve the binaural effect.

If it doesn't, the problem could be related to Lightworks import. All (audio-only) stereo MP3s are converted to single channel PCM wav files and I don't know the algorithm used. This may or may not influence binaural effect.

Best would be to record to PCM.wav natively at 48 kHz. This will import without any conversion.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #139987

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
I just downloaded a ASMR video, exported it with Lightworks, downscaled for file size. Please see below.

What do you think, does it sound binaural?

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Original at www.youtube.com/user/GentleWhispering

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140016

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
I will check out the file you sent. I am currently at school. And yes my file is in an mp3 format. In the mean time is there anyway to convert my binaural mp3 file into the PCM.wav file u mentioned?

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140054

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Yes indeed it does sound binaural.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140055

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
UPDATE: I used audacity to convert the mp3 recording into a PCM.wav.
When editing both the mp3 and PCM.wav do not sound binaural. Is it possible that when i export it, it will sound binaural?

Also when exporting i come to a problem with my clips lasting 30 mintues, usually with a black background. How do i remove this?

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140056

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Yes indeed it does sound binaural.

Perfect.

The binaural effect in your brain is mainly created by phasing differences of the signals between left and right microphone during recording.

To leave this phasing differences where they belong to (to left or right channel) you have to keep the stereo channels strictly separated. The only valid pan slider position to achive that is full out as shown above.

By the way, I listened to one of the first commercially distributed binaural recordings back in the late seventies.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140058

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Is it possible that when i export it, it will sound binaural?

No, Lightworks can preserve binaural effect of binaural recording (pan sliders full out), it won't generate it.

Also when exporting i come to a problem with my clips lasting 30 mintues, usually with a black background. How do i remove this?

Press ;-key <semicolon> to jump to the very end of timeline, press I-key to mark in, press A-key to jump to previous cut point and X-key to delete and close the gap (In short ; I A X).

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140065

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Okay now, i only have one audio file, that being A2. Would i have to copy it into the A1 spot and then do one left and one right channeling?

imgur.com/a/AeGrX

^Picture of my current setup

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140067

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
You need both audio channel created with your binaural recording A1 is the left channel A2 is the right.

Re: Binaural Audio? 1 year, 9 months ago #140069

• Ricecrackerz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Okay ive created a new edit, and ive duplicated the two binaural recording. One in each slot A2,A3. A2 is occupied with the left side and A3 is occupied with the right side. Yet i still do not hear a binaural effect. Althouogh on the colum that says LR, i do notice that L or R goes higher than the other, showing binaural effect is taking place.

imgur.com/a/JC1B8
^Current Setup.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top