Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New feature Documentary on the career of Jill Bilcock

Re: New feature Documentary on the career of Jill Bilcock 1 year, 5 months ago #139718

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
not teaching editing because it was a craft skill and therefore not creative
--- oh well --- one either does or does not have the urge to conceptualise. I guess those of the latter group sometimes become administrators of film schools.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: New feature Documentary on the career of Jill Bilcock 1 year, 5 months ago #139719

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
Oh, yes!!!!

It would explain a very great deal.

Mind you a lot of editors around town got freelance work out of that policy when students had to submit their end of year assessments. I did that for a couple and I know of other editors who did too.

Re: New feature Documentary on the career of Jill Bilcock 1 year, 5 months ago #139720

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
jwrl wrote:
... It wasn't so long ago that a major tertiary film school was deliberately not teaching editing because it was a craft skill and therefore not creative.

That is insane! For ten years, I largely 'created' TV commercials in the edit suite. In many cases, especially when I shot for Toyota, a rough draft script or story board was prepared by the Agency. I then shot material based on the particular vehicle and the chosen location. Sometimes (but not very often) a finished soundtrack was presented but in most cases, the music track was sourced or composed after I had shot the material and based on the rushes. Once finished, I then 'created' the commercial in the edit suit, based on the brief, the location, the vehicle, the music cues and the quality of the material I had shot.

Can you imagine this discussion today?

Agency: "We've just been delivered the latest Land Cruiser. What can we do?"

Me: "Oh you know, just the usual. We'll take it out for a spin in the bush and shoot the butt off it!"

Agency: "OK. We'll string a few ideas together, maybe. Do you need a script?"

Me: "Nah. Just the usual, we'll make it up in the suite after we've shot it"

Agency: "We'd like to go to air with it this weekend"

Me: "No problem. Give me 24 hours after the shoot and you'll have it. I'll cut you a 60, a 30 and maybe two 15s"

Agency: "Cost?"

Me: "If you need to ask, you can't afford it, right?

Agency: "Yeah, Right"
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by Craig Marshall.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top