Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AUDIO PROBLEMS

AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137452

• vidispaja
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Hi there!

Could someone have a know-how to tell what is the best audio file format to use, when projecting a music video?

I already made one, I think i used m4a.
When importing it to timeline, the sound "brokes" and it stays no longer pure stereo.
It ain't mono either, sounds like something between?

I'm afraid I have forgotten something, wouldn't like to do same mistakes again..

I'd really appreciate your help!

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137458

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Hello and welcome!

If you record yourself, choose uncompressed PCM.wav at 48 kHz sampling rate. That's a common standard and best audio format in terms of quality and performance.

I convert any compressed audio-only file to PCM.wav prior to import. If it's at 44.1 kHz I leave it there.

That it sounds in between could be caused that it's panned in between.

Lightworks V12.6 assumes that you use mono channels and all channels are panned to center by default. Please press <insert> key to open the Audio Mixer panel and set the pan sliders of all stereo channels to full out position for left and right channel. Please activate also channel switches 3 and 4 to listen at proper audio monitor level.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by hugly.

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137461

• vidispaja
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
GREAT - thanks Hugly!
I'll test as soon as I can.

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137466

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Compressed audio formats are not good for editing. m4a is a compressed file format. mp3 is a compressed file format. You would like your stream to be in pcm wav format. Depending on your source, you can easily go with 24 bit depth. If your audio is sourced from less or a compressed format, you should shoot for a bit depth of 16. The audio sampling rate should be the same throughout your entire project. If the audio that is embedded with your video is 44.1 kHz, format all of your audio to be in 44.1 kHz. Same with 48 kHz.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by donkpow.

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137468

• vidispaja
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Ok, thanks also to you Donkpow!

Nice to get help when you need it.

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS 1 year, 7 months ago #137471

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Yeah, you're welcome. The thing is, Lightworks can't do everything for you. It's not made for that. The extreme extension would be to ask Lightworks to shoot your video for you. Lightworks is good in what it does but you also need other tools to fill out your suite. Things like a DAW, compositor, FX software, library manager, color correction software, transcoder, ..... All those things have narrow focus but when you find a good one, performance will be exceptional.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top