Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Burning Gold

Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132438

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
The ACALA crew did a video about the practice of clear cutting hardwood forest in Nova Scotia to supply fuel for the Nova Scotia Powers' Point Tupper Biomass plant.
I edited some of our footage to produce a video showing that the use of mechanical harvester,s whose primary design is for softwood harvesting, are stealing enormous amounts of money out of the wood lot owner's pockets. The owners are being paid approximately $49 a ton delivered for biomass. When skilled foresters harvesters the same wood lot, the return can be many times higher and there is still 30% left over that can be sold to the biomass plant.
The biomass plant is in effect burning gold to produce electricity.

vimeo.com/185412269
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Jpaulbiss. Reason: Get a link to Vimeo

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132441

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Starting of that first machine buried my audio meter.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132489

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
donkpow wrote:
Starting of that first machine buried my audio meter.

Thanks.
I dropped the level on that track to -6 DB, the audio mix output now stays between -6 & -12. Tweaked a few other audio sections.

Where to you recommend to keep the output?

Do you have any other suggestions? I am trying to learn.

You should hear one of those skidders up close.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Jpaulbiss.

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132501

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Hello, Jpaulbiss,

Loudness is a bit more complex than what the vu meters indicate. It is possible to have loudness that is not accurately represented by them. I use Orban Loudness Meter It is free to download and use. There are "loudness meters" available for DAW's, depending on your platform and software. There are industry standards for the recommended limits of "loudness" and these software measure loudness relative to those standards.

I prefer to think of the sound track as "soundscape", if that helps. I did watch your video but I didn't listen critically. The loudness of the machine jumped out at me. I am familiar with the bone jarring sound of heavy equipment. I think I also heard a spot that went to zero. I would use some atmosphere to bridge that time, even if you had to loop something extracted from the original sound track. The music on the end credits was kind of low, IMO.

I'm not a professional so that's for what it's worth. Make it the way you want it to be. I think the tractor was too loud.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by donkpow. Reason: link

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132598

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
I have redone the video done the best I can. May even be Oscar material (the Oscar on sesame street that is)
Found a lot of mistakes and better ways to do things. LWKS is really a great app.

Found an interesting piece on loudness www.indiana.edu/%7Eemusic/etext/acoustics/chapter1_loudness.shtml Stating that loudness is the way we perceive amplitude. I wonder if the quality of the playback media is part of this perception?

Someone in this forum has a motto "Post production is not an after thought."
That should be engraved in stone.

Thanks for the help

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132602

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Yes, I looked at it again. More comfortable. As you say, audio can communicate more than words.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132605

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Jpaulbiss wrote:
Someone in this forum has a motto "Post production is not an after thought."
That should be engraved in stone.

Damn right!!!

Re: Burning Gold 1 year, 7 months ago #132609

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
donkpow wrote:
Yes, I looked at it again. More comfortable. As you say, audio can communicate more than words.

Music soothes the savage beast.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top