Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: For the charity group

For the charity group 2 years ago #128302

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I made this unsolicited video for the charity group I recently started a relationship with. They move a little slow so I thought I'd add a little pep. If you feel the heat, just ignore it.

This piece has consistent low quality. The video is from my inexpensive action camera, the stills are downloaded from the Facebook page, and the music is downloaded in mp3 format. The only HQ element is the audio I got from freesound.org. Don't worry, I downsampled it to 44.1 kHz.

Video is transcoded with ffmpeg to DNxHD. Lens correction in Fusion. Stills converted to png with Irfanview. Lightworks keyed image effect and jwrl's excellent drop shadow/border effect.

Audio is worked in Reaper. I restructured the song to fit the timeline (breaking some rules). Created the trumpet solo from a sound font in a virtual instrument. Created the percussion solo by sampling the mp3 stream and reworking it by hand. Added a little cowbell from another virtual instrument.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128303

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Bicycles for all, yeah.. Legalize it, man!

I guess, El Gato got too much of it!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128304

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
El Gato is the boss.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128338

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Feels and looks and sounds good - with that a tiny bit of carping is sure to follow - don't know why you retained that very shaky piece of the POV camera at about 01:11 and since the message of the piece seems to be 'for all' would an emphasis have been appropriate on the 'all of' people in the stills with some well-worn dynamic technique?
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128340

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
@DonKPow - What is the virtue in converting images to .png? Thanks.

Also, needs more cowbell.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128344

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128348

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
RWAV wrote:
Feels and looks and sounds good - with that a tiny bit of carping is sure to follow - don't know why you retained that very shaky piece of the POV camera at about 01:11 and since the message of the piece seems to be 'for all' would an emphasis have been appropriate on the 'all of' people in the stills with some well-worn dynamic technique?
Thank you. Good questions. I left that jolt in the footage, I realize. It almost intersects with the slap bass moment. When I reviewed the edit, I realized what I did but I just left it. I understand it may be provocative. It is real.

The number of stills I had available was limited. I almost included some stills that I downloaded from other sites but there is the issue of rights on that. I've got the feeling I included the mission of the organization in the piece fairly well. Since I am familiar with the organization and associated activities, I am touching a lot of bases in the piece. Each image has a story behind it and each tale expresses an element of the mission. I could given a few more hits but I spent no small amount of time with the audio.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128349

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
@DonKPow - What is the virtue in converting images to .png? Thanks.

Also, needs more cowbell.
I use png files as a matter of consistent workflow. All images get converted unless another format is better to use. Many times, I will edit the photo or whatever. The first thing I always do with a photo is convert it. Also jpeg is a compressed format. Using compressed media is always asking for trouble. The audio is converted to wav for editing and is imported to Lightworks as BWF. Just my standard of practice.

The cowbell is from a virtual instrument I got for free. I think it is a joke from the company that makes it. They make a seriously good piano instrument but the commentary on this thing is rather contrary to their regular spiel.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128351

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
I did ponder whether or not the shaky bit was a response to the sound - absolutely understand the issue with not enough stills - for me this would be a job where in the ideal situation one would select/edit the stills first - the POV background is a binding technique but does nor carry the story.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128368

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Yes, the POV footage lends to the story at some points but is not intended to carry the whole story. If one sees a relationship, it is an allusion.

I had a still from another source that had a crowd of people of all kinds in one place, each person with a bicycle. Could I have used that photo, the story would have been different. As it stands, the piece is intended to highlight the volunteer effort. If I were to appeal to the public, I would seek a different type of music and flip the order of the stills.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128374

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
As it stands, the piece is intended to highlight the volunteer effort.
Absolutely - but what is it that motivates those volunteers - perhaps 'feeling good' about doing good. The nub of the story is that kids, presumably with either greedy parents or more likely from families with limited discretionary spending capacity, can get their bikes for nought. It can't be a piece full of underprivileged youngsters - but where they might be seen they would be a highlight.

Some 15 or so years ago and for a number of years we made TV commercials twice a year for this charity organisation - www.thesmithfamily.com.au/ - they are absolute masters in the psychology of motivating donation and enlisting volunteers. One Christmas our campaign was so successful the other charities complained very loudly we had taken significant donation share from them.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: For the charity group 2 years ago #128377

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
RWAV wrote:
As it stands, the piece is intended to highlight the volunteer effort.
Absolutely - but what is it that motivates those volunteers - perhaps 'feeling good' about doing good. The nub of the story is that kids, presumably with either greedy parents or more likely from families with limited discretionary spending capacity, can get their bikes for nought. It can't be a piece full of underprivileged youngsters - but where they might be seen they would be a highlight.
After your previous comments I was thinking about how I would make the success of this program appealing. Whether the program is or is not successful is not really important, only whether or not I could make it appealing. Maybe change the phrasing so that the kid(s) would receive the gift after much suffering and soul crushing desire. Something along the lines of "A Christmas Story".
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top