Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's

I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125128

• shane7881
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
I'm going to add links to my video at the end of these statements, so if you just wan't to skip to the videos, go ahead, but otherwise, I would like for you to read this..

This story might sound silly, but when I first found lightworks, I was looking for a free editing software that I could use just for editing game play videos and making mlg montages, windows movie maker just wouldn't cut it, so I looked up "free video editing software", that's how I ended up using lightworks, and when I began using it, I had no idea what I was doing

That's when I shortly gave up trying to learn how to use it, but I knew I couldn't afford to buy an expensive editor, so I went back to learning how to edit videos. It was hard at first, but after watching tutorials, I got a lot better. Every time I watched an mlg montage parody, I would think to myself "I bet I could do the same thing in lightworks" and so that's what I did.

I kept on improving my editing skills, and each day I became better and better, and now I'm at the point where I am completely comfortable using lightworks, and I can teach it to anyone. If I want to record a video and edit it, I can do it without a problem.. I didn't want to be left behind just because of the editor that I use, and that's what drove me to become so good with lightworks.

lightworks is actually pretty dear to my heart, and I've used it a lot over the past 2 years, but now I'm moving to vegas movie studio platinum 13. It was a tough choice, especially because it costed me $80, but I think I will improve a lot using this editor. There are certain drawbacks to lightworks that I've found that many new users and some intermediate users don't see..

Little things like audio echoing unless you're using a certain audio format, not being able to use several different framerates in clips, video playback being laggy in the editor, and just a whole bunch more problems that come with using a free video editor. These things are all stuff that can be dealt with, but it becomes more and more of a hassle when I want to work on big projects, like the one i'm making now.

There's plenty more things that I personally think should change, but I'm just going to go ahead and skip to the point.. Now that I've gotten vegas movie studio, I want to showcase some of my videos I've made in lightworks before I stop using it..

They're mostly gaming videos and mlg videos, but I want to show off to all the users on this site that you can accomplish whatever you want using lightworks. I want to show that this software is capable of doing some amazing stuff before I start learning vegas, so here, have a look at my content:

MLG PARODYS I made:
Dead video links removed

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS I made:
Dead video links removed

Keep in mind, I will still use lightworks for certain things, I'm very open when it comes to video editors. I've used movie maker, camtasia, lightworks, and now I'm using vegas, so yes, I'm not just switching editors because vegas is "the industry standard". I hope you guys enjoy what I've made and that you learn from my examples, If you read through the whole thing, thank you for reading

p.s: I know some of you may find mlg montages cringey, but I'm just here to show off how good you can make your videos look
Last Edit: 1 year ago by arniepix.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125129

• shane7881
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
And just to let you guys know, these videos are not the only things that I've accomplished over 2 years. I just picked these videos out from my youtube channel to show you guys . I've done plenty more edits that what is on my youtube channel.

Oh! And I almost forgot to add, it's actually been 3 years starting today since I turned 16 XD

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125133

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and work. Hope all works out well with Vegas - you know where to come in case of emergency.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125134

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
For what it's worth, you'll get quite an argument over whether Vegas is the industry standard or not. Personally, I would regard it as one of the less likely to be given that title. It allows mixing of frame rates in a project, will accept very sub standard media, and will hide both of those facts until you export your project.

You only need one project to fail broadcast acceptance for you to decide what industry standard is!

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125139

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Just a note that Vegas movie studio platinum is a consumer version of Vegas, it's not what could be termed an industry standard NLE.

Vegas Pro is the professional variant in the family, which is popular with many single users, although it's currently not without its own set of issues.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125140

• shane7881
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
For people letting me know that movie studio platinum isn't industry standard, I was just being sarcastic. I was referring to how it has the highest reputation for video editing.

Also don't worry guys, I still will use lightworks, there are certain things that I still love about it. You can always re-edit your video with another editor just to add the things you want

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125142

• shane7881
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
*one of the highest

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125150

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year, 4 months ago #125161

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
I have other video editing software.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134834

• aiki
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
I used Vegas Pro for several years, I also used Discreet EDIT, Premiere Pro CS5.5, Final Cut Pro 7. I downloaded LightWorks at the beginning of its free period. I tried several times at home of the used but its learning curve is more abrute than for Vegas that I use since version 4. I have a look at version 14. Me Seems interesting.

Moi pour ma part j'utilise Vegas Pro depuis plusieurs années, j'ai aussi utilisé Discreet EDIT, Premiere PRO CS5.5, Final Cut Pro 7. J'ai téléchagé LightWorks au début de sa période gratuite. J'ai essayé plusiers fois chez- moi de l'utilisé mais mais sa courbe d'apprentissage est plus abrute que pour Vegas que j'utilise depuis la version 4. J'ai jeter un coup d'oeil à la version 14. Me semble intéressant.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134838

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
vagas is handy for sound editing having audio fx in.

just to say: its not _sony_ anymore, vegas was sold.

s

ps. could it be your videos are all offline?
Last Edit: 1 year ago by lghtwrks.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134851

All of the links say "this video does not exist"!

I think we all know the limitations of Lightworks. It is really optimized for editing high end production sources, not consumer formats or game capture and web download mashups.

Vegas started life as an audio DAW. It is probably the best editor out there for handling compressed audio codecs. Audio is its primary strength. It is a good desktop solo user solution all around.

There is no one NLE that is perfect for everything.

I have very few issues with Lightworks, but that is because I edit mostly uncompressed or intra-frame compressed frame stack formats or broadcast production grade digital intermediates and studio grade PCM uncompressed audio. No proxies, no long GOP compressed codecs. For that grade of material, especially frame stack formats like CDNG raw, JPEG, TIFF, and DPX, I think Lightworks is the most efficient NLE out there.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134855

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
aiki wrote:
I used Vegas Pro for several years, I also used Discreet EDIT, Premiere Pro CS5.5, Final Cut Pro 7. I downloaded LightWorks at the beginning of its free period. I tried several times at home of the used but its learning curve is more abrute than for Vegas that I use since version 4. I have a look at version 14. Me Seems interesting.

Yes, and V14 comes with a few astonishing new features and a new layout mode called Fixed layout, which, from my point of view, makes the first steps into Lightworks much easier. It's getting better and better with each beata release.

I hope that further video tutorials for V14 will follow soon.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134860

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Having got both Lightworks and Vegas, I don't think there is much difference in the Learning curve. They have their own approach to the editing process, however, I suspect you can't move from Vegas (maybe because if the DAW background)to Lightworks as easily as perhaps from FCP7.

Re: I'm moving on to Sony Vegas. Have a look at what I've accomplished over 2 years in lwk's 1 year ago #134861

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
I tried several times at home of the used but its learning curve is more a brute than for Vegas that I use since version 4
A Goolge search suggests Vegas 4 dates back to 2004 - so at this time that is 12 years of overcoming the "learning curve" as compared with "I tried several times at home" for LW. Not much of a comparison.

I have trained a good number of 'other' NLE operators to use LW - half a day of actual cutting with feedback when they strike an unknown is all that's needed to have them working and earning a wage as an editor - as they need more advanced features they are learned progressively on a needs basis.

After 12 years three months they, and no doubt the OP, would be a whiz on LW.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds
Scroll To Top