Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story

Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story 2 years, 5 months ago #114527

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Hey Guys,

I've been shooting a little short story about my quadriplegic Uncle Mike, and I wanted to get some feedback about the interview framing.

Its something that I've struggled with and its something I'm working on. What do you guys think?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Dahveed.

Re: Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story 2 years, 5 months ago #114537

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
It's a strong and purposeful composition, the use of extensive negative space in a moving-image work can be powerful story telling in itself. In this instance - just knowing your uncle has a disability gives the composition a mood and perhaps specific meaning - so the following shot has to make sense juxtaposed with both the content of your uncle's interview and the emotions suggested by the visual composition.

The composition is a class act but the shot before and the shot after must visually flow in and out that framing - can't have just one great shot - and can't keep on repeating it unless it is the perfect composition every time your uncle's interview is on screen. That's the penalty for having a great shot - all others have to lift to match it. Good luck.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story 2 years, 5 months ago #114573

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Thanks for the kind words, and the resource of how the interview framing looks to an "outsider" if you will.

The framing here matches when he is talking about his disability, the only regret I have is not framing a second camera wider when he is talking about how he is still incredibly active. The mood with this framing is constricted, tight, constrained; or atleast thats what I feel, and I wished it was a little bit wider for when he talks about his freedom. Oh well, maybe one day I'll be super rich and can afford a second or third camera..

Looking forward to sharing this project with you guys in the near future.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Dahveed.

Re: Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story 2 years, 5 months ago #114575

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
--- or set up to allow for some framing flexibility for every camera - even if there is only one. Assuming you are the director/camera operator - listen intently to the subject connect your director's ear and eye to your camera person's fluid control of picture. Be sure each within-interview camera adjustment in at on-air standard, smooth, purposeful and attention directing. Don't be afraid to ask a subject to go over a point if you're unhappy with a move or a framing. Generally subjects want to tell their story, if you blame yourself for needing a repeat they are able to oblige.

In my view, for an intimate, revealing interview, one where the subject extends beyond their inevitably pre-conceived notions of what will be asked and what to say, one does not need the distraction of multiple cameras.

We have a quite successful routine for doing these - this is not the place to go into further details.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Interview Framing // FREE- Michael Boyd's Story 2 years, 4 months ago #115847

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Just a little update, I finished the project. In the end, I wished that I still had a wider framing of his interview sometimes, but I guess we live and learn.

You can check it out here: www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/1930
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top