Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS

A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 4 months ago #105827

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Hello All,

I have recently edited a short Documentary/ Story in Lightworks, and i thought I would like to share the results with you guys. This video was created for a Navajo Mission related to our Church.

vimeo.com/150568776

Thanks for your time,

Dahveed

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 4 months ago #105834

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Pleasant rhythm.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 4 months ago #105835

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Thanks.... It turned out a little on the slow-side pace wise, but I was rather happy with it.

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 2 months ago #109591

• noalbalint
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
good job!

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 2 months ago #109651

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Thank you.

I enjoyed the whole experience, and I learned so much that I'm dying for a new project.

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 2 months ago #109654

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Dahveed wrote:
It turned out a little on the slow-side pace wise

Possibly, but it engaged my attention, which is what you were required to do. So you achieved your goal, and did it convincingly and well. Would I have done it the same way? Definitely not. I'm a different person to you with different life experiences and a different outlook on life. But I wouldn't be at all ashamed of the job that you've done.

The issue that I had was with the framing of the talking heads. Whoever shot that wasn't comfortable with the concept of head room and how to apply it. When I see someone talking I would prefer to concentrate on them and not on an out of focus wall of books. For future reference it would probably be worth your while using a DVE to tighten and reframe shots like that. An example of what I mean - the top is the original shot, the bottom the reframed one.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

That represents a blow up to 115% of the original size. Given that you're already downsizing your media to 50% for delivery there will be no apparent degradation of the image if you do that, and would improve things immensely.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by jwrl.

Re: A Short(ish) Story Edited In LWKS 2 years, 2 months ago #109657

• Dahveed
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 2 months ago
Wow. I see what you mean!! Thanks so much for the re-framing advice.

Yes, If i could change one thing, I would go back and reshoot the interviews. I would use a longer lens, and pull the person away from the background. Create more depth, and show the person's face more in detail.

Thinking back, I would have liked to shoot the interview you pulled frame grabs from in a different location.. BUT! It was a classic dispute of the videographer and the audio guy. In the end, the audio guy won. Seeing how you changed it for the better, I can defiantly see how i could have shot it better.

I appreciate your encouragement, and that you stated how you would have made it better. Thank you so much.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top