Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Inserting still images to the timeline.

Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93304

• Eanna5
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
I have 2 clips joined together and I have a picture that I need to insert into the video and play for five seconds. I do not want to delete part of either clips and I want to talk whilst the picture is showing. I have searched on YT but not found any tutorials I was easily able to follow. I am very new to light works so sorry if I am newbing out here.

Thanks for any help,
Eanna5

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93307

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Do you want the still image only to be shown or do you want the image to be over a portion of the video?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93309

• Eanna5
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Hi thanks for the reply.
I want it to be shown in full screen and.
I am not trying to face swap or anything. I have a video of how to get something. THen straight after I want a picture of what I got to show up for 5 or so seconds then the clip goes straight into how to get another item and again I show a picture of that item

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93310

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Import the still image to your projects just like you do a video. Park the play head over the cut. Select the image in the bin so that the border is blue. Press "v" on your keyboard to insert the image to the time line. Unjoin the ends of the still image clip and create the five seconds of still image video. Unjoining the ends and sliding the clip under the adjoining clips is necessary for transitions.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

EDIT: I forgot to say deselect the audio tracks and any others you don't want to be influenced by the "insert".
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93314

• Eanna5
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
When you put it like that it makes perfect sense. I had it done within minutes. Thanks very much for your help.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 years, 8 months ago #93320

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Good.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163460

• PushYouDown
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I want to piggy pack on this-- Is there a way to make it have a default length for a still image? I can insert an image but it make the "clip" atrociously long (with seemingly no rhyme or reason- 5 seconds or 1 minute) so I have to zoom out on the time line and jigger around with it. If I could make it default to a set insert length that would be great.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163461

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hello and welcome!

Default duration of stills can be selected only prior to import from Import Commands panel of Local File in EDIT or LOG mode. Right click into Local Files window and select "Import Commands.Video.Stills duration" and select a value. By default it is set to 60 seconds. When working with stills, make sure that "Video.Detect image-sequences" is deselected before starting import.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163462

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
You can mark the duration of the still that you wish to insert on the clip itself.

1. Open the still in your source viewer and jump back to the start (if you're not already there) by pressing the "s" key.
  2. Now press "i" to put a mark at that point.
  3. In the timecode window type in the time that you want the picture to run. If you want a five second still type 00:00:05.00 and press the enter key.
  4. Park your sequence where you want the still to go.
  5. Press the "v" key.

Done.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163463

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Just to add a detail.

The method jwrl described above works with stills, as long as they are long enough and even then, it works by adding easily trimmable black in the timeline.

Stills don't have and show primary TC but switching display to marked duration is not necessary, as I wrongly mentioned below.

With still in source viewer switch TC display to Marked Duration first, because primary TC of stills is always zero. Then you can enter a frame count. Calculate duration respecting your project frame rate and possibly applied frame rate conversion (3:2 pudown, reverse telecine, and similar).

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163464

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
FWIW

It might be hope to simplify the process of inserting black and stills of a certain duration into the timeline without calculations or trimming in the timeline, at least I've placed a feature request int beta forums some time ago, here.

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163567

• rabato
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I am creating a super simple project with 250 still images and cannot seem to find the way to edit their length. Does right click not work in Mac versions?
Of course doing it one by one would be not a smart idea

Thanks!

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163575

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
First, I've corrected my two earlier posts because they contained wrong information. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Hello and welcome!

On OSX right-click works with a two-button mouse or with a mouse or trackpad which support gestures. It doesn't work with Control-click, because Control-click is reseved for internal use, currently.

I assume you have the stills already sorted and inserted into the timeline.

Do you wish to modify duration of one single clip or a section containing more clips or the whole sequence with all clips?

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163579

• rabato
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for the quick response. I want all the frames to have a duration of 1 sec. I understood I need to set it before importing from your previous reply but could not access the import settings due to the right click issue.
What would be the gesture for the trackpad? My mouse is one click only.
Thanks again!

Re: Inserting still images to the timeline. 2 months, 1 week ago #163582

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Access to right-click is really important with Lightworks.

The default gesture with a mouse supporting gestures (e.g. Apple Magic Mouse) is tipping with two fingers.

Please note: It's also possible to modify duration of clips already inserted in the timeline, easily for single clips, a bit hidden for a group of clips.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds
Scroll To Top