Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to do voiceover

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6070

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Thanks. It'll take a while. Maybe by Christmas I'll be in a position to create some tutorials for people like me, who need to learn a little bit about real video editing as well as learning how to use LW. Perhaps that would be a way for someone as low down the ladder as me to give something back.
HARDWARE (PC): Pentium dual core @2,6GHz, 4Gbyte RAM, 400Gbyte C drive and another 600Gbytes external hard drive. Integral display adapter G33/G31 Express chipset.

The topic has been locked.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6081

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
I want to test voice over. I have a professional microphone plugged into an external Behringer hardware mixer which in turn is plugged into the PC sound chip's line-in. I have created a new device in the Record Tool and am trying to configure it. Is USB/DirectSound the correct option for the on-board Realtek sound chip? I don't think so.

Selecting this option does not seem to work--I get a "check connections" message.

Or perhaps I should choose Custom as SMPse suggests.

Any suggestions anyone?
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6088

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Hi Shaunthesheep,

Got your mail, but I answer here instead...
USB/Directsound should be the correct option.
Have you selected your Realtek for audio in Windows Control Panel?

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6098

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Shaun, have you ever used that input socket with a simple mic or headset? I have the same integrated Realtek chipset, and I found the gain so low that I couldn't use a cheap headset but had to buy a slightly better separate mic.
HARDWARE (PC): Pentium dual core @2,6GHz, 4Gbyte RAM, 400Gbyte C drive and another 600Gbytes external hard drive. Integral display adapter G33/G31 Express chipset.

Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by chabrenas. Reason: typos

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6099

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Hi chabrenas,
do you have an usb mic or a regular one (those with a P2 jack connected to the audiocard)?
If your case is the second, I strongly recommend you to use it through an audio mixer or preamp connected to the audiocard's line input instead of do it directly to the mic input. That will allow you to increase (or decrease, as needed) the audio gain and make some basic equalization to improve your recording quality.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6113

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
SMPse wrote:
Hi Shaunthesheep,

Got your mail, but I answer here instead...
USB/Directsound should be the correct option.
Have you selected your Realtek for audio in Windows Control Panel?

Ha! I had Realtek selected but the recording default was stereo mix instead of line-in. I had forgotten to switch it back. That could explain a lot. I will try again. Thanks SMPse.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6114

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
chabrenas wrote:
Shaun, have you ever used that input socket with a simple mic or headset? I have the same integrated Realtek chipset, and I found the gain so low that I couldn't use a cheap headset but had to buy a slightly better separate mic.

I assume you used the Realtek mic socket? I never use that. I do a lot of music recording and so (as I said previously) I use a professional mic with balanced XLR jacks plugged into an external hardware mixer which is connected to the Realtek line-in. And my headphones are also plugged into the mixer phones output. This gives much more control over the volume levels. Highly recommended.

I agree with frandesouza.
Desktop

Laptop

Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6115

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Thanks, Fran and Shaun. I now use a Logitek USB mic, which is many time better than any of the cheap headsets and less than twice the price. I'm only likely to use voiceover or separately recorded voice for 'talking heads', not music, but I am seriously considering getting a 'proper' mic - and can see the value in using a mixer/pre-amp plugged into line-in. I have no experience of any of these,so recommendations will be welcome.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6121

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
One of the simplest solutions is to get wireless mic. They come with a receiver with line-level output, so you can avoid buying a mixer just for one mic. Wireless is convenient and can be very sophisticated, if you demand so. Don't forget to get a decent mic stand, if you go for a handheld one. I use this solution all the time, recording commentaries. And I do have a Realtek onboard.
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6126

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Dr Kuli, that sounds like what I should be looking for, particularly since it would be easier to set up background for a talking head video if it doesn't have to be right next to the PC.

So the receiver plugs in to line in, and has some controls on it? Any suggestions as to manufacturer and model?

Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by chabrenas.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 2 months ago #6128

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Receiver usually has no audio controls, except output level. You can do any EQ in software. Monacor seems to be the cheapest vendor here, delivering acceptable quality. Pocket or handheld transmitters, what better suits you. I owed an audio studio and still have a lot of contacts in audio industry, so usually I use some more expensive brands&models, but Monacor seems to be OK.
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by drkuli. Reason: spelling
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds
Scroll To Top