Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to do voiceover

How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6050

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Dumb question #3. How do I add voiceover commentary to a screen capture video? (Or any other kind of video, for that matter).

I used VirtualDub with VHSScreencap driver to create a file of a sequence of operations on my PC screen. When I import this and run it in a LW player, I see each frame grab with a series of black frames in between. That's probably normal - the AVI source file plays as a continuous video on external viewers.

Now I need some hints about setting up the mic plugged into my PC as an audio input device, and how to set up the edit so that I can create the voice track for this test piece.

If I've missed the relevant section in the manual, please just point me there - unless you have advice to add based on your own experiences. You guys work hard enough already.
HARDWARE (PC): Pentium dual core @2,6GHz, 4Gbyte RAM, 400Gbyte C drive and another 600Gbytes external hard drive. Integral display adapter G33/G31 Express chipset.

The topic has been locked.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6051

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
You'll have to hit the red record button and create a new device. Select Microphone as Type. In Device Configuration select USB/DirectSound as Audio Connection. After that select "Voice Over" as Recording Type, adjust the Preroll and you should be good to go. Notice you can in-/decrease the input level in that window also.

Unless you want to mux video and audio later on with another tool, you should also try to get your video properly imported into LW. Do a search on the forum to get hints about transcoding into a compatible format.
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by THL.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6052

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Thanks, THL. When you say I should get the video properly imported, do you mean that it is not right that I see screenshot frames separated by several balnk (black) frames? The input file appears to be 25fps, and I set 25fps for the project frame rate. LW imported it without complaint.

VirtualDub has been pretty good so far at creating acceptable output, so maybe I'm setting it up wrongly, or could my CPU and graphics card combination not be capable of sampling the screen fast enough?
HARDWARE (PC): Pentium dual core @2,6GHz, 4Gbyte RAM, 400Gbyte C drive and another 600Gbytes external hard drive. Integral display adapter G33/G31 Express chipset.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6053

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
I assume the black frames are there instead of the proper frames, not additionally (the runtime is not a multiple of what it should be). I know a similar phenomenon: one camera I work with creates MOV containers with an XDCAM EX 35 video codec. When I import these files into LW only every 6th frame gets displayed properly. The frames inbetween are just a greyish garble.

If that is the way LW displays the video (it assumes it displays the video correctly... otherwise it would display it differently or have refused import altogether), chances are that it'll look like that once you edited it in LW and export it afterwards.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6055

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Thanks. In that case, have you any suggestions for transcoding tools other than Vdub? I don't really feel up to the task of compiling and installing raw FFmpeg, but are there any free or cheap Windows transcoding apps that incorporate it?

It appears that if I wait a while, LW will have some FFmpeg-based functions, but I want soething to play with now.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6056

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
OK. I think I have configured my mic for voiceover, and selected the edit into which I want to record - but when I click Standby, I get the message 'genlock must be set to external for recording'. What have I forgotten to do?

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6057

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Take a look here. The very same message makes me think LW current beta doesn't support any capture device (video and/or audio, mic included), except FireWire SD DV.
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6059

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Thanks, Dr Kuli. That's my answer. I should have done a forum Search... No hardship, I can easily play the .AVI file in Windows Media or AVS viewer and use another app to record the voice.

However, I still have to find out why Vdub didn't produce a .AVI file that LW could import properly. That will have to wait for a bit - wifie's coming back tomorrow and we'll both end up pretty busy for a few weeks.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6060

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
drkuli wrote:
Take a look here. The very same message makes me think LW current beta doesn't support any capture device (video and/or audio, mic included), except FireWire SD DV.

A while back I made a voice over recording via the microphone input, but it may have been with the previous beta release, I do not remember for sure.
At this very moment I have not a microphone but I'll get one for testing anyways.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6061

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Just tried it. No problem doing voice over recording here (10.0.4.A).

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6062

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
I haven't any mic at hand to check. So what's that 'genlock' message about? Some user faults during device creation?
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6063

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Can't say. It's impossible for me to not get this to work, even if I choose 'Custom' for the device I can do voice over.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6064

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Good to know it works.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6067

• chabrenas
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
OK. I've got it working (escept I need to increase the volume). I used a video file that had imported correctly - loks as if my failed screengrab was the problem. Thanks,everyone, for taking the time to help.

Re: How to do voiceover 7 years, 8 months ago #6068

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
Happy Lightworking!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top