Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Creating Pictures from Video in LW?

Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 7 years, 2 months ago #49707

• Rachele
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
On YouTube you can choose one of the three thumbnails they show or you have the option to upload a custom thumbnail for your video. I want to be able to control which image is seen in the thumbnail picture.

How do I take a still image from my video for this purpose?

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 7 years, 2 months ago #49708

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Mark and Park a single frame in your Edit, click the "Make Copy" icon, and then export the copy via Image Sequence as PNG or JPG. Alternatively, if you have Media Player Classic, you can stop/pause on a frame and then use File->Save Image.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217540

• Shercahn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone explain how to do this in V14? I don't see a "Make Copy" icon. And I can't find the video that explained it before. I got as far as marking In and advancing one frame and then I can't remember the rest. TIA

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217543

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Version 14 or 14.5? That's a lot more recent than the version that this thread refers to.

There is now a command called "Save current frame" which will export as a PNG file the frame that you are parked on. Check your keyboard assignments.

(I'm not being unhelpful when I say to check, but on my system it's assigned to Alt-P. However I vaguely recall changing the key assignment from the default. It might have originally been on one of the function keys.)
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217545

• Shercahn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I guess 14.5 (most current version, sorry about that).

Okay, it took me a while but I found the key assignments and got it to save the frame but it didn't let me choose where. Would you mind telling me how I can direct it where to save things like that (I already have the sequencing saving to the spot I want).

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217547

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
If you can do it I don't know how. It would be a good feature request. I seldom do it - I usually use screen grabs.

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217548

• Shercahn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Alright, thank you!

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217549

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
On Windows operating systems Lightworks saves png-images created with "Save current frame" in the default picture folder.
If the resolution of the PNG image is relevant for you: This is the same as the Video > Format setting in the project settings, and is therefore independent of the screen resolution.

But maybe you are referring to this years old opening thread:

Rachele wrote:
On YouTube you can choose one of the three thumbnails they show or you have the option to upload a custom thumbnail for your video. I want to be able to control which image is seen in the thumbnail picture.
How do I take a still image from my video for this purpose?

Maybe that was a misunderstanding?
All answers given so far in this thread only refer to the creation of an image file from a frame of a sequence.
Whether or how this image can be used on YouTube to generate thumbnails is a question about the function and handling of the YouTube platform.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #217558

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
In windows the file is saved in c:/users/(user name)/pictures.

Adding to shrauber's notes. In LW the clip, sequence and sub-clip picture image shown is dynamic - it changes depending on the frame on winch the object was last parked - this is an important editing-workflow guide.

The frame shown upon first import of a clip is determined by the config.dat entry

# Global frame offset for items that appear in the import browser - where '10' is be the number of frames that you want to use for the offset

#preview_position 10

In the above 'preview_position' setting is '#' inactivated - the image frame is the clip's first frame.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Creating Pictures from Video in LW? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217654

• Shercahn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks RWAV and schrauber. Most of what you said went over my head lol. BUT, I did find the default drives and set pics to D: but it's still saving it to the pics in C:. I'll just have to deal. The good news is I can make a thumbnail to upload to YT (so you guys answered correctly), and I'm getting more comfortable with the hotkeys and easier way to edit (like dragging the text to where you want it).

I'll probably be back with more questions in the future but I can now at least do the basics. I've learned I say "um" and "so" a lot, so, lol, a lot of editing those out. Maybe I'll be a better speaker the more I do this!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top