• Page:

TOPIC: Video routing.........

Video routing......... 7 years, 2 months ago #46362

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Hi all,
if I read the text below as rhinox wrote in his post about "key image titel", I wished I understood Video routing. In the LW guide videorouting is not explained, can anyone tell me where to find material to understand video routing. Or is a tutorial available or planned to make? Wim

"Try comparing their node attachments on the Video Routing panel. It sounds like somehow the Video track that you want to be the background isn't connected to the BG node of the Blend effect. Anyway, make sure that the title is connected to FG and the video is connected to BG. Alternatively, what happens if you remove the Blend effect and then add it again?"
The topic has been locked.

Re: Video routing......... 7 years, 2 months ago #46375

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
"Video routing", as used in the reply, is a reference to the graphical representation of a chain of effects in Lightworks. You can access the routing panel from an effects window. You will see your effect "chained" to other aspects and effects of your video. You can see it looks like wires attached between elements. You can attach, detach, remove, and add connections depending on your desired chain. Most simple effects are automatically chained when you add an effect. You can drag and drop a new effect into place and it will automatically hook up. Generally.

It is fun to experiment with different effects and the sequence of the connections.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

The "How-To" of Video Routing 7 years, 2 months ago #46382

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
I don't believe that there is currently any Video Routing documentation. Maybe something will be included in the new documentation that is set to coincide with the official 11.1 release. That said and to add to donkpow's comments, the Video Routing panel is fairly easy to understand. It's basically a map of the effects and how they are applied/connected to one another.

For example, if you open the Video Routing panel with a video clip in the timeline that has no effects applied to it you'll see a tile with a yellow-tan border around it. This border denotes what is output in the Viewer.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Note: On the right-side of the tile is a half circle. This will be used later to connect effects and tiles together.

If you drag and drop a Flip effect to the clip in the timeline, you'll notice that the effect is added to the right of the tile, a connection has been made from the tile to effect's input, and the yellow-tan border has moved to the Flip effect. You'll now see an image that is flipped.

Similar, though more complex, principles are applied to other effects. Take for instance the Blend effect. This effect has a foreground (FG) and a background (BG). Whatever is connected to the FG will be layered (based on the selected setting) on top of the BG. So, if you add the Blend effect to an image with an alpha channel (ie. when making titles), the title on V1 will be linked to the FG and the video on V2 will be linked to the BG.

The benefit of this node based attachment is that you can created some advanced effects. For instance, say you want to color correct the sky in a shot. This could be done different ways but one of them starts by adding the "Two Tone" effect to your shot. Now adjust the effect so that the majority of the sky is white. In my case, I also added the Mask effect (from khaver) to really clean it up. The following is what the Viewer and Video Routing should look like.

Now we need to add the Color Correction and bring everything together. In the Video Routing panel, add a Color Correction effect and the Masked Blend effect. Connect the V1 tile (ie. half circle mentioned above) to the Color Correction effect and then connect it to the FG of the Masked Blend effect. You'll notice that each time a connection is made with an effect, a new half circle is added to the tile. This doesn't apply to effects... only tiles. Ok, so now connect the V1 tile again (using a different half circle) to the BG and connect the Poly12 mask (from the first step) to the Mask input on the Masked Blend. The Video Routing panel should now look similar to this.

So you have these connections... what do they all mean? Let's start with the foreground.

The foreground has the Color Correction applied to it. Since it's the FG it will be laid on top meaning that all we'll see is the color corrected shot. The problem is, the whole shot is color corrected and not just the sky. So we have to mask out what isn't supposed to have the color correction applied to it. This is where the Two Tone and Mask effects come in. Anything that is white gets color correction applied to it and anything that is black gets masked out. Because the black areas of the matte were masked out, there is no picture... just black. So we connect the original tile to the BG to fill in the black. Voila!

This was just a brief overview but it demonstrates the power of Video Routing. As daunting as it may seem, it's really quite simple to understand. I would encourage you to just try different things. You know, what happens if I connect this there? What happens if I put this effect before that effect in the chain? Connecting tiles/effects in different orders can change your results. Just experiment!

Alternatively, you can apply effects the normal way and look at the Video Routing panel to see what's happening.

Good luck!
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by rhinox202. Reason: Image/Text Corrections

Re: The "How-To" of Video Routing 7 years, 2 months ago #46391

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Wow...............rhinox, thát's great!! Of course I've tried several times to work and understand the mechanism of Video Routing and got more and more the feeling that it's a powerful tool indeed. But not understanding whát you are doing wrong is frustrating and certainly not an incentive. One feels like the dog capturing his tail. But your very detailed and step by step explanation is a perfect guide to start again. And as always, the proof of the pudding is.....
Thanks again for the effort you made; I'm convinced it will also help many others in this Forum but at least a small group of LW enthusiasts here in the Netherlands. Regards, Wim

Re: Video routing......... 7 years, 1 month ago #48330

• conleec
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
^^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for this.
www.ChrisConlee.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm0174749
MacPro (Early 2009 Nehalem, Dual 2.66 Quad Core)
OS X 10.8.3 (Win 7 Pro 64 bit under Bootcamp)
24Gb Ram
GTX 285 GPU

Re: The "How-To" of Video Routing 7 years, 1 month ago #48730

• Cassina
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Thanks rihnox.
As soon as I have a little more time to better read your post (and to apply to some my work), I will do it.
Untill then I can only say THANKS!
MSI Z77A-G45;
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz;
Corsair 16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB);
nVidia GTX770 2GB DDR5 by Gigabyte;
1 SSD 512GB - OS;
2 HDD 1 TB WD Green;
Windows 10 64bit;
QNAP NAS 12TB

Re: Video routing......... 7 years, 1 month ago #49694

• Lebor
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Hello All,

Video routing... PLEASE HELP!!

Two video clips side by side on the timeline on V2, both have a keyable title on V1. As soon as I apply a green or blue screen to the keyable title (a product of After Effects) the video layer should become visible as the background to the title.

On one clip this works perfectly as expected but on the next clip it does not.

On viewing the video routing panel the two look identical - including checking the fg/bg.

I have tried moving them onto different layers, tried removing the effects and putting them back on in a different order... etc etc...

ON FURTHER INSPECTION - IT SEEMS TO BE THE KEYABLE TITLES WHICH ARE CAUSING THE INCONSISTENCY - there is no reason why they should not work now - they were working previously (a few weeks ago).

Any reason why they might not be working now???

Any help would be much appreciated - this is a professional job with a deadline.

Thanks to the insanely unstable export of LW I very nearly missed the last deadline - definitely not starting a new project in LW until many things are fixed.

EDIT - I FIXED THE PROBLEM BY RE IMPORTING THE FILES - NO RHYME OR REASON - JUST RANDOM LW PROBLEM - ONE OF MANY.

Sorry for moaning.... I am normally nice
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by Lebor.

Re: Video routing......... 5 years, 7 months ago #84697

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=84673&Itemid=81#84673
Matt Sandford wrote:
...Accompanying the new version are several new tutorial videos:
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top