• Page:

TOPIC: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc

Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40678

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Hi,

Being a complete newbie, I am struggling a little with things the pros will probably be able to answer without even thinking. I'd be happy with a pointer to the right docu/tutorial/forum post.

First, what do I want to do. I have recorded an amateur theatre production. I had a Panasonic HDC SD90 that I just kept running capturing the whole stage for both acts seperately. Then I had a stereo microphone much closer to the stage and recorded continuous sound using Audacity. I have that as a WAV-file. To make the thing more interesting, I recorded some close-ups with my Canon 7D.

Now, the SD90 recorded AVCHD, split to 4 GB files. Couldn't use them in LW directly, though I have a pro license, as at the joins between the split-parts it showed a few frames of green. Odd. I then used tsmuxer to create one file per act, works better. Don't know yet if I am loosing anything that way.

I experimented a little and found I can rather easily use "Make synchronizer" to get a, well, a sync? Made of my SD90 clips and the separate sound.

Question 1: what is a sync as compared to an edit? I can use it like a track in another edit, correct?

I found kemroll. Sounds interesting, like just what I'd need for the extra shots taken with the 7D. But the clips from the 7D don't seem to have the necessary timrcode, is that right?

Question 2: Is there an easy way to create a kemroll from 7D footage?

Question 3: I see a function called "Auto synchronize". What does it do?

Question 4: What is the difference between "Make sync" and "Make synchronizer"?

Sorry if these are all stupid questions. I was studying the user manual, but either some topics aren't covered or I am just too daft to understand.

Thanks a bunch!
Henrik

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40684

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Hi and welcome!

I haven't used sync groups, so I can't describe that. But here is a way to sync clips in an edit:

Try convert the clips that doesn't work in Lightworks with EFC.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
johannesgustavsson.com
youtube.com/c/JohannesGustavssons
My Lightworks tutorials
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by sennahojx.

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40685

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Thanks. Will have a look.

I feel so green. Don't understand half of the jargon. So any help is much appreciated. Stumbled over another post by you suggesting EyeFrame for Canon files. Will have a look at that as well. Much to learn still.

Best
Henrik

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40686

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
What did you not understand? The video is in both Swedish and English.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
johannesgustavsson.com
youtube.com/c/JohannesGustavssons
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40687

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Oh, the video is fine. No prob. I was just moaning a little because I have to ask stupid questions. And for each one answered, ten new ones pop up. Beginners problems. Thank you very much for your help!

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40689

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I actually used a very similar method to sync my sound to the video. I opened two viewers, one for the WAV, one for the SD90 clip. I knew there were gunshots in the play, so I searched and marked the same shot in both clips. Then I selected "Make synchronizer" from the menue. Apparently leads to the same result, the two clips are synchronized perfectly.

But your method works as well. I any one better? I cannot tell yet.

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40692

• fischerb
HAZET wrote:
I actually used a very similar method to sync my sound to the video. I opened two viewers, one for the WAV, one for the SD90 clip. I knew there were gunshots in the play, so I searched and marked the same shot in both clips. Then I selected "Make synchronizer" from the menue. Apparently leads to the same result, the two clips are synchronized perfectly.

But your method works as well. I any one better? I cannot tell yet.

i wrote some small programm last week to calculate the sync offset automatically based on cross correlation of sound envelope figures. this is a very common practice in DSLR video making to synchonize multiply [sound]-sources and is supported in most other linux NLEs. so i could recycle some code fragments from PiTiVi (jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2011/07/25/automated-multicamera-clip-syncing/) and write a little command line wrapper around it do get the necessary results for timecode corrections in lightworks. it's written in python and should run on any plattform where ffmpeg is available. i still have to write a few lines of documentation to make it useable to other people but otherwise it's working very well...

and for the split parts problem -- simply use the concatenate feature of ffmpeg in the preprocessing step (ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/How%20to%20concatenate%20%28join,%20merge%29%20media%20files) an your will not see any gap between the AVCHD mpeg transport stream parts.
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by .

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40693

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Thank you as well! Cross correlation sounds like automating what we do manually at the moment. I will check it out, sounds promising.

(Though I am beginning to ask myself on what journey I embarked.)

Henrik

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40696

• fischerb
HAZET wrote:
I will check it out, sounds promising.

please be patient just for a few days. i'll publish the final script in a useful form soon as possible.

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40712

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
okay

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40713

• fischerb
so -- here it is:

users.mur.at/ms/projects/clapperless/clapperless

it's a simple python script. you can execute it on any plattform as "python clapperless ...".

for basic operation specify a list of files and you get the offsets back. the first file has to be the audio reference. you can use all video and audio files supported by ffmpeg -- for example:

python clapperless  4CH000M.wav 3O6A4983.MXF 3O6A4984.MXF 3O6A4985.MXF
# offset	filename
00:50:22:07	3O6A4983.MXF
00:52:21:10	3O6A4984.MXF
00:53:59:23	3O6A4985.MXF

the default frame rate / calculating precision is set to 25fps. you can change it by option '-r/--rate'.

if you have a bunch of files, the option '-c/--use-cache' is very useful. it analyze the files only once and temporary stores the result.

there are some more complicated options (time slices, plausibility checks etc.) implemented, but they are usually not necessary.

dont't expect to much!
it's just a quick hack to replace some missing feature in lightworks.

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40714

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
and for the split parts problem -- simply use the concatenate feature of ffmpeg in the preprocessing step (ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/How%20to%20concatenate%20%28join,%20merge%29%20media%20files) an your will not see any gap between the AVCHD mpeg transport stream parts.

I get a few warnings
PES packet size mismatch

and errors
mmco: unref short failure

but the result seems to be okay.

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40715

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Thanks for the script.

I installed python 3.3.0 x64 on my Win7 and tried to run it, but I get this:

File "e:\temp\clapperless.py", line 512
    print dir(), globals().keys()

My python skills aren't existing, so I cannot debug quickly.
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by HAZET. Reason: bbCode error

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40716

• fischerb
HAZET wrote:
Thanks for the script.

I installed python 3.3.0 x64 on my Win7 and tried to run it, but I get this:

File "e:\temp\clapperless.py", line 512
    print dir(), globals().keys()

My python skills aren't existing, so I cannot debug quickly.

the print statement is one of the main differences between python2.x and python3.

i made a new version with some changes. please download again.

i'm still using python 2.x for most of may work but i can install python3 for further testing if you still have some problems.

sorry!

Re: Newbie questions re kemroll, syncs etc 5 years, 8 months ago #40717

• HAZET
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
No, I am sorry. I could have asked. I'll try again and will install python 2 if necessary.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top