Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll?

Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll? 4 days, 22 hours ago #232226

• Brickie78
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 days, 22 hours ago
Apologies, I'm still learning, so it may well be there's a screamingly obvious thing I've missed.

I'm doing some videos on Formula 1, and want to use the text roll to show the grid positions at the start of a race. As you may or may not know, the cars line up left and right, so I want rather than one central column of text, two staggered columns, IYSWIM.

... As it is, the roll defaults to centred, and so I use spaces before/after each line to move the text to where I want it, but it's messy and difficult to get it aligned properly when names are different lengths and so on. youtu.be/gQND4xWLTqY?t=254 for an example of what the end result looks like.

It's ... fine, but is there any better solution for achieving what I want to?
Last Edit: 4 days, 22 hours ago by Brickie78.

Re: Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll? 4 days, 22 hours ago #232229

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 22 hours ago
Hello,

Changing the text alignment within a single roll effect isn't possible. Using two rolls, one for the left block, one for the right could be a workaround, but perhaps not trivial to synchronize properly.

I think, I would do that with a text processor which allows rendering to PNG with text over transparency (e.g. MS PowerPoint) and animate it via the Image effect in Lightworks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll? 4 days, 21 hours ago #232235

• Brickie78
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 days, 21 hours ago
Thanks. Looks like I need to learn to do a new thing in Open Office then.

I'm guessing the same goes for a table of results/championship standings at the end - create the table in PP, export as a PNG and import it?

Currently I have it in a Google sheet, and I'm using the snipping tool to key in a screenshot of the spreadsheet... :eyeroll:

Re: Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll? 4 days, 21 hours ago #232238

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 21 hours ago
Check out Google slides. I don't know, but perhaps it allows doing what you need.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is there a way to left-right justify text in a roll? 4 days, 16 hours ago #232261

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
This is how the production office prepares credit rolls. The editor never takes responsibility for name omissions or spelling errors.

In Word
Lay out the titles as 2 columns.
Copy/Paste each column separately into a plain text editor like 'notepad'
Save each as a plain .txt file
Send the files to the editor

In LW
Copy paste each side into separate LW text VFX.
They will line up

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It may take a couple of tests with a short roll to get the office part of the process right.

No need for image files with the above workflow and occasionally the editor is still able to make last minute spelling fix-ups or even job/name additions by careful editing each side of the roll.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 4 days, 16 hours ago by RWAV.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top