Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD

Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223070

Not sure how I would find answers to this problem, so here goes. I'm relatively new to this world, so I'm sorry I don't know all the correct terminology.

I have 12 simultaneous videos set up in a grid (a virtual choir), with one audio stereo pair from one of the videos (I'll need to add another stereo pair later, but hopefully that's irrelevant). After setting up the grid, when I start playing the Sequence, the audio (and the red pointer) get stuck in a little loop, playing the same 1-second material several times, then skipping to another bit and doing the same thing, and so on.

All videos have been run through HandBrake with the same conversion settings which I've learned from another thread on here. I have NOTHING else running on my laptop, and only yesterday I took several steps to clean up and maximize performance. I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. I hope I don't have to redo all of this in another app because this one can't handle what I need to do. I seem to remember there's a way to get 'metadata' for the experts to analyse, but couldn't find how to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223073

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
I know these virtual choirs are popular these days, but it gets very demanding on your computer, Have a look at these threads to see if they help you to progress.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=222552&Itemid=81#222552

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=222089&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223074

Thank you. Will do.

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223083

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Assuming that you you've used the Production Standard preset of Handbrake to convert your media and your sources have a resolution of 720p or above, for somehow fluent playback with 12 video tracks, proxy editing is mandatory.

Use the lowest available settings, which is 240p-low.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223085

Yes, thank you. I did discover that in the user guide, and I'm in the process of creating proxies even as I type this. There was another thread that mentioned using bins, but that didn't seem to make much difference. A brief test with four videos using proxy showed a big difference. Thanks again.

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 1 week ago #223088

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Bins, same as Filters, don't have any impact on editing performance, except of the resources it needs to show and update the tiles. Bins represent a special non-hierarchical (read: linear) folder structure┬┤and are used to organize media.

I suspect you have read about a 'multicam bin' in the context of chorus videos. A multicam bin is a special kind of bin. It's used for syncing multiple sources. It isn't mandatory but greatly helpful when working with synced sources, which is what chorus videos usually show. I made this demo with 5 views of a life recording recently, which shows syncing by matching waveform of embedded and separately recorded sound manually:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Multiple video (grid) with single stereo audio - playback is like scratched CD 6 days, 16 hours ago #223127

Yes, thank you - I saw that on another thread, and it was helpful for understanding this feature. Using proxies turned out to be the magic fix for the problems I was having.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.65 seconds
Scroll To Top