Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there an efficient way to remove the weird black bars on small pieces of media?

Is there an efficient way to remove the weird black bars on small pieces of media? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221126

• treese
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
So I just started using this program today, and I've run into an issue. I'm trying to make a video that will frequently have screenshots and images laid on top of some b-roll gameplay footage. The images that I'm laying on top of the b-roll are almost always smaller in resolution than the footage, but for some reason the parts of the screen that they don't cover are completely black. The first picture I include should be a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If this were in Premiere (what I have experience in), that black space would be transparent, as seen in the second picture in which I used 2D DVE's crop function to trim out the black space. I'm not really asking on how to fix this issue, I already know how to do that. What I want to know is if there's an easier or more efficient way to do it. The crop settings are super imprecise and mostly just require a lot of eyeballing and retrying to get it right. Is there some kind of effect or option that just removes the black space without using crop? Or is there a faster/easier way to crop it out?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Is there an efficient way to remove the weird black bars on small pieces of media? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221128

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hello,

Regularly imported media are scaled and padded with solid black to project dimensions, thus you need to crop to remove the padded area.

Try the effect 'Image Key'. It uses the image without scaling and padding at original dimensions. Starting with Lightworks 2020.1, you can assign already imported stills to the image key.

Edit: With earlier versions it was necessary to assign images from the file system, which still works.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Is there an efficient way to remove the weird black bars on small pieces of media? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221129

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
By the way, to create an image overlay in simple manner, you can drag & drop the image from the content browser onto the sequence viewer. The classic two step process of applying the image key effect first and linking an image to it afterwards of course still works.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is there an efficient way to remove the weird black bars on small pieces of media? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #221130

• treese
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Thanks, this is definitely a much easier solution to the problem.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top