Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please

I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 4 days ago #218636

• domyhomework
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
I was finishing up my edit and cutting out the left over black spaces at the end of the video and i just kept spamming cut to get rid of them. I then realised my video had disappeared. i must of accidentally cut the edit instead of the blank spaces. i was desperately wondering if theirs some way of undoing an unlimited amount of times or going back a previous time my edit was complete.

Re: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 4 days ago #218639

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hello,

The number of Undo steps (Ctrl+Z) per sequence is limited to 10 by default, which might or might not be sufficient to reveal deleted parts. However, I'm not sure that you've deleted the sequence.

In Edit or Log mode, click 'Project Contents' up left and select Filters.Sequences'. Open the sequences by double-clicking one by one and see if you can find the missing.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 3 days ago #218649

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Is there anything left in the Timeline, or is the Timeline completely empty?

Lightworks also saves milestones of sequence editing steps, which can be easily restored and selected in Lightworks version 2020.1 (new method, details if relevant in your case). But this only makes sense if you have opened the original sequence (Lightworks can manage multiple sequences with separate timelines). See the previous post by hugly. Do you see a different sequence name (maybe a different sequence number)?

So you have to distinguish between the following cases:
- Deleted content of a timeline of the current sequence?
- A new or different sequence has been opened?
- Deleted sequence including timeline?

Depending on this, different procedures are required.

It may also be useful to copy the Lightworks folder that contains the relevant data before attempting to repair the sequence. On Windows systems you will find the folder in this path: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks
(not to be confused with the installation folder of the same name)
This way you can prevent failed repair attempts from causing data loss.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by schrauber.

Re: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 3 days ago #218670

• domyhomework
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Heyy thanks for the reply. I thought i would have a saved sequence there but i only have two and both have nothing on them. also i need way more than 10 Undo's

Re: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 3 days ago #218671

• domyhomework
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
The timeline is completely empty and i see the same sequence name as before. i managed to recover the first 2 mins of the sequence but i can't find any more.
I think i might just have to accept it and continue with what i've got thank you for your help

Re: I accidentally deleted 5 hrs of work help please 1 week, 3 days ago #218672

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
domyhomework wrote:
i managed to recover the first 2 mins of the sequence but i can't find any more..

What procedure did you use for this?

If you want to use milestones, I recommend to use the current version 2020.1 Milestones usually go back further than the normal undo function. Version 14.x also creates the milestones, but with 14.x it is much more complicated to find and restore the right milestone.

Lightworks 2020.1:
Right click on the sequence from which you want to get milestones, and [Make] and [Bin of milestones].

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Lightworks 2020.1 will now create a new bin in the project content that contains multiple sequences. These are the milestones (or new sequences created from milestones), which are earlier versions of your sequence. The bin name contains the name of the sequence from which the milestones were created.
The milestone name contains the date and time.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Sometimes the original sequence name is probably also displayed (please do not confuse it with the original sequence).
See if there is a milestone that is closest to the state before your accidental deletion.
Once you find the right milestone, continue working with it, or make a copy of it. Give the sequence a new name that prevents confusion. Place the sequence in another bin to avoid confusion.

Note that you will get many new sequences in the sequence filter of your project content. If you are sure that you don't need the other sequences created from milestones anymore, you can delete them (preferably from the milestone bin to avoid deleting the wrong sequence.) Deleted sequences can also be restored.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top