Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merging/exporting sequences

Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217803

• FCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi, I am still relatively new to Lightworks and the world of editing videos. I have 2 sequences in my project. One is about 27 minutes long and the other is about 14. I need to create one video for a talk.

1) how do I merge the sequences in order to have just one video?

2) after merging them, do I just export it as I would a single sequence?

Thank you kindly.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217806

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
You can treat a sequence the same as another clip, you can use any of the usual methods to place one sequence anywhere you wish into a sequence timeline.

You can then export, it's not an unusual workflow.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217809

• FCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you. I will do that.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217920

• kuzzmi
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Have a similar question.

If I create several sequences (to make things a bit more tidy) and then try to merge them in another sequence, those original show up as if I would not use sequences at all and changes remain only in the original sequences, but not in the main one.

How should I approach having one main sequence that is built from other sequences and work with them as like with single objects? Is this even possible?

I've spent more than two hundred hours with Lwks and still there are small things that are counterintuitive, but there should always be the reason.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217925

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
You can put the old ones in to a separate bin, but they will always be in the filters. There is little impact on storage on your hard drive, since they only exist as logs, which are just text.

You can delete them as well by clicking on the sequence tile in the content manager and select delete in the sequence commands.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217927

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
kuzzmi wrote:
Have a similar question.

If I create several sequences (to make things a bit more tidy) and then try to merge them in another sequence, those original show up as if I would not use sequences at all and changes remain only in the original sequences, but not in the main one.

How should I approach having one main sequence that is built from other sequences and work with them as like with single objects? Is this even possible?

I've spent more than two hundred hours with Lwks and still there are small things that are counterintuitive, but there should always be the reason.

Hello,

There's no way to establish a parent-child relation between sequences, i.e. sequences in Lightworks are independent objects.

Working on several sequences to merge them afterwards is a commonly used workflow. The fastes method to do that: Select sequence tiles in a bin or a filter and execute 'Make. Sequence from selection' from 'Bin Commands'. This merges all selected sequence in the order they are sorted in the bin/filter. The track layout is adapted automatically to include all available tracks.

In bins it's possible to disable 'Automatic positioning' from View Commands' in order to sort the clips manually. However, I'd suggest defining the sort order by a leading string in the sequences name, something like '1 , 2, .. ' or 'A01 , A02 .. B01, B02 ..' so that the sort order when sorting by name matches the order they ares supposed to appear in the merged sequence.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217943

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
There's no way to establish a parent-child relation between sequences, i.e. sequences in Lightworks are independent objects.

For completeness only:
Although this is usually correct, there are rare exceptions to this rule, which in this case are probably not relevant.
In the rare event that someone has inserted sequences from a Multicam Bin into another sequence, or has used the keyboard command `Twin Playing` on the source and target sequence, care should be taken when deleting sequences that are no longer required.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217950

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
schrauber wrote:
In the rare event that someone has inserted sequences from a Multicam Bin into another sequence, or has used the keyboard command `Twin Playing` on the source and target sequence, care should be taken when deleting sequences that are no longer required.
Personally, I consider this behaviour to be a bug rather than a dangerous feature.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Merging/exporting sequences 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217956

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Fortunately, I have macros with which I can specifically switch off this behavior.

I also have macros that I can use to turn it on, but I no longer use it because Lightworks 2020.1 has more reliable features for my purposes.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top