Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition?

Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217713

• rayzorsan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi All,

Very noob in terms of video formatting. I am looking for something that looks the best on YouTube videos.

I have a pro license and have been using H.264/MP4 in DCI 4k, 59.94 FPS.

It seems like the videos I export still lose some substantial quality. Anything else I can be doing?

Attached is my export sequence.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217714

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

You can do a lot with the Pro version, but in fact, with critical footage, Youtube sets the limits, not Lightworks. That's because they, same as other streaming services, convert everything, uploaded in whatever format, with their own encoders to their own standards prior to exposing it to the public for streaming.

Since discussing about video quality is pointless without seeing anything, could you post a frame grab (of the source) in JPEG format of one critical frame in original resolution which shows quality loss on export with Lightworks?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217717

• rayzorsan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Oh, Thank you Hugly. I think that is probably what I am experiencing then.

Because the difference when I look frame by frame is not huge.

Does the Question "Is MP4 DCI 4k 59.94 FPS a high quality format?" not have an answer as well then?

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217719

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I have not idea what you're encountering.

If you cannot show some critical samples, it will be difficult to discuss about quality. That's because "video quality" is a highly fuzzy term. I don't know what you see, so I may understand something entirely different when talking about quality.

Anyway, beside of frame dimensions, video formats are not categorized by quality, but by encoding efficiency, which is a trade off btween visual quality vs bitrate vs encoding speed. With all lossy format, like h.264/MP4 of Lightworks, the results are closely related to the content of the source video.

In Lightworks, you have one adjustment exposed to the user for influencing encoder efficiency of h.264 exports: Bitrate. Click on the slider symbol far right in the line 'Compression' of the export panel to see your options.

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #217727

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Back on this.

Let's assume that "h.264/MP4 DCI 4k 59.94 FPS" would be considered to be a high quality format, what would be your comment or your questions on this?

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #218027

• rayzorsan
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I would have started looking elsewhere if that was a high quality format, which is what I ended up doing. So I did eventually get to where I needed to be.

My actual problem was not lightworks, so looks like lightworks still killin' it.

My problem was for OBS, which I use to record the videos on. No idea why but it even made the original recording fuzzy sometimes. Guessing it has to do with the massive amount of CPU/GPU usage upfront.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by rayzorsan.

Re: Which Video Format has Best Quality for Pro Edition? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #218030

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
For the further discussion, let's assume that "good quality" means that compression artifacts are not visible. I assume that you record 4K gameplay with fast moving scenes.

H.264 is considered to be a high quality codec, but it's lossy and highly compressed. Video compression is always a trade off between quality vs file size vs encoding speed/load and the results depend highly on the content. Compression can be adjusted via encoder parameters. Screen recording is a demanding and time critical process and parameters need to be adjusted individually, depending on the used computer,d the gameplay and the recording software, in order to find the best possible balance.

OBS is mainly focused on h.264/h.265 recording, but lossless capture modes do exist as well. The downside of lossless codecs: The resulting files are huge, you need a lot of drive space and very (!) fast drives. The benefits: Low processing load and best possible quality.

As a first step, I'd suggest optimizing the encoder settings in OBS to find a good balance of quality and performance on your system. Adapting the h.264 encoder setting in Lightworks accordingly is comparably simple, because only bitrate settings are exposed to the user and the export process is not time critical. The default range of available bitrates is a good point to start with, but can be overridden manually, if necessary.

Edit: And, if you are finished with optimizing your settings, fully satisfied with the edited results watched locally with a media player, ready to share it with the world on Youtube, the results might not look so pretty after the Youtube encoders finished their work on your video.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top