Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ...

Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 3 weeks ago #217702

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello.

Excuse my poor terminology. As I have gotten to know this excellent piece of software better, I find I am making more complex projects. This leads to a problem which I'm sure there must be a simple answer to.

Let's say I have a big 'clump' of stuff (clips, audio, text, VFX) and I've decided I want to put something extra before this 'clump', how can I move the clump as one item to make space?

My current workaround is I start everything at about 3 minutes, in case I want to add stuff to the start.

Also, my method for removing a middle part of a clump is to delete the bits I don't want, cut and remove any VFX which are still bridging this gap, then mark each side of this empty space and use the 'delete marked section and close gap' icon. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it or a workaround.

Again, excuse my poor terminology and hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 3 weeks ago #217704

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Hellp,

There's no need to 'make space'. Simply use one of the functions to insert.

For instance, mark a section in the source viewer, move the timeline marker to the frame you want to insert the section and hit the V-key (which is assigned to the command 'Insert' by default). Or drag a clip and hold the Shift-key down prior to dropping into the timeline. The latter is supported by magnetic alignment to cuts and the timeline marker.

If you haven't watched the Quickstart video tutorial, it's truly worth it.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 3 weeks ago #217730

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply. I have watched this tutorial, but on watching it again it seems not much of it sunk in!

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 3 weeks ago #217731

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Beside of the video, did my explanations above help a little and if they didn't, what information are you missing?

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 2 weeks ago #217997

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi Hugly.

I didn't really get it from your explanation, but that's entirely down to my lack of knowledge. I have never used the source viewer, so I wasn't familiar with marking clips, then dropping them in the timeline from there.

I've tended to just drag and drop, and chop them up in on the actual timeline, mainly because I can see the waveforms where the cuts need to be made. (I can never do a clean take to camera, so I talk in single sentences, leaving gaps and tidying up 'in the mix' so to speak.)

I understand now how to drop things in the middle of a job. And from another post, how to move the contents of an entire track.

I just love Lightworks so much!!!!!!

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 2 weeks ago #218001

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
kubricksaid wrote:
.. mainly because I can see the waveforms where the cuts need to be made..

In Lightworks 2020.1 (fixed layout) you can open a small timeline with waveforms at the bottom of the source viewer. In the flexible layout of all Lightworks versions you can open multiple timelines with waveforms for source and target viewer.

You can also add cue markers to the source timelines and set the relevant source cues to automatically appear in the target sequence timeline.

If you'd like to pre-sort your material, and perhaps split individual scenes from a clip into subclips before adding them to the sequence timeline, check out the official tutorials in the Content Management category. These tutorials were created using an older version of Lightworks, which has a layout similar to today's flexible layout.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 2 weeks ago #218005

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for this information. I will explore this for sure.

Re: Moving lots of 'things' at the same time, to the same place, without 'yellow lining' ... 8 months, 2 weeks ago #218010

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Just one additional note:

The concept of 'Mark & Park' to specify a section in the timeline is essential for many operations in Lightworks: Insert, replace, delete, remove, cut/copy & paste, moving sections with the mouse to insert/replace, applying effects on FX, and what not. It's worth it to make yourself familiar with this concept.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top