Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem With Transitions

Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215066

I am trying to add a dissolve effect and i guess I want some black part between the two clips (the clips are parts of longer clips, I have cut them in lwks). When i leave some space between the two clips (and select to here on the first clip etc etc while adding the transition to the first clip) i get that pleasing effect.. When I unite the clips lwks thinks that it's better if we actually took some part of the clip we cut and play it too while transitioning.. .-. Oh and also when i add dissolve to the second clip and there is still space between the two clips and I unite them, lwks crashes. Ubuntu 1904 btw.. I will find a way but hey I want to know if I was struggling for nothing. or that if I dont like it that way then its my problem.

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215070

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds a bit like you want to fade out one shot and fade in the other. You use dissolve ending at the first clip, leave a gap of at least one frame between the clips and them start the dissolve at the start of the second. These will use the timeline black to create the dissolve to black i.e. a fade.

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215073

isnt there any other way of doing that without leaving an empty frame?

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215075

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Ask yourself: is an empty frame a problem? Usually with a fade to black you need to hold on black for a beat or two before fading up again for comfortable pacing. If you really absolutely must just hit black before immediately doing something else, put the shot you want to do that with on its own track.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215080

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Deadly.Unicorn_ wrote:
isnt there any other way of doing that without leaving an empty frame?

There is, a Blend with unconnected background and keyframes on Opacity, for instance.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

However, when watching Hollywood movies closely, you will remember what the wise man says about duration of darkness on the screen.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215086

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
One afternoon when I was bored with nothing better to do in late 2018 I created a fade down and a fade up effect.

They fade any video to which they're applied up from black or down to black and each require one input only. That single input can be a composite of multiple video and effects layers, allowing you to easily fade in and out of really complicated timelines. And if you truly want to you can butt them together with no blank space between them.

They are applied in the same way as you would apply a title effect, i.e., by marking the region that the fade in or out is to occupy. The screen grabs above show the way the effects appear in the timeline, and you can play Dx_FadeOutIn.mp4 to see them in action. You will note that in that example there's about five or six frames of black between the two fades, which is uncomfortably fast and really should be longer.

Download Fades.zip if you want to try them and check out Custom Effects Installation for installation instructions.

There is also a similar pair of effects that simulate the exposure curve of a film optical fade. They look somewhat more dramatic, and are in OpticalFades.zip. They are used in exactly the same way as the two effects above.

You should play OpticalFade.mp4 to really see how they feel. The comment about the pacing of the black also applies to this preview.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215088

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
A simple two instances of a key-framed blend one fading down to a user selected level the next fading up from a user selected level. The example below was made by placing one blend and breaking it into two instances with an empty cut at the cut between shots.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215089

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Still easier to mark the range you want to cover and apply a dedicated effect though. No keyframing, no routing, nothing more to do.

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215090

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
FWIW

Another NLE has something it calls 'Dip to Black. It's an inline transition which dissolve to and/or from black depending on where it sits. When applied centered on a cut, it dissolves to black on the outgoing and from black on the incoming. When applied 'from here', it dissolves from black, applied to here it dissolves to black. One effect three functions.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215104

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
This is a LW forum - what other NLE's do is by definition beyond the scope of discussion here. In any case 'dip to black' seems to be pretty well exactly what the OP has enunciated is not suitable for their needs and desires.

jwrl - perhaps I misunderstand the 'fades' user effect you've described.

My post simply makes the point that (a) standard LW VFX tools can do the job quite easily. ( it is not do-able with those tools as an inline effect - one needs to use LW multi-track VFX tools on a single track.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Problem With Transitions 3 months, 1 week ago #215111

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Don't get me wrong - it's an effect I created when I was bored, and it works as advertised.

Do I use it? Of course not. I use a dissolve when I need a fade to or from black.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top