Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds

Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215047

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Apologies. Newbie here... probably a dumb@ss question.

I import a clip into a new project. It is 35 seconds long. The only thing I want to do is overlay a title onto the entire clip.

But when I drag it into a sequence, it becomes 17+ seconds long.

Am I dealing with frame rate issues here? If not, what then? For the life of me, I can't seem to get a 35 second clip to work on.

FWIW, I was able to load this clip into Filmora and Openshot and do what I wanted to do... but Filmora is watermarked unless I pay and Openshot has limited titling features.

The source file is attached.

TIA
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215056

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

That might be an issue related to the frame rate or the format of the video. It should be fixable by converting prior to import.

Could you post a Mediainfo report of the original footage, please? Here you'll find information on how to create and post Mediainfo reports:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215057

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Posting the above, I missed that the video you shared is the original footage.

It appears to be captured from some SD tape and then converted to MP4 somehow. Can you tell, how has this video has been created?

Edit: What version of Lightworks do you run?

Maybe I'm thinking too complicated? Are you aware that the position of the playhead on the source clip, no matter if on the viewer or the tile, specifies the start frame when inserting/replacing the clip into the timeline?
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215065

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for your reply.

My Lightworks version is 14.5.0.0

The video I attached in my last post was a clip of an earlier video that was a screen capture of a video using SnagIt.

And while I am fully capable of doing incredibly dumb things with all kinds of software, I do believe I've got everything zeroed.

In fact, when I used a marker in at 5 seconds and a marker out at 40 seconds, then inserted it into a sequence, I got the video but with only 8 to 10 seconds of playing video, then black.

I have attached the orginal video created by SnagIt, although both videos exhibit the same time clipping phenomenon.

TIA
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by StrongEagle.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215078

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Try the video below. Does it work as expected?
Attachments:

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215134

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
So, YES!, your attached video clip imported fine. I was able to clip off the first five seconds and got a proper sequence.

You must know something I don't. Did this clip require preprocessing? Or were there input parameters that I need to know about.

Many thanks for your help.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215137

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
You're welcome!

The cause of the trouble is that your clip is captured in 15 fps. Lightworks has some issues, even with the current beta, with low frame rates, i.e. frame rates below 24 fps are handled with a very special logic, which isn't documented anywhere.

I converted the clip with Handbrake to 30 fps which is what you should do for all screen recordings of that kind. I din't use exactly those settings for the file above, but here you'll find settings for a simple and suitable setup of handbrake:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81#209009

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215141

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
OK. Thank you. I ended up using the free (for non commercial use) version of VideoPad which had no problems with the video clip (but only lets me save in .wmv and not .mp4).

My only actions were to cutoff the first 5 seconds and add a title to create this:

youtu.be/VaKEy5lNB_8

Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215145

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I don't understand why you didn't use the file I've converted for you with Lightworks?

Anyway, good luck.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215146

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Because I had the other editor available on my computer, I was looking for a down and dirty solution to produce my video, and I got it working before receiving an answer here.

OTOH, I am intrigued by Lightworks and although I didn't use it for this project, I want to know more about it. I now know it has this frame rate limitation; now I will play around and see what it does in comparison to other editors.

Cheers.

Re: Clip Cutoff At About 17 Seconds 3 months, 1 week ago #215158

• StrongEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Here's the link to the same video from Ligthworks, using the input file you created. Titling is much more robust in LW.

youtu.be/ikjbeP_3O-I
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top