Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Imported stills

Imported stills 4 weeks, 1 day ago #211903

• Airsyme
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
I really like using Lightworks, and have been working on a project with a lot of stills. My video is set to 720p and most of my stills are 1280x720, and so importing them works well. There are a few stills that are 1280 pixels wide but with heights greater than 720. They vary, sometimes around 1000 or 900 pixels. These I would like to pan from top to bottom. The default for stills is that they are shrunk to fit within the project and so these tall stills are shrunk to fit the height. I then need to spend a bit of time for each one of these to pan in and make the images fit by their width. Is there a way to change some setting so that the still will import automatically at full width?
Thanks for any help,
Arild

Re: Imported stills 4 weeks, 1 day ago #211909

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Import those non-standard aspect ratio stills via the Image Key effect - that will give you the ability to scale/pan/zoom as required.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by RWAV.

Re: Imported stills 4 weeks, 1 day ago #211922

• Airsyme
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Thanks for replying,
I'm wondering if the image key-effect is much different from adding the still and then applying a 2D VDE? I'm still learning about the different effects and I think that there are probably different ways of doing the same thing, but that each different way must have a bit of an advantage over another similar way.
Arild

Re: Imported stills 4 weeks, 1 day ago #211923

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Airsyme wrote:
I'm wondering if the image key-effect is much different from adding the still and then applying a 2D VDE?

A important difference is often the zoom quality:

Airsyme wrote:
..The default for stills is that they are shrunk to fit within the project and so these tall stills are shrunk to fit the height..

Correct, before the DVE effect, image or video is scaled to the format specified in the project settings (when exporting to the export format).
When minimized, the resolution is lower than before.
Now when you zoom with the 2D DVE Effect, the Effect (and almost all other effects) will use the previously minimized image with the lower resolution.

The image key effect always uses the original resolution. Therefore this effect can sometimes produce sharper results.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by schrauber.

Re: Imported stills 4 weeks, 1 day ago #211924

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Airsyme wrote:
Is there a way to change some setting so that the still will import automatically at full width?

With normal import:
Yes, you can set the auto pre-scaling to "Full zoom" in the project settings:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Note that this will be applied to everything you import into this project (but it does not affect the "Image key effect", because it bypasses the normal import filter).
You can't change the center of the auto zoom with this method.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by schrauber.

Re: Imported stills 4 weeks ago #211926

• Airsyme
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your explanation, that really helps.
Arild
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top