Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: exported result is different to my edit

exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211212

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

Im very new to video editing in general and Lightworks in particular, but Ive started learning and enjoy it a lot!

Ive ran into a problem where some of my clips in a project get a different in/out timing when I export the project that I need help to solve.

Ive searched the web and forum and found similar topics but nothing that solves my exact problem so I really would appreciate some help.

My projects consists of clips from my DJI Osmo Pocket camera. Normal clips are 25fps and so is the project itself as well, but Ive also used some slowmotion clips from the same camera that are 30fps. All were imported to the project in the same way by simply dropping them into LW and then made proxies as my PC is too slow to handle the originals when editing.
My understanding was that LW could handle different fps in the same project and during the edit-process there were no obstacles and I could insert and edit the clips into the timeline to my liking. However the problem arose when I finally exported the finished project and the in/out editing for all my slowmotion clips is messed up. The duration of the clips is same as edited, bu the in/out is earlier than Ive edited.

Ive noted that the timeline in my slowmotion clips don’t show time figures but only a series of >>>>>>> marks. What does this mean?

What do I have to do to make the corrupted clips in the exported video to match with what I actually edited?
(It’s a rather long project so I don’t want re-make the whole project, only change the slowmotion clips, or preferably just make some setting tweaks.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211214

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

What frame rate did you use for your project in Lightworks?

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211215

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
The project is 25fps. (I used "Auto" when I created the project)

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211217

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Auto will use the frame rate in the first video you imported for the project, That's not a mixed frame rate, you should select mixed frame rate if you are using media with different frame rates

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211219

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I see!
Can I "convert" my existing project to Mixed? Or is there a way to copy/paste my current work into a new project that I create as Mixed?

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211223

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
fudomaeman wrote:
Ive noted that the timeline in my slowmotion clips don’t show time figures but only a series of >>>>>>> marks. What does this mean?

That means most likely that your timeline is corrupted which might be the cause of the difference between what you see in preview and the exported file. Could you post a screenshot of your timeline which shows those marks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: exported result is different to my edit 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211239

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
No screenshot, but the problem seem to have been that I had not choosen Mixed framerates when I created to project as briandrys kindly answered.

Now I wonder how I can move my edited timeline into a new project with the Mixed framerates setup?

problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211454

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi all!

Im rather new to all this and many hours into a project I realized I have to change the frame-rate for the project to "mixed" as I have both 25fps and 30fps clips (and when exported the 30fps clips dont play correctly). The original project is 25fps (set through Auto)

I tried to create a new project with Mixed-fps and then from my original 25fps-project choose "Add to" into the new project.
But when I open the added sequence inside the new project the sounds no longer matches its respective video clip (the sound lags behind the video) and the video appears a bit strange as well.

What do I do wrong? How can I change my original project from 25fps to Mixed-fps OR How can I Add it to a new project with mixed-fps without corrupted video/audio sync?

Thanks alot for your advice!

problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211457

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Your question seems to be a continuation from this discussion?

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=211212&Itemid=81#211239

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211461

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I have merged your two threads on this topic.

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211464

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
fudomaeman wrote:
What do I do wrong? How can I change my original project from 25fps to Mixed-fps OR How can I Add it to a new project with mixed-fps without corrupted video/audio sync?

You can't change an existing project from 25 fps to mixed (aka 24 fps). When moving or adding sequences, the frame rate of the source and target projects should match to avoid unexpected side effects, i.e. 24 to 24, 25 to 25, 30 to 30 is good, 25 to 24 is not good.

Since you've started editing already in a 25 fps project, I'd suggest converting media with other frame rates to 25 fps prior to import, e.g. with Eyeframe Converter or Handbrake.

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211465

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Just a side note to experienced people who want to test with 2020 beta: There are improvements of 'Add to' and 'Move to' with not matching frame rates, which look promising.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211466

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your advice! Ill try out the converters for my 30fps clips...

And if LW can handle this smoother in future versions that would be great!

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211471

• fudomaeman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
The converter works like a charm!

Next question; I have a clip from which Ive cut out a long range of short clips in a row onto my sequence - is there a way to apply this sequence-pattern to the respective converted clip so I dont have to redo all the mark&park editing?

Re: problem when moving sequence into another project 2 months, 2 weeks ago #211476

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
There are ways to replace existing media with converted in the timeline automatically, either by switching media on OS level with Lightworks shut down or by using the function 'Find clips to fill sequence. However, both methods require the original and the replaced material to have the same frame count and duration (read: the same frame rate). They are not suitable for switching material with different frame rates.

That was general theory. In your case it appears that there's more trouble ahead.

As mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure that your timeline is corrupted, probably because something is wrong with your 30 fps "slow motion" footage. 30 fps shouldn't be importable into 25 fps projects at all and this is most likely the cause of the problems you've encountered, wrong timing when exporting and chevron patterns instead of timecode in the timeline.

Of course you can try your luck and see if switching works, but honestly, if I had your problem, I would create a new sequence and start all over again with the converted media.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top