Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track?

what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210133

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
it s a ll in the title...

I have the problem that sometimes, to see a video that is underlying another video, I can uncheck the upper video, to see the video underlying. and sometimes this doesnt seem to work.. is there any way to get a good workflow for that?

so it looks like that and i would like to edit a bit back and forth between the two video tracks (I know there are better workflows involving multicam bins for doing that..)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210135

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Without any effects, the rules are simple: The topmost enabled V-track is visible. If all V-tracks are disabled, the topmost (not empty) V-track is visible.

As soon as FX tracks exist, things are different, e.g. pass through nodes and composites influence the behaviour. I don't know exactly what the rules are.

If I would need switching video tracks for viewing, I would remove all FX tracks and composites first.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210145

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
thank you. hmm then i have an issue here: when i delete the FX1 effect, still v4 would not show up if i disable v3..... maybe i should post in the beta forum then...

edit: oh i see in my sequence it works when i move the clips to v1 and v2 and uncheck the FX track, though it is empty.. but it wont work on v3 and v4, ....
Last Edit: 7 months, 2 weeks ago by kalimerox.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210146

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Just to clarify: Not only FX tracks influence the behaviour, but also folded effects which connect different tracks (composites), and empty video tracks.

Regarding the know severe issues with V2020 and the already delayed time schedule for it's successor (formerly named V15), I would think that when reporting in beta forums, you won't see a fix for whatever issues you think you have, but maybe you receive some explanation of what the rules are?

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210149

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Check your routing. With video on V3 and V4 and no video in V1 and V2 Lightworks will use pass throughs on those latter tracks. Depending on your routing this can cause exactly the behaviour that you're seeing.

It can also be duplicated in 14.5, and can be triggered by the order in which effects have been applied and where they are applied.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210150

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
In LW the VFX Routing panel is where VFX are configured - one needs to become familiar with it - the routing panel.

The following is in 14.5 - setting up a new edit the start of the attached video shows the 'default' routing LW presented. (It seems the OP's routing has no connection to the VFX - will address that in a following video) To show the other active V track one would need to either place an empty cut in the VFX and manually re-route the tracks or more simply mark/park the section to be displayed next - execute the 'Swap' command with only the subject V tracks selected - and LW does all the work necessary.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210151

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
--- if the VFX track is not connected - as in the following video - the simply make the required connection in the Routing Panel - and as before either create an empty cut in the VFX and manually re-route the video or use the Swap command with a mark/park section to display the other V track.

LW is node based not layer based. One cannot use LW VFX without learning to use the Routing panel.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210152

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
thank you for all this helpful hints.

I will learn about the node based effects routing. Generally liking nodes working in sound (pure data and the likes) I have a hard time understanding the direction and interaction of connections, I will look into the tutorials...

and yes true, the routing changes substantially when moving the tracks 2 steps up as seen here

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210159

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
kalimerox wrote:
I will look into the tutorials...

Come back and let us know if you can find anything what describes the rules of the interaction between enabled/disabled track, FX routing and pass through nodes. I know that a few hours of reverse engineering with different setups will disclose some of the logic behind the scenes. However, since I've done that already some time ago, I didn't even try starting to explain what I saw, too complex to remember.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210176

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
yeah I will let you know when i get more knowledge on that,

for now i start with the LW tutorials that was already a bit helpful to me in general for working node based,

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210191

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
The basics of LW video tracks are not at all difficult.

Firstly be aware that selecting/deselecting tracks is an integral part of LW trimming; also that all tracks are always 'live'within the VFX subsystem - they are not enabled/disabled from VFX by timeline track selection.

The following was made in v2020.1Beta

The attached video shows the LW default layout for nine V tracks with 5, 6 and 9 being empty and therefore 'pass-through' tracks.

Note that LW has placed V7 in a bloc with 'pass-through' V5 and V6.
Similarly V9 and 'pass-through' V8 are in a bloc

In general the topmost selected track is displayed on the LW interface and via any I/O card in LW Pro.
However 'pass-through' tracks even though empty are able to mask lower selected tracks. Each component track of a bloc including the pass through needs to be de-selected to see see the lower tacks.
All tracks in a bloc need to be deselected to disable the bloc

If all tracks are deselected and there is no FX track then the topmost populated track will be displayed.

In the following a VFX has been added - a 4 way split screen. With a VFX track in place it can be selected/deselected like any other track an in the vent of all tracks being deselected the VFX track is displayed. Otherwise track selection is as for an edit without VFX

This also demonstrated that if a track belonging to a 'bloc' is to be used as a VFX component - then it needs to be connected from the individual track to the VFX - not from the pass-through components.

All of the above has been with discrete VFX tracks - on a quick check with the same material in v2020.1Beta Folded VFX do not pose much threat - they are simply added in order to the routing panel tile for the relevant track.

There may well be more than that to it - but if one approaches LW from the point of view that the developers have been doing this for a longer time that most users and are pretty good at it so perhaps it's better to spend time working out their intent than shoehorning their features into a personal log questionable of 'bugs'.

Working with the least number of possible VFX tracks and working with the most significant main edit tracks at the top and less populated tracks lower in the stack will mean less intrusion of 'pass-through' tracks into the main edit.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210194

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
If Editshare would have documented the rules somewhere, discussions like this would be much shorter - one link and basta.

Re: what is the rule for multiple video tracks / how to see the underlaying track? 7 months, 2 weeks ago #210204

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 2 weeks ago
As demonstrated; the basic rules are easily determined - and then of course then there is implementation within a system as profoundly adaptable as LW - pretty easy to distort the rules to the extent that prescriptive documentation becomes a conceptual limitation and less then worthless.

One makes of LW what is within one's ability. It is truly the NLE for everyone; regrettable that this forum is heavily weighted to a Free-For-All mindset.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top