Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW

Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 14 hours ago #209000

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 14 hours ago
Hi we often shoot 1080 or 2k and some times 4K at higher frame rates IE SLOW MOTION.Usually 60FPS or 120FPS and on occasion higher. I see that LW can only ingest 60FPS max. So 2 questions. If when creating a project you choose 'Mix" for the frame rate will it take a frame rate HIGHER than the 60 that is listed? My guess is not. If I am correct has anyone had any decent results taking the source 60 Fps footage and slowing it even more in LW. I do not prefer this method as a high frame rate in the camera produces much smoother slo motion than slowing something in post. But if I am limited to 60FPS while importing I may not have a choice if I want it slower . I am worried that it will get very choppy compared to 120FPS footage we have shot in camera. Anybody have thoughts or tips for what I want to do here? Thanks In Advance.

EDIT: SEE MY POST BELOW I WAS INTERPRETING MY SOURCE MATERIAL INCORRECTLY.MY CONFUSION WAS MY OWN FAULT.
Last Edit: 6 days, 13 hours ago by Scottini151.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 14 hours ago #209003

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 14 hours ago
Hi,

'Mixed rates' is just another name for 24 fps projects. It's the most flexible when mixing frame rates, but has some downsides.

You are not limited to 60 fps, you can import higher frame rates than the nominal frame rate of the project in almost any project family, e.g. Lightworks supports up to 240 fps video in 24 fps projects.

Furthermore, by converting video material to image sequences, you gain all the flexibilty you need in terms of frame rate, in all projects.

With video material the dependencies are complex, to some extend. It would take long to explain everything for all sorts of projects and recording frame rates.

If you could specify your frame rate for regular capture, details would be easier to explain.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 days, 14 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 13 hours ago #209006

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
HI Hugly thanks fro your response.But I want to clarify one thing based on the manual. When creating a new project that drop down list of frame rates is referring to the footage you have shot and are importing . My belief is the term "mixed frame rate" is in reference to a project that involves more than one frame rate. In other words NOT the same as 24fps. If it was the same why list them both??? Thats just confusing. Here is a copy and paste from the manual that illustrates my belief. "Select the frame rate for the media in your project. If you want to use mixed frame rates, select ‘Mixed rates’" .This is where I am confused about projects that are higher than 60FPS.
You asked for an example.Lets say I shot a bunch of footage at 120 FPS.When I create project for that footage the drop down menu asking me about frame rates only shows 60 max??? If LWs supports 120 FPS and higher then why are they not listed as an option to choose from???
EDIT: SORRY I WAS INTERPRETING MY DEFINITION OF FRAME RATE INCORRECTLY SEE POST BELOW
Last Edit: 6 days, 13 hours ago by Scottini151.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 13 hours ago #209007

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
Sorry in re reading your post. I think my definition of the source footage may be whats confusing me. I think what you are saying is lets say my camera is at a 23.98 for 90 % of my footage but then for 2 shots I change to 120 FPS to shoot in slo mo I would still choose 24FPS for my project????
Sorry to confuse it may be just the way I am interpreting the source footage. That said I still believe mixed rate and 24 or not the same???? Just based on the manuals description.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 13 hours ago #209008

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
The reason for "mixed" is that many questions were coming on forum about mixed frame rates, which were handled using 24 fps as the project frame rate. Having "mixed" in the project frame rate settings gave users a go to setting without having to look up the user guide or ask on the forum.

In the US TV industry, because so many productions were shot at 24 fps in the days of film (23.976 when shooting digitally), it's regarded as a "universal" acquisition frame rate for higher end TV productions, like dramas, which will have international sales because of the ease of conversion.

120 fps isn't a film and TV industry standard frame rate. Slow motion in the cinema digital cameras is handled by the camera recording timecode that allows the footage to be played back slower than the recorded frame rate, with the seconds changing at the project's normal frame rate, not the high speed frame rate.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 13 hours ago #209011

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
Yes I think Hugly and I were on the same page it was just how I was defining "in my head" the terms and definitions of both frame rate and LWs use of the term "mixed frame rate"
. Hugly no need to respond as I understand now thanks to you and briandrys!!

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 12 hours ago #209012

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 12 hours ago
I feel the need, not to respond to your latest posts, but to add some information, referring to your initial post.

When working with video material, and not image sequences, the combination of 23.976 fps (or 24 fps) footage, 60, 120, and 240 fps for slow motion, and export at 24/23.98 fps is the best supported combination Lightworks provides. What you should not do, in order to avoid choppy motion, is exporting at 30 fps from a 24 fps project.
Last Edit: 6 days, 12 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 12 hours ago #209015

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 12 hours ago
Copy that Understood

Re: Importing 60FPS Video Then Slowing it "again" in LW 6 days, 11 hours ago #209018

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 11 hours ago
It's not my day. Did I say that 60 fps video is well suitable in 24 fps projects for seamless slow motion? I just tested it and that's nonsense - again, sorry.

120 and 240 fps work perfectly, with full access to all frames when slowing down accordingly, but with 60 fps video material frame rate conversion is applied which can create choppy motion on critical scenes, e.g. panning camera over background with good visible structures.

With 60 fps video material used for slow motion in a 24 fps project, I'd suggest converting to an image sequence prior to import for access to all frames, e.g. by importing the footage in a 60 fps project and exporting at 60 fps to PNG image sequence.
Last Edit: 6 days, 11 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top