Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally?

Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208862

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Want to know if true 4K can be zoomed in with light works.If so can I assume you can control the speed/duration of the zoom? Same with Ultra HD?

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208875

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hello,

I assume that you're asking about video and not still images.

I don't know exactly what dimensions "true 4K" describes, but basically Lightworks allows to zoom and pan in frames of any video format with the DVE effects or similar user effects. All parameters can be animated with keyframes.

However, for best possible results in terms of resolution, you need timeline rendering, currently, and that's a feature available with the Pro version only.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208877

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
hugly wrote:
I don't know exactly what dimensions "true 4K" describe

True 4K is usually taken to mean 4096x2160. UHD (or more correctly 4K UHD) is 3840x2160. True 4K is actually 1.896:1 where UHD is 1.78:1 or 16:9.
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208879

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
The usage of the word 4K is sometimes confusing, as you surely know. 4096x2160 is commonly known and standardized as DCI 4K, but there are different aspect ratios defined with this format, whereas GopRo calls 3840x2160 4K. They even provide a 4K 4:3 format (4096x3072), which is proprietary.
gopro.com/help/articles/block/video-resolutions-for-hero7-cameras

Lightworks Pro supports timeline rendering at UHD (aka QFHD), but not DCI 4K. **

Edit: Just to clarify: That isn't a show stopper. To match DCI 4K source resolution when zooming/panning, Pro users can export the zoomed section at 4K DCI in some intermediate format, re-import, and replace the section in the timeline.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208884

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Scottini151 wrote:
.. can I assume you can control the speed/duration of the zoom? Same with Ultra HD?

You can also practice the following with your free license:

hugly wrote:
.. basically Lightworks allows to zoom and pan in frames of any video format with the DVE effects or similar user effects. All parameters can be animated with keyframes..

If you want to see a good zoom quality in the preview, then select in your project settings "Video" > "Format" a "UltraHD" format. Note that this project setting increases the GPU load. To export this preview quality as video, a Pro license is required.

hugly wrote:
.. However, for best possible results in terms of resolution, you need timeline rendering, currently, and that's a feature available with the Pro version only.
You assume that Scottini151 wants to export in a smaller format than the original (e.g. export to 1080p).
EDIT: If, on the other hand, an export to 4k / UHD is desired, then, to my knowledge, no timeline rendering is required for this purpose.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by schrauber. Reason: Needlessly complicated text replaced.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208894

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
schrauber wrote:
You assume that Scottini151 wants to export in a smaller format than the original (e.g. export to 1080p).
EDIT: If, on the other hand, an export to 4k / UHD is desired, then, to my knowledge, no timeline rendering is required for this purpose.

Yes and yes.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208899

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Thanks to both of you and yes Hugly my term "true 4k" is based on the many that confuse the term and use it incorrectly. I am talking 4096 X 2160. Clarifying what jwlr said. We shoot on the Sony F55 in 4K I have yet to test importing those XAVC formats but based on Huglys comments above it sounds like the best I can do is Ultra HD? Or is that limitation only when attempting to zoom?. To ask the question another way can I edit in 4096x2160 provided I do not attempt any zooms??
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by Scottini151.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208901

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Scottini151 wrote:
Huglys comments above it sounds like the best I can do is Ultra HD?

No, not exactly.

You can zoom-in on any importable format with DVE effects, but since scaling is performed prior to applying the DVE (to preview resolution in preview, to export resolution on export) the results, in terms of detail and sharpness, achievable with the Free version will differ significantly from the Pro version. That's because of missing timeline rendering and limited export resolution with the Free version.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208902

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Understood. I am talking pro version so "forgetting about zooms" can I edit in 4K with PRO?

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208903

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Sure. 4K is supported on import and export.

Sínce Sony has launched multiple XAVC variants within a short period, I can't say if the 4K XAVC format of the F55 is supported natively, but you can test that with the Free version, the decoders are the same for Free and Pro.

Edit: If it doesn't work, please let us know. In particular if it doesn't work with the current beta.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208904

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
If it doesn't work with the V14.6 beta, please report it in the appropriate beta section of the forum, where the developers can easily find it.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208905

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Will do I am wanting to purchase the pro version but it all hinges on its ability to handle the Sony F55 4 k. I was not sure if the free version could handle it so Thanks Hugly for that clarification.
I have been toggling between the 14.5 and 14.6 on recent edits due to a few complications so I will try it in both and report back. Thanks

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208910

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
OT: Funny enough, even Sony itself, among its different professional camera models seems to use different 4K Formats.
Other than what Scottini151 said about their F55, my PXW-X70 with the 4K kit shoots in 3840x2160 (so 4K UHD). At least that is what MediaInfo tells me about it. And I am happy to see that I don't have any resolution "issues" with Lightworks here.
Lwks x64 14.6.0.0 beta (117868) pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p, iPhone 7
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by timzett.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 1 week, 1 day ago #208915

• Scottini151
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Just an Update my Sony F55 footage did work with both LW 14.5 and 14.6. I did find however if I colorgrade in a different program but leave ALL other clip attributes the same it will not accept it. Working on getting my favourite LUTS into LW to avoid this issue.

Re: Can the Pro version do 4K zooms digitally? 6 days, 14 hours ago #208997

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 14 hours ago
Scottini151 wrote:
...however if I colorgrade in a different program but leave ALL other clip attributes the same it [Lightworks] will not accept it...
How did you do the round-trip: saved your video in another format after color grading, or did you use meta files (XML, AAF, OMF etc.)?
Lwks x64 14.6.0.0 beta (117868) pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p, iPhone 7
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top