Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Overlaying transparent .PNG

Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 5 days ago #207448

• hrdCory
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Forgive my ignorance, I'd never touched digital video prior to last week. Now I'm trying to build a soccer highlight reel for my son. There are lots of other posts out there about this, and I've ALMOST worked it out, but there's one issue I can't crack.

When I freeze a frame, I want to add an arrow that points to him. I have accomplished that, so far, by adding a 2d DVE with a .png of an arrow with a transparent background. The arrow is just a file I downloaded after googling for "transparent background png arrow"

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It "works" but is not transparent

I found a post that said

In order to view the 'background' through the transparency of the png, you have open the effects routing panel and drag a node from the background to the background connection of the DVE effect tile.

But that's where I hit my ceiling....when I get to this screen

I'm not sure what to do. Of note, I'm using v14.5.0.0 Some posts I've seen indicate that v14 should handle the transparency automatically????

Any pointers on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 5 days ago #207451

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Welcome to the Forum.

Your PNG image posted here is not transparent.
It's just a preview image to show the transparency by a checkerboard pattern.

With a correct transparent image your workflow should be correct.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 5 days ago #207453

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Here is a transparent arrow.

To download it click on the zip file below. To use it, apply the image key effect to your background video and use that effect to import the arrow. You will be able to scale and position it at its original resolution, which you can't do by importing it directly and using a DVE.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 5 days ago #207455

• hrdCory
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Duh! Well that's embarrassing...

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 5 days ago #207456

• hrdCory
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Thanks so much....I'll give it a go this evening

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 2 days ago #207602

• hrdCory
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Thanks so much for the help. Got a few more things to figure out (like there seems to be a hitch coming out of the freeze frame) but I'm amazed to be this far!

I'd also like to say how much I appreciated your responses. I've spent a lot of time on various forums (typesetting with LaTeX, optimization with Julia, programming in Java, R, VBA, and C++, etc etc etc). All too often questions from someone just starting out are greeted with disdain and condescension. You guys rock!

Here's what it looks like so far...

[video]https://youtu.be/UI04NlCFrrg[/video]

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 2 days ago #207614

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
It looks like you haven't yet figured out how to resume normal speed playback.

1. Going in to your freeze, first press "c" which will place a cut in your timeline at that point.
  2. Right click on the timeline, and from "Speed" select 0% - that bit you already know.
  3. Advance to where you want to resume normal playback and press "c" again.
  4. Right click again and set the speed to 100%.

That's all there is to it. In the flexible interface instead of right clicking you select "Advanced" mode first. You can then directly type in your speed.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 2 days ago #207617

• hrdCory
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
That's what I did....at least I believe that's what I did. I think I'm confused about the specifics of step 3. When I "freeze" on a frame so that I can bring up the arrow pointing him out, I want playback to resume from that exact frame, just ~1.5 seconds later. If I advance and place a second cut and then resume 100% speed, it resumes from that advanced frame, and the 1.5 seconds in-between never display, hence the jump. I'm sure there's something very basic I'm missing here...

Re: Overlaying transparent .PNG 1 week, 2 days ago #207618

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
OK, I just checked, since I normally don't use the flexible user interface. As long as the method that you have selected in the speed change is "Keep current frame" it works as I described it. You should also not move your cursor after you press the "c" key.

Also, don't think that you'll save time by placing your cuts first then freezing the section between the two. If you do that you'll get exactly what you describe. Follow the steps that I outlined exactly as I described them and it will work.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top