• Page:

TOPIC: How to playback only a selected element/marked area

How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207305

• hicnar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi,

I am currently working on a clip where a kids book is read by a lector. As it is read I use the spotlight effect to highlight the words that are being pronounced. A functionality that seems to be missing (or perhaps I do not know how to unveil it) is the ability to quickly select a fragment of the audio track and playback only that fragment. That would be very useful in identifying and separating words that the lector pronounces so that the spotlight may be moved to the right word at the right moment and stay on it for the right amount of time.
Any ideas how this can be accomplished?

Thanks for your suggestions!
H.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hicnar.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207309

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

A function to play a pre-selected region of the timeline with only one keystroke doesn't exist, currently. I use a combination of a left-click on the timeline ruler at start position and space to start playback.

There are some other options for finding the right spot, e.g. moving the timeline marker from the diamond shape on top while pressing the Shift-key enables audio scrubbing. Appropriately zoomed-in that's pretty convenient.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207310

• hicnar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply hugly! Just tried that audio scrubbing thing, the problem is... while scrubbing it is difficult to recognize some words as the playback speed is not constant. Would be great to just select the from/to area and playback just that! So in the meantime same audio opened in Audacity in the right monitor seems to work faster for me
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hicnar.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207311

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
You can set up jogging (jog left jog right) with the key assignments using the arrow keys with a modifier. Although not as good as a jog wheel. it can be pretty effective.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207313

• hicnar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I use the ShuttlePro so in theory I could jog with a jog wheel, but like I said it is pretty difficult to recognize some words if the speed is not perfectly constant, so what would be ideal is something that would allow you to select a bit of audio and play only the selection. I do that in Audacity opened in the other monitor, where I select the area of interest and hit the spacebar to play it back.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207314

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Have you tried click and space, repeatedly? That should give you what you want and it's even more flexible than marking a section first and playing it back afterwards just to detect that the selection has to be corrected.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207316

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Personally, I would probably mark the words with clip cue. So first play all the relevant audio and add cue points (possibly at slower playback speed). Best not in the sequence, but in the source clip from the project content, and then display it in "show clip cue" in the sequence.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Then I can simply jump to the next cue (word) with one keystroke.

More details if you have any questions.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207321

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
hugly wrote:
Have you tried click and space, repeatedly?

That's one way to get back to the starting position.

Personally I prefer to use the keyboard. With a modified key command, or a macro, I can strate the playback, and with a keystroke the playback position returns to the original position.
If the starting point of the word does not correspond to the playback starting point, this can also be corrected very quickly with keyboard shortcuts (for one frame correction, two keystrokes are enough to stop playback, correct the starting position, and restart playback).

To achieve this you need either a macro (which changes the Mark In position and returns to it), or a number in the config.dat of the program must be changed (Mark In is not needed for this).

More details on interest.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207322

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
If a click and a keystroke appear to be too complicated, I doubt that even more complex procedures will find acceptance by people coming from a DAW background.

The feature of playing a marked section with one keystroke has been raised by many members of the forum. It's available in all DAW's and most NLE's I know.

I think it wouldn't be so hard to implement an additional play command which remembers the position of the section and plays it repeatedly until executed again - toggle play marked section.

It needs the will to do it and some time to implement.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: How to playback only a selected element/marked area 1 month ago #207335

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 month ago
interesting subject
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB