Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to create a custom mask

How to create a custom mask 1 week, 1 day ago #205937

• Alexdube
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Real basic stuff, I have a video where there's an old TV and I'm trying to replace what is playing in the TV by another video

I know how to put a picture in a picture, but the TV has a rounded shape so I need to create a custom mask to fit the shape.

What is the simplest way to do this?

Thank you

Re: How to create a custom mask 1 week ago #205939

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Hello,

Unfortunaltely, Lightworks doesn't have a build-in tool to create custom shaped masks. With the Pro version on Windows and OSX, you can use the tools of the Boris plugins to draw or paint masks. However it takes a while to get familiar with those tools.

Another solution, usable for simple custom shapes, easy to learn and to apply, is a set of user effects: khaver's PolyMasks. They work with all versions of Lightworks.

In this recent discussion, you'll find further information.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How to create a custom mask 1 week ago #205940

• Alexdube
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Thank you very much, I will look into it.

I was also wondering, what if I create the shape I need in Photoshop with transparency, can I import it to Lightworks and use it as a mask somehow?

It's a trick I learned in a brief editing course I had years ago so I know it's possible, but I can't remember exactly how to do it.

Re: How to create a custom mask 1 week ago #205946

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Yes, you can import and use masks created with Photoshop (or similar programs). There are multiple possible workflows, depending to some extend on your material.

Assuming that your background is a still, load the still into Photoshop, create the mask and save it as PNG with the same dimensions as the background. Make sure that 'Detect image-sequences' from 'Import commands' is disabled and import both from Local Files via 'Create Link'. To use the mask, one option is using 'Masked Blend' from 'Category' mixes which has inputs for foreground, background, and the mask. You need three video tracks with this effect. Other options are mentioned in the discussion I've linked to above.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How to create a custom mask 6 days, 22 hours ago #205965

• Alexdube
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 22 hours ago
Finally got it to work. Took me too long to figure out I was doing masks wrong. Had a black area and the other was transparent (needs to be white). Then the masked blend thing doesn't have an obvious way to specify what is the mask. You have to go to "routing" to see it, not very intuitive for a newbie.

Anyway thanks a lot! you led me on the right track
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top