Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to nudge IN marker

how to nudge IN marker 1 week, 1 day ago #205914

• p8guitar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
How do you fine-tune the beginning of a clip? I'd like to nudge the in marker with a key command, so that I then can jump to the beginning of a clip and play it to check if the clip begins at the right time. I'm editing a music video for a band, the clip should start on the the beat.
Maybe it's more common to edit the beginning in the sequencer window, I'm working in the viewer now.
Sorry if this a stupid question, this is my first day with lightworks... I searched the manual for "nudge in marker" but didn't find an answer.

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week, 1 day ago #205915

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Welcome to the forum.

You can't nudge the in marker with a key, although you can move it with the mouse.

Another feature called cues may be what you're looking for. You can set the cues on a frame and use the "a" & "s" to check your timing, although you can't nudge the cues.

However, you can use trim and nudge single frames using "," and "." on the keyboard to make fine adjustments after you've put a clip into the timeline. Please see P87 to P95 in the V14.5 User Guide, which ca found in downloads > documentation

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week, 1 day ago #205916

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
If the audio is to determine the cut positions, then I often make a fine positioning of Mark-In. Often just to find in the clip timeline of the flexible layouter, the exact location for placing a "cue".
To do this, I use macros that remove the old mark in, move the playhead one frame, and create a new mark in (with a single keystroke).

At the moment I can not post examples because I'm not near my PC.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week ago #205949

• p8guitar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

However, you can use trim and nudge single frames using "," and "." on the keyboard to make fine adjustments after you've put a clip into the timeline. Please see P87 to P95 in the V14.5 User Guide, which ca found in downloads > documentation

Thanks for the hint, trimming in the timeline worked fine for me in this case!

Just wondering why noone needs fine tuning of the in and out markers - you would have to do the same edit again every time you insert the clip with the "rough", slightly wrong in marker in a sequence, wouldn't you?

By the way - I'm really impressed by Lightworks, I think this will be my go-to software for video editing.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by p8guitar.

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week ago #205952

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
p8guitar wrote:
Just wondering why noone needs fine tuning of the in and out markers - you would have to do the same edit again every time you insert the clip with the "rough", slightly wrong in marker in a sequence, wouldn't you?

I can imagine that you agree that nudging in-/out-markers blindly (without seeing the frame on the marker position), would be difficult from a practical point of view. You have surely noticed that when using the mouse to move the markers, the view switches to the marker position as soon as the left-mouse-button is pressed, no matter where the red timeline marker is positioned at. Releasing the mouse-button switches the view back to the timeline marker.

A reasonable approach with default shortcuts is jumping with the timeline marker to the mark to move, nudging the timeline marker (which shows the current frame) and setting the mark again, I-key for the in-mark or O-key for the out mark, whichever applies.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week ago #205953

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
p8guitar wrote:
I'd like to nudge the in marker with a key command, so that I then can jump to the beginning of a clip and play it to check if the clip begins at the right time. I'm editing a music video ..

hugly wrote:
A reasonable approach with default shortcuts is jumping with the timeline marker to the mark to move, nudging the timeline marker (which shows the current frame)..

For this I use a modified version of the keyboard command "Preview".
Normally "Preview" starts 3 seconds before the current position of the red timeline marker . I change this to 0 seconds. When I then press "Preview", Lightworks plays the audio and video and returns to the starting point after stopping.
I can also move forward or backward one frame while the clip is playing with other keys, causing the red timeline marker to immediately jump back to the start point +- 1 frame, and immediately replay from that offset start position. So I can test different start positions in a few seconds.
When I find the perfect audio position, I stop "Preview" and place Mark In or an audio cue.

For "Preview" to do this, the config.dat must be edited in the Lightworks program directory.
Information on how to do this can be found in this official tutorial:

The tutorial is a bit older, so there may have been some additions in the meantime, and some obsolete settings may be ignored.

I changed this original setting:
# Define the 'preview' preroll duration in seconds
preview_preroll_secs 3

in 0 seconds:
# Define the 'preview' preroll duration in seconds
preview_preroll_secs 0

As written in the post above, there are also other possibilities with macros. With macros similar things are possible (without changing config.dat), even with different play speeds.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week ago #205957

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
Surely this sort of precision isn't really necessary. Mark, park, replace/insert, check. If the resulting cut looks wrong, trim. That's a lot more efficient than fine tuning marks before you cut. Usually you will still need to trim when you've seen the cut in context.

Re: how to nudge IN marker 1 week ago #205961

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
LW typically uses a mark and the playhead not two marks.

Assume one has mark/park this is how to make fine adjustments for either end, source or edit viewer, with or without timeline onscreen.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Under windows the default 'Swap' aka 'Swap current position with the mark' seems to be the '[' key
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top