Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: fading effects on an image blend?

fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 5 days ago #205816

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Hi
I can fade in and out the text I add into the video but I need an accompanying image as well to fade in sync with the text.

How do I do that? I only see blend+image for the image overlay...

Thanks!
G

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 5 days ago #205817

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
For example with such a routing:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In this case you would deactivate the fade settings in the text effect. By keyframing in the Blend effect you can mix text + image with the video (overlay may require scaling the image).

Depending on what you want in detail, you can also use other effects from the Mix or DVE effect categories.
User effects are also possible. Maybe you also want to create normal transitions at cuts?

If you are using the Image-Kay and the 14.6 Beta, note that this effect has changed compared to 14.5.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by schrauber.

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 3 days ago #205870

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
That looks too complicated for a home video maker. I have been unable to get started with a simple explanation of video routing in the last few days. There appears to be some routing nodes automatically added when I add color corrections and watermarks and I am afraid to mess with it.

I was trying the easier options of a keyed blend of an image - I am able to add a keyframe with 0% opacity and another with 100% then inexplicably the image starts fading again WTH??!!! How can I ensure the image stays unfaded until the next keyframe I specify? I see a lot of keyframes appear from nowhere in the keyframe bar when I didn't add them in the first place ...!!

<rant>I really wish LWKS had some consumer grade features - all the other consumer grade apps suck at the color correction/grading menu which is why I selected LWKS but I am now struggling for 10 days since I added the videos to the timeline - for a simple 5 min video. Stuck at adding suitable Transitions, Titles and other text in between videos in a way that is aesthetically appealing to me.</rant>

G

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 3 days ago #205871

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I tried again - LWKS seems to be adding its own keyframes in between the keyframes I add and then setting it to 0% opacity in between ... How to deal with this?

For example in a sequence of keyframes I add like this :

----KF1(Opacity 0%)------KF2(Op 100%)---

LWKS automatically adds its own keyframes (KF1.1):

---KF1------KF1.1-KF2---

KF1.1 is typically at 91% opacity but immediately after KF1 opacity is reset to 0%!!! WTH???!! This results in the image fading in and out when I want it to hold still ... I thought LWKS was about maximum user control - why is it doing its own thing?

G
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by G0bble.

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 3 days ago #205877

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Hello again,

I'm still wondering if your question from the thread "Unfold is missing" have been clarified?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 3 days ago #205880

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
G0bble wrote:
I really wish LWKS had some consumer grade features - all the other consumer grade apps suck at the color correction/grading menu which is why I selected LWKS

Lightworks isn't a consumer-grade application. It's a very mature professional application with a long back history. The fact that a free version is available should not blind you to that fact. It is powerful but designed first and foremost for professionals.

However if you're prepared to look at some of the tutorials both on this website and elsewhere I feel that you will quickly come to grips with it. When I was a trainer it used to take me between half an hour to half a day to have an editor doing productive work with Lightworks, and faster and more efficiently than they had been able to with other tools.

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 2 days ago #205881

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
In schrauber's routing suggestion the following as all one has to do to fade both text and image - very simple.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Node based compositing is very logical, nothing to fear, with a bit of practice it quickly becomes very user-friendly. A matter of conceptualising the effect one wants to apply and the order in which effect components should be applied

In v14.5 and earlier LW adds a head and tail keyframe when first enabling key-framing - there are historic operational reasons for that and it is an annoyance and the source of the 'why is it moving' questions. If it is encountered simply change that machine-made keyframe(s) to the appropriate value(s).

That behaviour changes with V14.6 but a a new user, to avoid unexpected beta version issues, it may be wise to remain with 14.5 at this stage.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 2 days ago #205884

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I'll take a look at the tutorials again.

I had a brain-fade when typing my previous post. The correct description of the problem with keyframing is as follows:

For example in a sequence of keyframes I add like this :

----KF1(Opacity 0%)------KF2(Op 100%)---KF3(100% opacity)

LWKS automatically adds its own keyframes (KF1.1):

---KF1------KF1.1-KF2---KF2.1(91% opacity)-KF3---

So LWKS adds KF1.1 and KF2.1 immediately preceding my own keyframes and adjusts it to just below 100. However the perplexing part is that immediately after KF2 the opacity is reset to 0 from where it gradually builds up to the KF2.1 then KF3's 100% opacity.

Why is LWKS doing that?

G

Re: fading effects on an image blend? 1 week, 2 days ago #205885

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
RWAV wrote:
In schrauber's routing suggestion the following as all one has to do to fade both text and image - very simple.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I am unable to play this file - "no video with supported mime type"

Can you suggest a working link?

Thanks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top