Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Track V1 not obscuring track V2

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months, 1 week ago #203129

• frevi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
My understanding is that tracks higher in the timeline (with lower numbers) should be displayed "in front of" tracks below. So if I have a black slug PNG file in track V1, then anything below it in the timeline should be obscured, right?

So why is that not happening? Please see attached screen shot of my 14.5.0.0 installation with Fixed interface. I have a black slug in track V1 (with titles VFX above it), but track V2 is showing through as if nothing else is there - although the titles actually appear overlapping onto V2, in case that's not clear from the screenshot.

Why is that? Will it be that way if I export the whole thing to an MP4? Why is it not that way sometimes, i.e., sometimes the track above in the timeline DOES obscure the tracks below?

thanks
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months, 1 week ago #203131

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Not exactly, without effects, the topmost enabled track is shown in preview. If all track are disabled the topmost track is shown. If effects are present, as in your case, the display is ruled by the video routing.

This refers to an older version, but shows how it works.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months, 1 week ago #203134

• frevi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Super, thanks very much for this expert information. Now I know I have to learn about video routing in order to do pretty simple things.

Your answers are usually really nicely explained, on point, and very helpful, Mr. Hugly. Thanks so much.

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months, 1 week ago #203137

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Pleasure Mr frevi,

Yes, even for simple things it's helpful to know what the video routing is good for and how it works. Some other software has a layer based approach, which is simpler for easy effect setups, but can turn into real pain if the effect structure starts getting complex. In fact, Lightworks has a hybrid approach, layer and node based. Some automatic routing tries to simulate layer based actions, but as with any automatic, it follows its rules with results not being necessarily identical to what the user has in mind when setting up the effects. The routing panel helps, in those cases.

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203153

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
frevi wrote:
My understanding is that tracks higher in the timeline (with lower numbers) should be displayed "in front of" tracks below. So if I have a black slug PNG file in track V1, then anything below it in the timeline should be obscured, right?

So why is that not happening?
frevi wrote:
Now I know I have to learn about video routing in order to do pretty simple things.

First, you don't need a slug of black there. An empty timeline will suffice. Nor do you have to learn about video routing to do pretty simple things. Without knowing how you set the sequence up I can't comment on how you managed to see V2 above V1. Lightworks' routing is pretty robust and that result is not at all what I would expect to see in the same circumstances.

However if I was laying that out I would not have that top video layer at all, nor would I overlap the shot below with a slug of black. I would simply cut the overlapped section out altogether. Something like this would work.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The routing would take care of itself. If you need to cross fade to the incoming shot, add a dissolve to V1 and set up your titles to fade out with the same duration as the dissolve.

And just correcting a perception that you appear to have: this isn't free software at all, it is professional software used to make movies and TV. The fact that there's a free version available is a bonus. The only way that the free version differs from the paid version is in limits to the export and rendering capabilities.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by jwrl.

Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203154

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Here's the version of the same effect with a crossfade. You can't see it on the titles because the fade out is part of the title effect.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I have moved this to the editing forum because it really isn't about a bug.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203158

• frevi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks jwrl, much appreciated. Funny, I was not able to create titles (or any other) FX without adding the black slug. Likewise, I wasn't able to create a dissolve without enough frames on both sides of a cut - I guess I should have figured out to do a "From here" transition first, huh?

While I'm at it, what does it mean that the empty part of the V1 track has a green stripe across the top, does that denote an associated FX?

Also, here's another track question please: If I just want to insert the video (or audio, or just one of the two audio) track(s) from the clips or bins or somewhere, is there a better way to do that than to add two audio tracks (so the ones I drag in don't overwrite existing ones), drag in the new clip, turn off the track(s) I want to keep, and then delete the others? I know there must be, just point me in the right direction... thx

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203159

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
If you want to add a title or any other effect to empty timeline, mark where you want the effect to start by pressing the I key, park at the end and and apply the effect. It will be added on an FX track above the timeline for the duration between the mark and where you're currently marked. The technique is called mark and park, and has been a feature of Lightworks since the early '90s.

Q2: The green stripe does indicate an effect on a layer above the current clip.

Q3: Marking and parking is also a handy way of inserting a clip, if that's what you're asking. Open the clip that you want to insert into your timeline in the source viewer, mark one end and park at the other. Park on your timeline where you want the marked section to go and press the V key. It will be inserted in your timeline at the point at which you have parked, pushing everything following the insert down to make room.

If instead you want to replace the section of timeline completely press the B key. That will overwrite the existing section of your timeline with new media. If when doing that you need to keep existing audio there will need to be additional audio tracks available in the sequence, and you will need to turn off the audio tracks that you want to keep before you press the B key.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203162

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
For what it's worth, I've customised my keyboard layout, which is something that you can do in Lightworks. I have assigned "Add audio track" to Ctrl-U and "Add video track" to Ctrl-Y. The way that you do that from the Lightworks entry screen click on the cogs icon at the top right and select "Key assignments..". Select the function that you want customise and launch the "Assign key.." dialogue.

BUT DON'T GO CRAZY!!! It's very easy to end up with a keyboard that will just confuse you - especially if someone comes along and says press B or V and those functions have been mapped somewhere else.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203165

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
In the fixed layout you deselect the sequence timeline tracks you don't wish to use when bringing in a clip to the timeline. Once the clip is in the timeline, you select the tracks again and continue editing.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203166

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Just deleted my waffle in my previous post. I misunderstood what you were asking, and briandrys didn't.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203169

• frevi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
OK, so deselect first, before drag/dropping a new clip. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203180

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Please note: With lightworks V14.5. when moving text effects on FX connected to video with disabled tracks (*), the routing breaks. That doesn't happen anymore with V14.6.

* with the mouse
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Track V1 not obscuring track V2 2 months ago #203274

• frevi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I'm glad you warned me about that, otherwise when it happened I would have been confused....but it sure happened. I just redid the FX, no big problem. thx
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds
Scroll To Top