• Page:

TOPIC: Editing my video for facebook

Editing my video for facebook 3 months, 1 week ago #201483

• fitvallee
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

Can someone tell my how do I crop my video to have the proper Facebook ads video requirement (for mobile and different screen)? Right now it is 16:9 landscape when I export it but when facebook crop it to 4:5, 1:1, 9:16 or 2:3 my writing in the video does not fit the screen.

Thank you

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months, 1 week ago #201485

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Currently, you will need to use third party software for this operation, since Lightworks only exports film and TV industry aspect ratios.

However, the future V15 has been flagged as having social media aspect ratios as an option.

For the moment, working out safe title areas would be the way to go.

There is a safe title user effect, you may be able to adapt it.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=188603&Itemid=81#ftop
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months, 1 week ago #201486

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Lightworks supports only most common broadcast and cinema standard aspect ratios, in preview and export. The Letterbox from project card won't help you much with the formats you've mentioned.

I think, the most efficient approach for exporting multiple aspect ratios from the same material is using two DVE's - one as a mask for the target format, the second to reposition the frames within the mask - and to crop with third party software after export. In most cases and for watchable results, you'll have to reposition (each shot) differently, depending on target aspect ratio (and content).

This demo shows it for 16:9 landscape to 960x720 (4:3), basically, using VirtualDub2 to crop:

Edit: For a real use case with the Pro version, I would apply the mask as one single effect on FX and the DVEs to reposition folded into clips, where necessary. I'd use a working copy of the sequence for each export format and, for quality reasons, an intermediate format for export, e.g. Cineform, not h.264/MP4.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months, 1 week ago #201487

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
However, the future V15 gas been flagged as having social media aspect ratios as an option.

I hope that a (almost) freely definable preview mask with semi-transparent cropped areas which is respected on export (with supporting codecs/formats) will find its way to V15

Gratuitous negativity deleted - RWAV
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by RWAV.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months, 1 week ago #201498

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I have deleted the posts referring to that negativity, hugly. Repeating them again will get you and your other personnae banned.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201557

• fitvallee
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Thank you for all your response guys, I appreciate it. I will take a look at this and tell you if I still have problems.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201561

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
A short term fix would be to write an effect to to mask to each of those aspect ratios, with a reposition ability to allow for centering adjustment. I'll see what can be done.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201568

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
OK, I've had a few minutes to try this out. What this effect does is provides masking of the frame to support reframing for common social media formats. Horizontal repositioning is provided to adjust for the masking. If the selected aspect ratio exceeds the actual aspect ratio no action is taken. You can set up your mask using greyed out edges or blanking, then if desired bypass the mask to export. It relies on external transcoding using ffmpeg or similar to crop the export to the desired ratio.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Download SocialMedia.zip to get it, and see CUSTOM EFFECTS INSTALLATION for installation instructions.

Since I don't have any social media accounts I don't know what formats are acceptable. I have incorporated both landscape and portrait formats of the ones that you mentioned, and included 4:3 versions as well. If it works for you let me know and I'll post it in the custom effects thread.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201573

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
With ffmpeg the filter 'crop' can be used to crop centered, e.g for 9:16 like this:

-vf crop=ih*9/16  
For other aspect ratios, replace '9/16' accordingly.

A command line template to create files in MP4 format, ready for upload in good quality, could look like this, cropped to 4:3 aspect ratio:

ffmpeg -i "<in>" -vf crop=ih*4/3 -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -preset:v slow -crf 20 -c:a aac -b:a 192k -y "<out>".mp4
<in> and <out> have to be replaced with real file names. A file exported in 1920x1080, for instance, would be cropped centered to 1440x1080.

Embedded in a suitable batch file, FFmpeg allows batch processing of multiple files.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201579

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
jwrl,

I find, the effect is great.

There seem to be rounding errors, perhaps due to different scaling/cropping algorithms in Lightworks and FFmpeg.

With some resolutions exported in MP4 formats (2160p, QHD, 360p) masked and cropped to 9:16 the mask appears as a one pixel column in the cropped file, surprisingly only left hand side.

It might be worth considering, for display on white canvas, to widen the mask by a small amount, so that FFmpeg crops within the frame.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201586

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
It was never my intention to supply the masked image to ffmpeg - that's why the bypass is there. The intention was to use the effect to establish the composition, then bypass it for export. The bypass step is critical if you want to avoid rounding errors.

I knew they would exist when I was doing the maths, because for example calculating cropping for the 4:3 format requires scaling the width of the full frame by 1.3 recurring divided by the aspect ratio of the project. What we're probably seeing is a difference in rounding behaviour between that applied by the graphics card and that applied by ffmpeg. The behaviour will vary depending on frame size and aspect ratio. In my example above, using values derived that way you could get a scale factor of 0.749999998125, 0.74999999718750000351562499560547 or 0.75 if you're working with a 16:9 project. In this case 0.75 would be the correct scale factor to use, but there's no way to know that in advance.

I could of course force a round up to an arbitrary number of decimal places. With current formats seven places would be adequate. But is it really worth it? Having done that I would then need to take into account that the pixel which I want to set as the boundary is also defined by a floating point value. The width of the frame is always defined as 1. Individual pixels are accessed by calculating a decimal fraction of 1. For example, the address of pixel 153 in a 1920 pixel wide frame is 0.07972903 to eight decimal places. What the floating point errors obtained when calculating pixel positions are will depend on the floating point section of the display card used.

(Some may say that figure is incorrect, because dividing 153 by 1920 gives 0.0796875. Yes it does. But the horizontal pixels in a 1920 by 1080 frame are numbered from 0 to 1919. The normalised value of 1 for the width corresponds to pixel 1919, so to obtain the normalised value for pixel 153 you must divide 153 by 1919, and by doing that you get 0.07972902553413236060448150078166... to as many decimal places as your floating point chip can manage).
Last Edit: 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201587

• fitvallee
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Hi guys,

I took the time to read all of your response but all of this is really confusing to me.

I am not a pro with lightworks, I've been doing regular edits with this program and nothing really advanced yet. I thought I could easily export my video for facebook|instagram ads format but now I realize it is very complicated and I bought this program mostly to make social media ads.

I can download virtualdub and crop my video but now it will only fit one specific size and not the other one all at the same time?

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201588

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
jwrl wrote:
But is it really worth it?

After thinking it over, it isn't.

When adding to your explanation that the problem is only visible on white canvas, and applies only to some combinations, and the calculation in the command line above is only one of several possibilities to pass the parameters, and the filter 'crop' of ffmpeg is part of an encoding process which applies ((with defaults) some rounding to a number divisible by two (which might well depend on the codec used), I think it isn't worth it trying to find absolute congruence. I think, it's better to leave the calculations of the effect as they are and either disable the mask prior to export or tweak ffmpeg settings, if needed.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201589

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
fitvallee wrote:
Hi guys,

I took the time to read all of your response but all of this is really confusing to me.

I am not a pro with lightworks, I've been doing regular edits with this program and nothing really advanced yet. I thought I could easily export my video for facebook|instagram ads format but now I realize it is very complicated and I bought this program mostly to make social media ads.

I can download virtualdub and crop my video but now it will only fit one specific size and not the other one all at the same time?

Even if Lightworks would support direct upload with differently cropped frames to various portals, the major part of the work to create watchable results with differently cropped pictures is reframing each shot for the specific aspect ratio used. This kind of work is composition of pictures, artwork, and can't be done by a machine automatically. However jwrl's effect and the ffmpeg command line I've posted will help you doing it more efficiently.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Editing my video for facebook 3 months ago #201591

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
@fitvallee not sure how many variations of frame sizes are anticipated but it seems one would either have to shoot specifically for each composition or have to frame so as to allow for all variants in single shoot.

Since acquisition devices like cameras tend to be in 16:9 format and since in any event needing multiple framing results one would probably begin with the largest - probably 16:9 - and tighten-in for other formats. Perhaps a sensible workflow would be to produce an edited/graded/with-sound hi-res 16:9 'master' in LW - then process that in other software - at least until LW has custom fame size export options.

There is this -

www.ffastrans.com

- a kind-of version of the extreme high end ContentAgent from Root6

www.root6technology.com/contentagent-2/

- ffastrans could be configured to produce every format required in a single pass but would have a significant learning curve

Or one might use this -

- Intertake from Acrivid with the ability export custom frame sizes and save settings as custom presets -

acrovid.com
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top