• Page:

TOPIC: Vertical Video for Social

Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199619

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

I need to make some vertical videos for mobile phones (I know i know..it's God aweful but it's what's in demand).

I'm not sure if this is possible? i want to make the vertical format so it fits correctly in mobile apps like facebook and instagram.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199622

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

As far as I can read from their specifications, Instagram and Facebook do have entirely different requirements regarding supported video dimensions, aspect ratio, video formats, and upload procedures and, they display differently. However, both support the current HD TV standard, 16:9 upto 1920x1080, landscape. So in fact, there is no need to produce portrait video just to upload to Facebook or Instagram.

Could you describe in some more technical detail what you are planning to do, please? Capturing devices, resolutions, orientation and delivery formats?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199624

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
When people use social media on phones they look at the phone vertically. If they see a video in their feed and click on it the video will pop up to fill the screen. if the video is in a vertical format it will fill the whole screen, if not, they have to flip the phone sideways to fill the screen. The idea is that for marketing purposes people tend interact more with a video that is vertical on their phone, the size fits perfect and they don't have to flip the phone, otherwise seeing the video small with 2 bars on top if its standard format.

It's not a question of why make a vertical video, I have to make them for my clients who want to get into this new trend for video marketing. So i need to be able to export the video in 9:16 for example.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199625

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Theres's no way to export portrait in Lightworks. That might change with V15, but details haven't been published yet. You need third party software to scale, crop, rotate after export, maybe even prior to import.

If you would have provided some details about your workflow and technical data, I would have customized some ffmpeg command lines for you to rotate, scale, crop, but based on what you've posted so far, I can't.

Edit: The announcement from January, see Lightworks 15.0: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=191263&Itemid=81

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199626

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Well I have .mov clips from canon 70d. I could put the video the way I want in lightworks (cropping sides with 3d dve to like 608/1080)and export it normal full hd and then crop the sides with another programs.

The downside to that is it's not full size which would be 1080x1920. I could also insert the the clip sideways (at 90ยบ angle) export it and then rotate to vertical position in another program, although it will be unconfortable editing sideways.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by rolover.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199627

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Just noticed, no point in flipping sideways because I would have to increase the size of the image to fill and would lose resolution anyway.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199628

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thanks, not entirely clear to me, though.

When cropping shots in 1920x1080 landscape to full height 9:16 portrait, pixels are lost . Creating portrait 1080x1920 from cropped 1920x1080 is upscaling, by nature.

The only way to preserve full resolution of the camera would be to shoot video in portrait format, with rotated camera. Is that what you did?

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199629

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
in lightworks 32-bit version (as quicktime is 32-bit@win) you can set the export settings as you like.

s

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199631

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
lghtwrks wrote:
in lightworks 32-bit version (as quicktime is 32-bit@win) you can set the export settings as you like.

Have you tried it with V14.5 prior to posting?

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199632

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Using the latest beta (it auto-rotates portrait video), set your project to UHD. Then after export, use 3rd party software to crop out the black sides and resize to 1080x1920. Minimal resolution drop this way.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199633

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Yeah, that's what I meant by losing resolution.

No, the video was shot normal because it could be used for many platforms although we could shoot specifically vertical for certains things.

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199634

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
khaver wrote:
Using the latest beta (it auto-rotates portrait video), set your project to UHD. Then after export, use 3rd party software to crop out the black sides and resize to 1080x1920. Minimal resolution drop this way.

I think, the D70 doesn't have rotation metadata?

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199635

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Yeah I'm using 14.5

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199637

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Ok thanks for the tip, right now I'm trying to just 608/1080 so i won't lose any quality and then I'll try to crop with other software. Anyone know any other software to crop with? Would virtualdub work?

Re: Vertical Video for Social 3 months, 1 week ago #199638

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Try the suggestions and tell how it works.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top