Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rotate video and size (SOLVED)

Rotate video and size (SOLVED) 1 week, 5 days ago #198877

Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope I don't break any conventions. I'm new to LightWorks too so please assume no knowledge and go gently.

I have recorded some videos on my phone in portrait but they are showing in LightWorks rotated in landscape. I want to rotate them, and I've seen how to do this from other posts using the 3D DVE effect, but it's now cropping the top off my rotated video.

If I apply a Z-position to recentre the video that's fine as I have dead space top and bottom anyway, but its cutting off the right of my video too which is not cool. I cant seem to apply the rotation without losing a necessary chunk of my video. I want to rotate the video without losing any of the canvas area, please can you help?

I don't understand why playing the video on my phone and in Windows Media Player it plays fine, but when I bring it into LightWorks it rotates the orientation?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Andrew.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by andrewjamesgriffin. Reason: Update to solved

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198878

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198880

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
andrewjamesgriffin wrote:
... If I apply a Z-position to recentre the video that's fine as I have dead space top and bottom anyway, but its cutting off the right of my video too which is not cool ..

Is something already cut off before the effect is applied?
In that case please check these project settings:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
In your case, "Full frame" is the right setting.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198901

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. My project settings look ok to me:

When I add my video to the project it shows sideways (it's a playthrough video I've recorded of a board game design that I'm working on):

And then to rotate it (and I'm new so I may be doing this wrong) I go to the VFX tab, then the + tab (add new effects), then double-click 3D DVE:

Then I add a 90 degree Z-rotation to the video, and it cuts chunks of it off:

I'm clearly doing something wrong, or not changing a setting somewhere.

I'll be honest, I find LightWorks to be really difficult to get to grips with as a novice, none of it seems to be intuitive. Something as simple as "open a video file and rotate it 90 degrees" shouldn't be this difficult. I dont even find opening a file to edit it as being straightforward.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Kind regards,
Andrew.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198902

Thanks, just taken a quick look and heartened by the sentence "As it is rotated it's also corrected for size so that no part of the image is lost." - I'll look at installing it and feed back here.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198908

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Your second screenshot is actually a bit strange. Something is missing on the right and left side. I see in the timeline that two effects were active at that time, which was perhaps the cause?

But your last screenshot is ok.
If you want to make the missing bottom part visible, you can minimize with position Z and make vertical adjustments with position Y.

If you test the "Format fixer" effect, you have even more interesting functions.

Do I suppose correctly that the result should be viewed on a vertical monitor?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198935

Hi schrauber,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that was the issue, that when I rotate it the left and right side get cropped. I was only trying to apply one effect (rotation) so I'm not sure what the two effects are that are showing. As I was saying though, I find LightWorks challenging to use because it does more than I need probably so it overcomplicates it for me.

I tried the format fixer effect and it worked perfectly for me, so I'll move forward using that.

My aim is to make a set of videos (one each showing the start / middle / end of my game playthrough) but also to merge them into one full playthrough as a separate video, then load them all to YouTube. So they should be viewable on a standard monitor orientation.

Many thanks all, the format fixer is what I needed,
Andrew.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198936

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
fwiw, 14.6 has the ability to automatically rotate videos

Lightworks Development

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198937

Thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit confused why the orientation is the way that it is anyway, as my phone recorded in portrait and Windows Media Play plays it in portrait, but LightWorks shows it as landscape i.e. rotated. I have version 14.5 by the way.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198938

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Lightworks assumes a landscape orientation because that's the professional video norm and it's way it's delivered to YouTube.

With increasing use of phones for recording video for social media etc, the upcoming V14.6 is addressing the needs of this market sector.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198939

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Do I need to do something to mark this thread as answered?

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198940

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Use edit in your first post and put (Solved) into the subject title.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198941

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
... I have version 14.5 by the way.
"Great White" is a developer, and gave us an insight into what's going to be possible in the next release, thanks.

I'm a bit confused why the orientation is the way that it is anyway, as my phone recorded in portrait and Windows Media Play plays it in portrait, but LightWorks shows it as landscape i.e. rotated..
The metadata of the video is likely to contain information about whether you've held your smartphone horizontally or vertically while recording. Your media player automatically rotates the video according to this data. Lightworks 14.5 can not rotate automatically yet, but the next version.
There are also cases where a 90 ° rotation is undesirable because the user wants to watch the video on a mobile device and can rotate the display.

My aim is to make a set of videos (one each showing the start / middle / end of my game playthrough) but also to merge them into one full playthrough as a separate video ...
For such purposes Lightworks has very useful features. You can work in a project with multiple "Sequences", each with its own timeline. You can merge these timelines, or sections of them, into a new Sequence. You can export sections of a timeline, copy sequences (timelines) and create different versions, regardless of the original sequence, etc.
If you are interested in more details, a new thread would be useful.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by schrauber. Reason: translation

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198942

schrauber wrote:

My aim is to make a set of videos (one each showing the start / middle / end of my game playthrough) but also to merge them into one full playthrough as a separate video ...
For such purposes Lightworks has very useful features. You can work in a project with multiple "Sequences", each with its own timeline. You can merge these timelines, or sections of them, into a new Sequence. You can export sections of a timeline, copy sequences (timelines) and create different versions, regardless of the original sequence, etc.
If you are interested in more details, a new thread would be useful.

I'll see if I can work it out (I did play with adding multiple videos to the timeline) and I'll go from there if I get stuck (by raising a new post). Thanks.

Re: Rotate video and size 1 week, 4 days ago #198943

Done, thanks.

briandrys wrote:
Use edit in your first post and put (Solved) into the subject title.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top