Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy?

Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #198769

• 0Somnus0
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello! I recently downloaded Lightworks, and I'm new to editing software in general. This may just be something wrong on my part, but it seems when I speed up a video it gets really choppy.

I'm recording myself drawing at 10 fps, and I've tried importing it in on auto fps, 24 fps, etc. but none of that seems to help when I try to speed up the video. No matter how little I try to speed it up, it gets really choppy and jumps from scene to scene without showing the small details. Is this normal, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance!
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by 0Somnus0.

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #198770

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Speed up can make playback choppy. When this starts to happen depends on the amount of acceleration, computer power, video format, and complexity of edits. If it happens even with slight acceleration, below 800%, your computer is under powered or you video format too demanding, maybe both. The problem is (should be) fixable either by using the internal proxy workflow, described here, or by converting prior to import to an edit-friendly format.

Could you post your computer details (OS version, Lightworks version, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD) and a Mediainfo report, please?
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072

Is this speed painting which needs acceleration by over 8 times?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #198787

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Update.

I just found that proxy creation doesn't work with frame rates below 24 fps, including 10 fps, although the footage is importable.

Based on the requested information, I'm pretty sure that we'll find a workaround for you.

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 1 week ago #199509

• Haxnicks
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hi, this might not help but is the choppiness when you export or when you are still in the edit?
If it is in the edit then you may find (as I did) that it is just your computer doesn't have the power to play the speeded up track. When I exported mine it worked fine. I still can't see it in Edit mode but the final film is right.

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 1 week ago #199512

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hi Haxnicks,

Fully correct, what I've explained above refers only to playback in preview.

If you still have choppy playback in preview, have you tried the internal proxy workflow with your material already? It increases editing performance (including speed up) significantly.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 1 week ago #199513

• Haxnicks
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
No I haven't and actually have no idea what that means. How would I go about that? I'd be very interested in finding out

Re: Speeding Up Videos Makes Them Choppy? 1 month, 1 week ago #199515

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Here you'll find some explanation what it is and how it's done.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
Tell how it works for you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top