Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Organise massive project

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198148

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
And an example from a documentary is a good one to follow. Documentaries are all about good organisation. They're at the extreme end of media management.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198156

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
On paper as a 'mind map', or whatever open-ended format works best break for one, plot the principal project components.

The script: Here typically Scenes are the basic component - they may be 'interviews', 'locations' or whatever. So with say 73 scenes in a script there will in teh next stage be at lest 73 bins holding relevant material

Organise the acquisition phase by source - Cam1, Cam2 .... Stock Footage and so on also cross reference those those to the 'script' breakdown by making 'script' based bins and sorting all imported items into these 'script' based bins. Importantly make as many logically defined 'Groups' as one can imagine. In a large project Groups are one's best friend - open on bin in a Group and all other bins in that group are accessible from the top menu bar

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Begin editing use the organisation established above.

Here if we have with something like 73 scenes we will also have close to 73 1st Scene Assembly Edits - when any first scene assembly is finished - make a copy of that - store the assembly in a named bin - rename the copy - 1st Rough Cut or whatever - repeat the copy/keep stage/rename copy as many times as necessary before there are enough scene edits to start assembling the Script (or part script) Edits.

Never throw-away/delete or overwrite a completed 'stage' - always keep it as a backstop and as evidence of the editor's progressing thinking.

On a large project with a 'script' containing 73 definable 'scenes' before finishing there will be hundreds of 'stage' edits - each one an important signpost along the path to the final project. On that same project the first Assembly Edits will not have been accessed for many weeks - but they are still there - that's the power of LW editing.

Well organised all of this plus the any additional sub-edits for promotional use or whatever can be held in a single intelligently planned and organised project. There is not even a pressing need to use multiple rooms.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198160

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the advice here for large projects as it is new territory for me. In one case, I have an interview that is over three hours long. The interviewee covers a lot of topics. Can I label/code a footage strip with 'topic a', 'topic b', 'topic c' etc.. to organise the project better?

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198163

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Breaking a very long clip down by sub-clipping would be one way - use sub-clips as if clips

Adding named cues to the long clip would be another approach - then to use open the cue panel click on name - LW jumps to that cue.

No hard and fast rules - adjust to the way one prefers to work.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198222

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I like the subclip method. Logging footage into named subclips, then organizing those into bins by whatever criteria make the most sense is the first step. The same subclip might be copied into several bins for different reasons: scene, theme or ideas, type of shot, etc.
I then create bins for named sequences. Drag the clips for a sequence into the assigned bin in order. You now have a storyboard of subclip thumbnails. Right click and select make sequence from bin contents. You now have a rough cut edit sequence. From there you can refine the cuts and transitions, any titles and effects, add and mix audio tracks to get to a finished sequence.
The beauty of this approach is that you can do multiple rough edits for the same or different scenes instantly to get an idea of how things play together. Then pick the best ones to refine to completion.
These sequences then get assembled into the final completed film. Clips, stills, subclips, sequences, are all treated the same as far as how the editing timeline works.
I tend to spend a lot of time in that first stage of logging and organizing footage, especially on long term doc projects like one that is into its third year now with more than 12 hours of footage in the can and more yet to come. Knowing the footage well to start with makes finding and building a story arc much easier.
Mind you, all of this is essentially database management of creative decisions. You have not actually duplicated or created any video that takes up significant drive space, just a list of edit decisions that Lightworks uses to render the timeline to your screen in real time. You only create new video when you export a timeline.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198227

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
@David Rasberry Thanks, workflow for massive projects is something I am trying to figure out. I know I can make at least a couple of short films from the big pool in addition to the main project. Bins and subclips are something else I also need to get used to. I need to play around and figure bins work and move footage between them for testing.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198228

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
There are several hours of interviews, but there is a core person who is the hub and everyone else are spokes. Perhaps it may be a good idea to move the core interviewee into his own bin and focus/organise that piece and then re-import the sequence into the main timeline once it has been properly cut and annotated.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198230

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
@RWAV Wow, this looks really useful. I looked at your attachment and this may help me break down my project into more manageable pieces. So say if I have a one-hour chunk of an interview, that would be a bin or a group? Interviewee talks about topic a, b, c, d, e, and so on. Each topic would have its own clip so I can search and drop the clip as needed into the master document. I am using the default layout for LW, so maybe your workflow may best be used in custom?

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198232

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Bins and Groups are different from folders as we known them from operating systems. They are more like organized search views rather than unique locations. The most significant difference is that the same object can live in multiple bins.

There are multiple tutorials about Content Management to be found under 'Tutorials' on top of this page. This is 'Managing Bins & Groups part 1/4'

The tutorials show the GUI of V12, similar to current Flexible layout. There are some changes/improvements with current versions, but the basic priciple hasn't changed.

With V14.5 ranged cue markers have been implemented which are worth a look when creating subclips.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198254

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198284

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
FathomStory - yes, working in Flexible layout would most likely be better for your project.

In theory it's not very difficult -
1. Define the trajectory of the project's 'story' - conceptualise it as chunks however they are defined; acts, scenes, locations, messages, moods or other; each with their own journey, their own beginning/middle/end
2. De-construct the material to correspond to the project chunks and organise it so it is easy to find. (yes, David Rasberry sub-clipping would be preferable to cue marking) This is a gradual process normally developing as the acquisition phase rolls on and shots come in to the edit room.

Step 1 is an mental image of the project with the ability to 'zoom-in' right down to individual details.
Step 2 makes the pieces one will have to give life to that conceptualised form and organises those pieces into accessible piles.

3. It is like a huge jigsaw puzzle as pieces come in an editor begins to assemble them; like a jigsaw puzzle one does not start at top left and work in a linear pattern to bottom right. Start with a piece that's easy to fit into place - develop that area a bit. As with a jigsaw puzzle work in sections, if it doesn't feel right look for a better piece --- enough of that analogy -- the concept is not difficult, the execution and essential constant cross referencing to the original project aims is where it becomes interesting.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198286

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
@RWAV The constraints are what LW allows as a program. I am trying to work around the parameters set here.

@RAW, @Hugly @briandrys Thanks for the links, this will help me figure out how to leverage the software. That said, I have tried 'Flexible' mode and often struggle with it. 'Fixed' mode is a bit easier to work with. However, I don't mind short term pain for long term gain.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198289

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
LW is eminently fit for purpose and accessible for users across a broader range of project scale than most if not all other NLEs. In turn the user needs to ensure their overall system configuration is a match for their needs.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198294

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
@rwav Sure, but some of us are indoctrinated by an educational system that wants to standardise tools. For instance, I was trained in Adobe, so Lightworks was quite a change for me. There is a lot of stuff to unlearn and then adapt to. Lightworks tools are not always readily apparent when you are indoctrinated in different ways. I get for you it is 'eminently fit', but some of us have to struggle with it a bit.

Re: Organise massive project 4 months, 3 weeks ago #198295

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I started learning Lightworks with the GUI now called 'Flexible layout', there was nothing else. From my point of view, it still has its strength on systems with multiple monitors (at least two). On single monitor systems, I don't use it anymore.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top