Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video

Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 1 week, 2 days ago #196163

• NewEditor2019
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Hi guys

I was wondering if you could help. I have a picture which is basically a wall of text. The audio in the video will be reading the text and I only really want a sentence at a time to show in the image.

So once the audio has read the first sentence then the second sentence appears then the next once the audio has caught up.

So far my very crude solution is to add the image say 50 images (if I had 50 sentences) with each image showing 1 more sentence and then I will try and align it all. Surely there is an easier way?

Can it be done using an image overlay? Where the overlay covers the text and then deletes after a certain amount of time and hence reveals the next sentence?

Thanks.

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 1 week, 2 days ago #196164

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Welcome to the forum.

You can use the fade in and out found in the title effect tab to bring each title up and down.

You'll have to put in a title effect for each sentence, but you can use mark and park to set the initial timing, together with where each sentence will start and finish.

You can create a template if the title is very complex to set up.

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 1 week, 2 days ago #196166

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
If I understhand what you're describing, the easiest way to do this would be to use masks to reveal the text as the dialog or VO speaks it.

Sadly, you can't really animate masks that way in Lightworks, but you could easily do this in After Effects or Fusion.

Here's a zip with project example project files for each:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

An example made in AE:

An example made in Fusion:

I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by arniepix.

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 1 week, 2 days ago #196171

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Here in the video an example with 3 lines and the Ligtworks Wipe effect:

The downside is that for different layouts, different masks are needed.

The mask for installation in wipe effect:
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 1 week, 2 days ago #196172

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
What the Youtube videos about AE and Fusion show, can be easily done in Lightworks with Typewriter settings on the Titles effect.

However, I have the impression that from your description it isn't clear what you wish to achieve exactly. Could you link to some video showing the effect that you're thinking of?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 5 days, 7 hours ago #196313

• NewEditor2019
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 7 hours ago
schrauber wrote:
Here in the video an example with 3 lines and the Ligtworks Wipe effect:

The downside is that for different layouts, different masks are needed.

The mask for installation in wipe effect:

This is what I am trying to achieve.

However the lines of text will be one single image.

Can this still be done if my backdrop is just a single image (with lines of text).

Will give it a go anyway.

Thanks
Last Edit: 5 days, 7 hours ago by NewEditor2019.

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 5 days, 6 hours ago #196314

• NewEditor2019
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
I am actually using the standard bar wipe function now to get the effect I want.

However is it possible to change the colors of the bars? Currently the covered area is black and then it wipes down to reveal the image can I change that black cover color to say white?

Re: Trying to get an image of text to gradually show in a video 4 days, 23 hours ago #196320

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 days, 23 hours ago
A wipe is usually used to transition between two sources. It's a two input effect. However in your case you're just applying it to one image, so one of the inputs isn't connected to anything. In a case like that you will see black as the wipe transitions to or from the unconnected input.

If you wish to use a colour instead, that colour will need to be available to the wipe. The simple way to do that is to add a colour matte before you start your wipe. That's an effect that you'll find in the mattes category. You can set it to be any colour that you like.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top