Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you use Milestones?

How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195878

• TheFluffyNeps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
So essentially I made a massive mistake.

I thought I copied my previous work so that I could work on the beginning of my video easier and my rationale was that I could simply just paste the 2nd half back once I was finished.

I was completely dead wrong because all that happened when I pressed paste was that Lightworks pasted the work I just did. Why!? That's not at all what I copied!

So now I'm here with a lot of my work completely gone.

I've tried restoring from backups (There is literally 1 and that's the post-2nd half gone version) and pretty much everything else under the blue moon on the forums.

So far the only thing that I'm not sure that works or not would be trying to use the Milestones I have to try and restore previous versions of my edits; only problem is I have no idea how to get it to work.

I close Lightworks, take a milestone and replace the current folder (so EXXPX7.4 > EXXPX7.ed5) but no matter what files I edit or change, the project never changes and after 3 hours of messing with the files the best I managed to do was just remove the entire timeline. I'm not even sure what file I deleted did that.

So yeah. I'm pretty much stuck right now. I have no idea how to use milestones to restore the previous version of my project and quite frankly, anything would be of help.

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195880

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum,

Did you read that?: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=154942&Itemid=81#154978
Did you do the backup before your manipulations?

TheFluffyNeps wrote:
... I thought I copied my previous work so that I could work on the beginning of my video easier and my rationale was that I could simply just paste the 2nd half back once I was finished.

I was completely dead wrong because all that happened when I pressed paste was that Lightworks pasted the work I just did. Why!? That's not at all what I copied!.
Without screenshots, I can't understand your workflow.
What do you mean by "copy"? A new sequence object, or just a copy of timeline segments to a different position on the same timeline?
What exactly do you mean by "paste". (Mouse cationaction (which exactly)? Keyboard command (which exactly)?)

Did you press "Undo" first?

Do you have several "Sequences" in your project content?
Have you ever worked with several "Sequences" in one project (different independent timelines)?
Have you ever copied "Sequences", and managed these copies (tiles) in the project content?
Have you successfully used "Sequences" as a source for a master sequence?

Did you export manual backups?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by schrauber. Reason: Missing greeting added, typo fixed

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195881

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
As well as schrauber's import questions all aimed at instructing in steps to take for protect protection - please see the LW v14.5 user guide page 73-75 for milestone information.

It is unclear exactly what you have done after the error was noticed - perhaps so many steps have been taken that your older milestones have been cycled out of existence.

For future reference
- if a dire situation is suspected make a full project backup to protect what you have before launching into experimental cures.
- make a full backup now - before you take any further steps - to protect what you still have in your project.
- to backup go to the main project tab - top left of screen - go to 'Details' 'make Backup'. Since this is an emergency backup for hopeful recover tick all the 'include media check-boxes' and if archive exists 'Create New'. Select a computer drive location and 'Do It'.

Now read the information about restoring milestones - from your description it sounds like you have tried to restore or copy/replace files at a computer file level - please do it as described in the user guide.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by RWAV.

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195884

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
Do you have several "Sequences" in your project content? ..

So I'm asking so much about the details of the Sequences, because depending on the workflow, it's possible that the original, maybe undamaged, Sequence still exists in the "Project Contents" ("Filters" > "Sequences") ?
In this case milestones are completely inappropriate.

It would only be necessary to select the correct Sequence within the Lightworks UI.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195904

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
It's possible that there may be a few misunderstandings here. First, if you made a copy of your sequence then continued editing that copy would still exist. You could always go back to it and it will be completely unaffected if you had a disaster with your main version.

If that's what you did and you tried to use the paste command you will not get the contents of that copy. You will get whatever is in the clipboard, which could be absolutely anything.

Finally, if you have already tried to restore from a milestone you may have removed the very data that you're trying to recover. As schrauber says, in this case milestones are completely inappropriate. Check your sequences bin. you could be pleasantly surprised.

I have deleted your post, hugly. I know that English is not your primary language, but that reads to a native English speaker as a sneer at RWAV's suggestion. At best that would be extremely discourteous, which I'm sure is not what you intended.

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195906

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
If it didn't sound appropriate, thanks for deleting my post.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195914

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Just for the record - the full context of my observation on the user's technique was -
from your description it sounds like you have tried to restore or copy/replace files at a computer file level - please do it as described in the user guide
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do you use Milestones? 1 month, 1 week ago #195915

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Yes, I can confirm that!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top