Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline?

How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191630

• jbitakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
How do I see my photo for at least 5 seconds on the timeline. I only see it for a brief second or less when I drag it down to the timeline. How do I change the time frame for viewing each photo or anything that I drag and drop down on the timeline?

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191631

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

To get you started, I would suggest you check out this video:

Further information can be found in the V14.5 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191632

• jbitakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Yeah I watched that. It showed putting videos into the timeline, but not photos. I want to view my photos for at least 5 seconds. As of right now I can only see them for about 1 second.

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191636

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
It sounds like you imported them with the setting at 1 second, which is strange, since the default setting is much higher. You treat the video of stills the same as any other video clip when placing them into the timeline. The import options range from 1 second to 60 second duration. This is set in the import menu

Since these are stills, you could insert the clips a number of times into the timeline, so that the overall running time is longer. Although, you'll run into difficulties if you want to do transitions like dissolves.

Personally, I would delete the stills from the project and reimport the stills with a longer duration. Just be careful to delete the clips and not the contents of the bin, right clicking on the clip tile and using the clip commands is the safest method. You won't damage the source photos doing this.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191640

• jbitakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I checked the import settings and it is set at 60 seconds for video stills. These are jpg photos. Does that matter?

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191643

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
No it doesn't matter. The import setting is just how long the imported file will nominally appear to be.

In fact a still like a .jpg once imported can be extended to the limits of a LW sequence which is one frame short of 24 Hours.

In the attached - the clip on the left, an imported .jpg is a nominal 1 second long it is parked 12 frames from the head but an imported still clip does not show a frame count it does show a total clip duration - the red number on the timeline.

In the sequence on the right the imported nominally 1 second .jpg has been extended, not inserted 86,400 times, to a total running time of 23:59:59:24 and is parked on frame 12:00:00:00 - the sequence shows all normal time and frame counts.

If a clip is needed to run longer than imported length - simply use normal trimming controls and extend as required.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191645

• jbitakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Still unable to see my photos more than a brief 1 second on the timeline once I drag it there. Please help me. I've attached a screenshot of my first project.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by jbitakis. Reason: didn't put the attachment on correctly

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191646

• jbitakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
When I drag it down to the timeline I see it says replace when I get it down to the timeline. I am getting really frustrated with this software. Why is this so hard to simply drag a photo to the timeline for a certain # of seconds???

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191647

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Oh - it seemed the problem was how to make the 1 second play longer - the attached shows one way to do that.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Perhaps the problem is further back than that - have ou watched the V14 Quick Start Guide?
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191649

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
There are two choices when drag/dropping - replace or insert. Holding the Shift Key when dragging to the timeline toggles to the other option.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191651

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hello,

You show three imported images, all with the same name, "IMG". I suspect that the original files names have a trailing number and there are more than three of that kind in the source folder. If so, you didn't switch off detection of image sequences prior to import. Unfortunately, this switch is enabled by default.

Please try, delete the already imported images from "Filters.Clips". Switch to "Local Files", right click and deselect "Video.Detect image-sequences", set "Video.Stills duration (seconds) to "5", import some images, and see what happens.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191656

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
LW has no problem with importing multiple individual images with the same name even with identical content - this is not an issue here

BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191657

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I know, as you probably can image but, one has to either change the clip name after import or import from different folders, how likely ist that and frankly, I don't know any camera which creates a file named IMG without a trailing number, do you?

But most beginners who work with stills have trouble with default image sequence detection enabled. Most don't even know what an image sequence is.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191659

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I'm not sure how an image sequence would impact on each clip seeming to be only 1 second long. One frame I could understand.

Regarding insert, if drag and dropping I drop the clip into the sequence viewer, so that it inserts at the playhead in the timeline. Otherwise I use "v" to insert at the playhead. I haven't used the "shift" drag and drop method, since they changed it.

On the first project screengrab, there doesn't appear to be any clips in the sequence timeline. Please would you put some clips in and then zoom in on the timeline using "+" icon, so that we can easily read the length of the clips.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: How do I change the time frame of viewing each photo on the timeline? 1 year, 8 months ago #191661

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
If it was an image sequence then it wold import as a single clip - not three items.

The OP might share some insights into each of those items - are they each the duration of the default single image length.

If I give my three files a numerically sequential name then this is the resulting import.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top