• Page:

TOPIC: trimming multiple tracks

trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191450

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi there,

there is something that I am still figuring out which is best way to do. I have a gap between clips in one track that I would like to close keeping the sync of the other tracks. I have been trying to trim all the tracks but when I select the point to do the trim (with the mouse) for each track it keeps changing the trim point in the others tracks. Also if I select the in and out point in all the tracks and move the block the blank space that I want to close replaces the clip of the left. Is there something I miss? I have attaches the segment of the time line.

thanks
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Dell G5 Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz × 12, 8G RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 6G VRAM, Fedora 28

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191451

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Well I found that selecting each track separately and then select the trim point for each one does it. So I think I found the answer.
Dell G5 Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz × 12, 8G RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 6G VRAM, Fedora 28

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191453

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Seems that you did. The discovery is that LW has the most powerful of trimming commands able to be executed at different points in the timeline as different trims and as required to make the adjustments the editor needs in a single operation.

If required unjoin/rejoin opens and closes the last used trim - so if one needs a small further adjustment - it's very simple.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 1 month ago by RWAV.

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191464

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
great, thanks a lot for the pics and it is good to know that it open close in the last trim, that's great

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191474

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi again, I am able to do the trimming perfectly, however it would be good to move the yellow cursor not with the mouse between the cuts of each track but with the short-cuts to nudges frames and "a" and "s" to quick navigate and use the short-cuts to define the kind of trim for each track at a specific point in the time line. is there a way to move the cursor in trim mode without actually make the trim until the trim point for each track are defined?

thanks a lot

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191475

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Do the "," and "." single frame moves carry out what you want?

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191478

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
A left-click on the cut unjoins it. With mouse over the cut, watch trim assistance before clicking, depending on mouse position it indicates one of three three possible modes on a single cut: Trim-in (left bracket), Trim-out (right bracket), and Move-cut (right and left bracket). Then, click to unjoin and you can use any of the transport commands assigned to shortcuts to trim, e.g. the shortcuts mentioned by briandrys. To join after trimming, press <TAB>-key. To unjoin the same cut again, press <TAB>-key a second time.

This way you can unjoin also mutliple cuts, e.g. trim-in and trim-out on the same segment allows to "slip" the cut, Trim-out on the previous segment together with trim-in of the next allows to slide the cut.

Please note: Status of "Auto track sync" from timeline commands" affect the the tracks which are unjoined when clicking, be careful not to desync sound from picture by trimming if it is disabled. You can toggle "Auto track sync" by pressing the alt key. That's very convenient when making J- and L-cuts by moving the cut on video or sound.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191479

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi, well it does the trim which is what I would like to control. In other words, I want to do the trim in different points for each track. In order to select the "trim point" for each track I need activate the track (and desactivate the other tracks) and to move the timeline marker (which is yellow) with the mouse or just select the trim that I want to do with the mouse on the edge of the clips. The question is if in the trim mode I can move throughout the cuts without trimming with the shortcuts, and then perform the trimming with the (same) shortchuts after all the trim points are selected for each track. In a way, is how to do this only with shortcut and no mouse in the process.

thanks

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191480

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
A picture is worth a thousand words, even though the version of Lightworks shown is outdated:

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191482

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi hugly,

thanks. I know how to trim already, I just was wondering if there is a way to do the whole process with shortcuts. Maybe I am trying to make Lightworks a kind of emacs. However, I had missed the alt+click of the video, which make the process faster than selecting and deselecting tracks.

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191483

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
You can use key short cuts for the tracks;

V1 = "1"
V2 = "2"
A3 = "3"
A2 = "4"
A3 = "5"
On up to A8 = "0"

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191484

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
yep, I have assigned the selection and de-selection of the tracks to shortcuts, and it is a big part of the way I use Lightworks. That is why I would like to move the timeline marker in trim mode without trimming until all the trimming points of each track are selected. In other words to move the cursor using ("a" "s" "m" "," "." "/") in order to select the point in time to be trimmed for each track with "q", "w", "e", "r", "t", "y", "u", and only then to perform the trim with "a" "s" "m" "," "." "/". I would say that the alt+click kind of does the job, but sometime some of the clips I want to trim are very back on the timeline, therefore I need to zoom out and then in to use the mouse. In other words, I would like to select the track, select the trim mode in a specific point in time for that track, deselect the track and select another track, move with the "s" short-cut to another point in the timeline without trimming the clip of the first track selected, and so on until all the "to be trimmed" clips in the different points in time for each track are selected, and only then perform the trim with the same shortcuts that we use to move around.

I think I am forcing to do the things in a very specific way which I do not think is possible with other NLE, I just wondering if this was possible with Loghtworks. Thanks

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191485

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
You can do it entirely with shortcuts, but I think you will find out after a while that using the mouse to unjoin and shortcuts to trim is easier and faster , in particular because there's no need to disable/enable tracks when doing so.

Let me know if you think different after a few hours of trimming.

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191486

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I was thinking the same. The trick is the alt+click. Is just the obsession for not getting my hands separated too long from the keyboard. Thanks

Lightworks 14.5

Re: trimming multiple tracks 1 month ago #191487

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Everybody has to find their own way. In my view, the default key assignment needs two hands to reach most common operations. This ignores that Lightworks needs one hand on the mouse, in particular for the context menus.

I use Lightworks in two ways, either with the Contour Shuttle and the mouse (no keyboard at all) or with the keyboard and the mouse. In the latter case, I've modified the keyboard layout for left handed use, because I hold the mouse always with the right hand.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top