Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Masking an effect

Masking an effect 1 week, 4 days ago #189255

• Frallowitsch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hello Guys,

I am new to Lightworks and I am trying to cut a little advertising spot about my sport Swingolf (it does exist mostly only in Germany and France). However, I have relativly simple task: I wand to make look the shown image in black and white / greyscale – or better: with a saturation closely to zero. Just the ball should stay as bright orange as it is.

So, I thought it should be possible to give this segment the effect "Color Correction" which is masked with a Color Mask (or maybe with an animated 2D-Shape-Mask). I am trying and experimenting with the several effects (Masked Blend etc.) but I don't get to the point...
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

How do I have to structure the routing and which objects/effects do I need to use?
May some of the experts here help me?

Okay, another possibility would be to duplicate the segment to another video track, then mask it and then give it the color correction. But I'd say this would be a not-so-smart-way of doing this job...

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 4 days ago #189256

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Right. The effect that you're asking about is commonly called "the Pleasantville effect". It's simple to achieve, and can be done in several ways. The simplest is probably to download and install the "Colour mask" effect. You'll find it in ART EFFECTS, along with a link to instructions on how to install user effects.

It does everything in the one effect. As well as selective colourgrading, it also has angled cropping built in.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189288

• Frallowitsch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Hey, thank you for the super fast reply!
This is exactly what I had in mind, thanks also for that.

The effect works nice and it's generally interesting to open the fx-file in Notepad to see the relatively simple code and how this works.

But (!) I have still one or more "buts"...

1) The Cropping function in this effect would be a lot more useful, if it would be possible to give it a "soft edge / gradient border". As you can see on the screenshot it works good for my example (I just cannot exclude 100% of the inner without effecting the ball itself). Using the Cropping function make it look only worse, as you cann see the hard edges in the second screenshot.

using the Colour Mask effect:

with cropping (top and right):

2) I don't understand fully the saturation and Luminance settings. It looks like they wouldn't have any effect when changing the value. Plus, I would like to understand better why I can change the shape of the selected area in the colour bar to trapezoid.

3) I'd still like to know how this job would be done with lightworks standard "on-board" effects.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189290

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Hello,

Lightworks provides "on-board" selective colour correction, from "Colour.Selective Correction". It should work with the red ball, less sliders, less chances to do something wrong.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189291

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Update.

I see from a short test with your first screenshot that there's trouble separating the red bouncing from the ball to the hand, very difficult to separate without masking the ball with a circle shape. And, if the ball moves, you need keyframes for position and size of the mask.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189292

• Frallowitsch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Yes, I already had the idea that it should be simple to use a 2D-shape-mask for that effect. And yes, it need to be animated (just slightly, the sequence has a duration of only ~2 seconds).

So, how could I mask this color effect with a 2D-shape-mask?

Can someone share a screenshot of the routing editor?

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189293

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I would just use the Chromakey effect, keying on the orange ball, feeding 2 versions of the frame through the created mask, the normal frame to the background and the desaturated frame to the foreground.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189294

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Same problem khaver, as far as I can see, too much orange on the hand to get rid of it without affecting the ball.

Does it work for you with the first screenshot above?

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189295

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
Does it work for you with the first screenshot above?

I’ll try when I get a chance.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189296

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
One way :

(where the selective-correction is desaturating all but orange)
Lightworks Development

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189315

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Years ago back in the days of analogue TV I had to make a commercial where a red car drove around in a monochrome world. A combination of rotoscoping and chromakeying worked then - it should work here too. You wouldn't need too much precision with the shape or tracking of the simple 2D shape.

Like you we had trouble with the driver's flesh tones keying along with the car. Fortunately we tested before shooting the actual commercial. The solution? Black and white make up for the driver - obviously not possible in your case. We then used quite simple rotoscoping to clean up the environment around the car.

I decided to see what could be done with a chromakey solution. I chose not to use a simple 2D shape, but one of khaver's Polymask effects, which are personal favourites of mine for this sort of work. I chose a sixteen sided mask. Here's the setup of the chromakey, the routing, and the end result.

It's not bad, but a second poly mask around the fingers on the right of frame would clean up the bleed on the fingers perfectly. Also the hue settings don't need the angle shown in the grab - they're probably contributing to the bleed on the grass.
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189317

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Alright, so I'm a perfectionist! I fine tuned the key some more, added a second Polymask - this time an 8 sided one - and separated the logo in the top right of frame as its own artwork. I put that back in as an image key to give- THIS!

[EDIT] An explanation of why I'm using a Polymask and not a simple circle: As the ball is put down the thumb will cut across the ball and will become coloured. A circle won't mask that problem but a Polymask will. The other problem that a simple circle will leave you with is the tee, which is the same colour as the ball. As the ball goes onto the tee a section of the ball will be cut by it. Possibly a combination of a circle and Polymask would be a more elegant solution that two Polymasks though.
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189320

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
And now, imagine the ball without the hand, an iron 5 hits the ball deforming it heavily on impact and driving it away vibrating, filmed with 10,000 frame per second.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 3 days ago #189323

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Then I would use a tool designed to do the job, not a video editor. You can drive a screw in with a screwdriver or with a hammer. I know which of the two I'd prefer.

Re: Masking an effect 1 week, 1 day ago #189549

• Frallowitsch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Guys, you are really great! So many (slightly) different solutions.
And sorry, I cannot reply as fast as you give advices here...

I tried to experiment a bit with the different methods.
Unfortunately my Lightworks sometimes crashes in an unpredictible manner. For example when I try the method with PolyMask. It doesn't actually crash, but freeze.
I have/had the same problems when I put the third animated (zoom) title in one other section. I have two clips in my Sequence, which both I made to proxy. This at least seem to help a bit, but I still have this annoying problem.
Both CPU (Dual Core 3,1GHz) and RAM (8GB) remain at a low level while this freezing.
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

So, off-topic question for this threat: what can I do against this problem?

--

The problem with the Simple2D-shape-Mask is not that my ball is slightly moving (I could animate the mask), but at one point also the thumb of the hand is in front of the ball.

So, I think I still prefer the Colour Mask and live with the minimal remaining orange/red shadows on the inner side of the hand.

btw. this is NOT a normal golf ball, this is SWINGOLF! The balls are a bit bigger and softer and you use only ONE batch instead of countless sticks in a bag. It is a simple and more nature related version of golf. Also the courses are shorter (50 to 300 meter) and there aren't any access restrictions. You just go there, pay 12 bucks and can play.
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by Frallowitsch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top