Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Insufficient media to add transition?!?

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185207

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Follow on from post #185199: it's quite possible to use dissolves with unfolded effects too. Mark one end of the region that you want the dissolve to occupy, and park at the other. You should see something similar to this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Add your dissolve. Because there's a marked section it will default to "Target region > Marked Section" - you need just apply it. What you will get with the example above is the following.

If this is a dissolve in, as it is this won't work correctly. It will fade out the image rather than fade it in. That's fine for a dissolve out, but at this end of the effect, not what we want. It happens because the routing by default will be as shown.

Fairly obviously, we can go through and change the routing for every dissolve in to this.

That isn't a very attractive solution. It would really be nice if we had a dissolve that worked the right way without needing to play around with routing. Well we don't, but we can very easily make one that we can use every time that we have this need. First, open the graph display. It should look like this.

Grab the start keyframe and drag it to the top of the display, and the end keyframe and drag it to the bottom. What you should end up with is this.

Once you've done that, right click in the empty space below the graph window. The following drop down menu will appear.

Click on "Save as template.." and give the saved effect a name that's meaningful to you. You will then be able to use that as a dissolve in every time that you need to. The standard dissolve is unchanged by this process and will still work as a dissolve out.

And if that still doesn't meet your needs I'm unable to help further.
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185284

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
"It really does sound like you're trying to force Lightworks to be some other post production tool."

Wrong, I am saying that these programs have simple ways to apply dissolves for stills and Lightworks does not appear to have this. That's it. It would be nice if Lightworks has a simple way to dissolve video into stills.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185286

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
It has.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185287

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Okay.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185292

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
As mentioned earlier, this is the easiest method and it's a simple dissolve:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=184566&Itemid=81#184700

Lightworks uses nodes and for a more complex effect requirement, you could find yourself using the routing.
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years, 1 month ago #185294

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
@briandrys There, got it. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185440

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Here is another snag, I have png stills that I am trying to dissolve into. I have footage of a speaker in h264 @59.94 fps at seven minutes. At the two minute mark, I cannot fade into the still ("there is insufficient incoming and outgoing media to add the transition here"). However, at the 2:20 mark, I can fade out. Sometimes adjusting the length of the still or the length of the transition allows for the dissolve to occur, but not in this case. I have more than enough incoming and outgoing so am not sure why I cannot do the fade in.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185442

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
What it sounds like could be happening is you may have two cuts very close together. Try this. Drag your red cursor to the right of the cut that's causing problems and press the "a" key. It should jump to the cut. Press the "a" key again. If the cursor doesn't appear to move or moves only slightly there's your problem. To fix it, right click on your timeline and from the sequence commands, choose Remove > Redundant commands. Repeat the diagnostic technique using the "a" key again. It should now jump away from the cut when you press "a" the second time. You should now be able to do your dissolve.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by jwrl.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185443

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
The Message "insufficient overlapping media" is by no means helpful. Long discussions exist about insufficient information and support provided by the the program when the problem occurs, but in any case I've seen here it here, it's rock-solid in detecting insufficient overlapping material.

On the other hand, it's unlikely, but I can't exclude that you might have encountered an unknown bug.

To verify, you can switch TC display on the sequence viewers to show timecode of the original (primary TC) and use N-Key to pop-out original. Popped out original shows with the blue marks the length of the segment and both timeline marker show the same frame. Executed one the incoming and the outgoing frame of the cut, you can inspect available material.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185446

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Here's a screen capture, if that helps any:
imgur.com/a/zj4vYXz

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185450

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
The cuts seem to be unjoined. With unjoined cuts transitions aren't applicable and the error message you show is pretty likely from an earlier action. Press <TAB> to join and try again, with playhead on incoming cut and dissolve From here to "fade-in".

Just a side note, if there's a background track anyway and you don't need picture over black, you can fold effects also into the background. Set empty cuts (C-key) for duration of the image key. Avoid empty cuts on audio tracks (deselect audio tracks before setting empty cuts on video).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185457

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
One frame gaps and orphan frames, always a possibly when using drag and drop editing, will also trigger the insufficient media warning. You need to zoom into the timeline to spot these.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185458

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Saved by Youtube.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185461

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Thar's one of the videos in this sticky: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81

There are a number of causes of the error message, that covers a couple pf them.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185463

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
The video did not directly address my issue but it gave me enough clues to figure it out and resume working. Sweet relief. I get tunnel vision obsessed when stuck, but am glad to be working again. Thanks for your efforts, all. Now working with Lightworks a bit smoother.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top