Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Insufficient media to add transition?!?

Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185110

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I am trying to add a transition and keep getting a message about there being insufficient space--but there is more than enough space for a transition between two footage pieces. I cannot work out why the program suddenly decides not to allow transitions one moment and allows it the next.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185112

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Hi,

Imagine a transition in film, there must be a piece of film left and a piece of film right, both have to overlap for the whole duration of the transition - a transition is a composite. If there isn't an overlap, a transition can't work, if there is insufficient overlap, duration has to be shortened to meet the overlap. That hasn't changed with video.

Here you'll find more detailed explanations and methods to fix: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185114

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I know, you would think right?!?

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185116

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
THIS is my favourite. I am up against a deadline and Lightworks chooses now to freeze up. I cannot afford to lose the work I did in the last couple of hours. I was trying to transition to a company logo and that was too much for Lightworks to handle. (I should not have bothered to try) in the first place.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185118

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
FathomStory wrote:
I know, you would think right?!?

I don't understand, please elaborate.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185119

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Is there ANY way to fade into a company logo? I keep getting that insufficient space to transition BS message.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185120

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
FathomStory wrote:
Is there ANY way to fade into a company logo? I keep getting that insufficient space to transition BS message.

Yes there is, definitely.

Some more information about the way you have imported the logo (Image key or as video) and how material is arranged in your timeline much appreciated, a screenshot maybe?
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185121

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
How are you placing the logo into the timeline? Is this a still that you've imported or are you using image key?

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185122

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
@FathomStory

Assume two clips on the timeline between which you want a transition. Call these clips Left and Right, based on their timeline positions.

Examine clip Left. If the last frame of this clip is also the last frame of your source-material clip, you have insufficient material for a transition.

Examine clip Right. If the first frame of this clip is also the first frame of your source-material clip, you likewise have insufficient material for a transition.

Understand the meaning of these sentences before proceeding. When you understand what they mean, you are on your way to understanding transitions. MUCH has been written about this topic on this forum!

For clip Left, to be able to add a transition, there MUST be enough material on the SOURCE clip BEYOND the last frame of the clip you placed in the timeline to allow the transition. At 30 fps, that would be 15 frames.

For clip Right, to be able to add a one-second transition, there MUST be enough material on the SOURCE clip BEFORE the last frame of the clip you placed in the timeline to allow the transition. At 30 fps, that would be 15 frames.

Were the project 60fps, 30 frames would be needed; for 24 fps, 12 frames.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy S7 with Filmic Pro*
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 2 years ago by geomcd1949.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185154

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Here is the structure, I have a speaker, a woman going on for four minutes. On top of her speech I have ten second footage pieces of the facility she discusses. Room A, Room B, Room C and so on. The woman has about a minute of just her at each end, with two minutes worth of these ten second footage clips over her speaking. The final facility footage will not transition. Okay, I decide to use twenty seconds, still no dice. I had to then swap that piece with another ten second piece to allow the fade-to-her face. I am not sure why I could not use that footage block I wanted.

Now fade/dissolve to Logo, I went 'VFX', then 'Key', and then 'Image Key' to select the logo, which I brought in/imported/whatever. Instead of having a transition to logo (dissolve), I got abrupt face to logo. No dissolve face to logo. It just would not allow that.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185155

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
I would fold the image key effect, then apply a dissolve to between the two clips.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185165

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Briandrys is correct - folding the image key effect into the clip and dissolving will do that with a minimum of pain. However there will be times when you need a little more flexibility. I just did this (admittedly in flexible mode, but it also applies to the fixed mode that you're using).

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The text is an image key. It could be anything - a logo, art, anything as long as it has transparency. My timeline looked like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Note that I put a dissolve under the image key effect. In such a case you need to bridge the dissolve with your logo, and while you can do it by folding the effect into both sides of the dissolve, it becomes harder if you need to move the contents of the image key by zooming and/or changing position. The dissolve in this example hasn't affected the end result in any way whatsoever, it just demonstrates that the effect can bridge a dissolve or other transition - including cuts.

The routing that I used (and which happened automatically) was as shown below.

You will have noticed that there is no dissolve to or from the image key. This is because I keyframed the opacity of the blend effect. The keyframe icon looks like a stopwatch, and is active in the settings below.

The graph shows the complete keyframed transition.

Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185185

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I was just handed a video project that requires me to fade in PDF overlays. The PDF can be converted to jpegs/png's but I hope that I do not have to keyframe and blend every image to fade in and fade out to the speakers...

Heck, I still am not sure about this whole folding an image into a logo...seems a bit complicated. Normally in Vegas, Premiere, Resolve, Cinelerra, Blender, there are basic dissolves...

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185187

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
A Thank you for your effort is the currency people pay on this forum, normally.

That motivates most of us much to answer subsequent questions.

My suggestion for now: RTFM.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: Insufficient media to add transition?!? 2 years ago #185199

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
It really does sound like you're trying to force Lightworks to be some other post production tool. If you have repeated cases of that issue, either save the image key effect set up that way as a template, or fold the effect into the timeline and dissolve to it.

To use image key as a folded effect as briandrys suggested, and as I would also for simple work, park at one end of where you want the overlay to be and press "c". Move to the other end and press "c" again. That will cut that section into three pieces. Add the image key effect to the middle section and open the PDF that you need in it. Add a dissolve at both ends of that section. Done.

There are other ways too.
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top