Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nudge video

Nudge video 1 week ago #184413

• Chichbak
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to sync a video (A) which already has cut-aways, with the same video (B)which doesn't have the cut aways but does have the audio. I put video A over video B and removed 50% opacity so that I could line it up with video B. I would like to be able to nudge it frame by frame until I'm absolutely sure I'm synced but I can't work out how. When I looked at the keyboard shortcuts shown in the key assignements section of the user interface menu all it did was nudge the playhead.

Any help would be welcome, many thanks !

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 20 hours ago #184425

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 20 hours ago
Hello,

It's possible to nudge selected tracks frame by frame after entering a trim mode, e.g. trim-in (from Segment commands of timeline menu), but in this case I wouldn't do it that way . I would use the Synchroniser, because that's much faster than fiddling around with effects for transparency and trimming.

Open clip A, position the playhead (timeline marker) on the sync frame. Do the same with clip B. In "Filters.Clips" of project contents, select the clips A and B (Ctrl+click), nothing else. Right-click and execute "Make.Sync(s)". Set the parameters of the panel as shown.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This creates a synced sequence with all tracks of both clips. Delete the tracks you don't need. Then you can either use this sequence to start editing, or use it as source (in left viewer) to insert from into your target.

Tell how that works for you.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 days, 20 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 19 hours ago #184430

• Chichbak
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 19 hours ago
Many thanks for the reply but I can't make either of those work for me. I'll try the sync again tomorrow (maybe at the end of a day's work just isn't the right time) Should the clips be on the timeline ? I'm also very curious to learn how to nudge just because I'm so used to using it in FCPX. What key do I press to make the clip (not the playhead) move one frame at a time once I'm in trim mode ?
Thanks for your help

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 18 hours ago #184439

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 18 hours ago
I would think you won't have much fun when trying to edit in Lightworks as you have done it in FCPX. Why did you leave FCPX?

Using the Synchroniser in the described way is a step of data preparation. It will not work with clips already in the timeline.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 13 hours ago #184453

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
Please clarify

- Video A and Video B are exactly identical - except that one has audio and the other does not?
- you have both in a LW edit?
- you want to sync them up - presumably because you want to access the audio which is missing in Video A?
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 6 hours ago #184458

• Chichbak
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 6 hours ago
I love FCPX and haven't left it, but I was asked by some colleagues to do a workshop for them to help them learn to film and edit content for social media to promote their services. Thinking that FCPX was way too complex I looked around on line for sofware that was beginner friendly and came upon LTWKS. Since then I have been learning about it and I decided to do a real job that someone had asked of me using LTWKS as an exercise for myself, which is what I describe at the beginning of this thread. I had done a first edit with three or four cut aways and exported it so I had a copy. When I went back into LTWKS I couldn't find the sequence with the cutaways because I was using 2 different computers (opening an archive) and I messed up somewhere along the line (not surprising because I'm having trouble managing locations in LTWKS - I don't seem to have much choice in the matter). Here is a screenshot : V1 is the exported (and reimported) first cut with 50% opacity. Underneath in V2 is the original cut but without the cutaways which for whatever reason are no longer there. The exercise I set myself was to line up V1 and V2 by nudging until the images matched and then I would know where the cut aways had been, put them back, and carry on working. It's so easy in FCPX, is there really no way in LTWKS ?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 5 hours ago #184460

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 5 hours ago
As a check, I would deselect V1, to see if you can now get the V2 clips.

What may be happening is that V1 is getting priority. This is a technique used by editors when putting cutaways into interviews, they put the cutaways into the V1 and it automatically cuts in with the clip, so you don't touch the interview in he other track. It's handy for news editing etc..

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 5 hours ago #184461

• Chichbak
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 5 hours ago
No maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly...All I want to do is nudge the whole clip of V1 (one frame at a time) until the image is properly lined up with V2. Is there really no way to do that ?

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 5 hours ago #184462

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 5 hours ago
OK. deselect all the other tracks. Place the playhead on the clip you want to move. Use the "t" key for slide trim, then use the "," to move one frame to the left or the "." to move to the right. A visual clue is that these are also the < and > keys.

Use the "t" again when finished with the trim.

Note that you can use the single arrows either side of the play icon in the sequence viewer controls for single frames. But the keys are quicker.

Slide is also in the segment commands in the timeline menu.

Further information is on P84 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation
Last Edit: 6 days, 5 hours ago by briandrys.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 5 hours ago #184463

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 5 hours ago
As I understand it, what you want to do is slide V1 with respect to V2 while maintaining the position of the cursor and see the result as you're doing it. No, there's no way to do that.

I assume that you're achieving the 50% mix using the blend effect. You can drag V1 with respect to V2 and the cursor will stay locked. What will also happen while you're dragging is that you'll only see V2. As soon as you release it you'll see your mix.

Alternatively you can open either end of V1 in trim mode and nudge V1 in either direction. Unfortunately, again you won't see your mix, and your cursor will also move from where you've parked it.

However there is a way out, but it means driving Lightworks like Lightworks and not like FCP-X. Remove the blend effect and find a frame that you can readily identify on V2 by disabling V1 then press the "i" key to mark it. Turn on V2 and find the same frame and press "o" to mark it. Open V1 to trim, and if the "o" mark is after the "i" mark , press Shift-A, otherwise press Shift-S. The two tracks are now aligned.

Shift-A is the Align Marks (out with in) command, and Shift-S is Align Marks (in with out.)

There are alternative techniques available, but that one is probably simplest for a beginner. But note: to trim make sure that you have some black at the head and tail of your timeline first, then click on V1 just before the cut in and again just after the cut out. The amount of black doesn't matter as long as there's some.

Once you've aligned the marks the command will cancel trim mode, but you will need to remove the mark that's left by pressing the "p" key.

And if you don't feel comfortable using keyboard shortcuts, use the left blue diamond under the sequence viewer in place of the "i" key and the right blue diamond in place of the "o" key. Right click on the timeline and choose "Align > In with out" or "Align > Out with in".
Last Edit: 6 days, 4 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 4 hours ago #184464

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 4 hours ago
-and I was typing my above after post #184460.

Trim mode suffers from the disadvantage that you can't see the mix as you do it and the cursor moves to the start or end of the clip, as I said in my post. It will also enable trimming on both tracks unless you specifically disable one of them.

The technique that I spelled out above is one that I use myself. There's always a frame that is identifiable enough to select for the match.
Last Edit: 6 days, 4 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 2 hours ago #184467

• Chichbak
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Thanks Jwrl and Briandrys. That has almost worked. I was able to align by marking in and out points but the shift s and a didn't work for me so I had to use the "align" in the drop down menu. I'm using a mac azerty keyboard, any ideas why it didn't work ? I prefer to use the shortcuts if possible

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 2 hours ago #184468

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Chichbak wrote:
I love FCPX and haven't left it
Here is a screenshot : V1 is the exported (and reimported) first cut with 50% opacity. Underneath in V2 is the original cut but without the cutaways which for whatever reason are no longer there. The exercise I set myself was to line up V1 and V2 by nudging until the images matched and then I would know where the cut aways had been, put them back, and carry on working. It's so easy in FCPX, is there really no way in LTWKS ?

Thank you for explaining and the screenshot. It's clearer to me now. As mentioned already by other, there's no way of doing it with Lightworks as you are used to with FCPX by mixing picture, nudging tracks while viewing the mix. I hoped that shifting tracks with the mouse heavily zoomed-in might be possible (which doesn't affect playhead position), but even this doesn't show the mix while moving.
Last Edit: 6 days, 2 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 2 hours ago #184470

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Chichbak wrote:
I was able to align by marking in and out points but the shift s and a didn't work for me so I had to use the "align" in the drop down menu. I'm using a mac azerty keyboard, any ideas why it didn't work ? I prefer to use the shortcuts if possible

With default settings, the two "Align marks" commands are not assigned to shortcuts, as far as I can see here. To assign, leave the project to enter project browser, from cogs menu select "User Interface.Key assignments", search for "Align Marks" and assign the commands to shortcuts of your choice.
Last Edit: 6 days, 2 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Nudge video 6 days, 1 hour ago #184472

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 1 hour ago
I'm sorry. I'd forgotten that I had assigned those keys. I still don't recall having done it. Old age, I guess.
Last Edit: 5 days, 14 hours ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top