Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Working with stills for keyframing and such.

Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184219

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I have a series of scanned newspaper clippings from a client that I want to move around via keyframes for a video. The images are imported, but when I double click any of them, there is no preview. Nor can I drag any of the images onto the timeline. I looked up some tutorials on importing images and they are all several years old. On one video, it says to generate 'black' solids to then drag the images onto, but I cannot even see how to do that. (I have a fixed layout and the tutorial shows for flexible layout, which is a bit convoluted to use.)

The newspaper clippings are obviously not video resolution size, so I am guessing that perhaps I will need to work with these clippings in another program and then import them into Lightworks?

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184221

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
If zooming in, use image key, rather than the DVE with the standard still import, this will use the full resolution of the still. If not zooming in just use the standard import method you use for a video clip

When using the image key method, first create video black (using the bin commands in the fixed layout > make > video black) and place a suitable length clip of this black into the sequence timeline, just like any other clip.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In the flexible layout video black cam also be found by right clicking on the create new sequence icon.

Note that if you don't put the clip of video black into the sequence timeline, you won't be able to use the full still image.

Open the VFX tab and select image key from the effects browser (keys). Import the still using this effect with image ... choose a file (see message below), the still will use the video black as a background. You can then use the keyframes to set the moves on the still. Enable this by clicking on the clock icons on the left of the slides.

The instructions for the earlier versions should pretty much hold at this stage.

The main difference with the flexible layout is you use a button in the timeline to select the effects, while in the fixed layout you use the VFX tab, other than that the procedures are pretty similar.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by briandrys.

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184227

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
FathomStory wrote:
The images are imported, but when I double click any of them, there is no preview.

It could be that the format isn't supported. If the images even don't show using Image or Image Key effect, you'll have to convert with third party software. Lightworks supports many image formats, but not everything.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184228

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
The supported image formats are: BMP, DPX, JPEG, PNG, TGA, Compressed TGA, TIFF

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184234

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
The images I have are supported, I just had no idea how to bring them onto the timeline and prepare for manipulation. Just like the vectorgrams, the way to import images is not obvious. But I do have images in. Now I am trying to figure out the keyframing side of things, how to slide the articles/headlines in for dramatic effect.

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184239

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
To start faster with keyframes, I'd suggest reading starting on page 180 of V14.0 User Guide about "Keyframes". For more efficient work with effects in general, the whole "Chapter 10: Effects" starting at page 149 contains helpful information.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184244

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Here is an unofficial video which may assist with the concept of keyframes. With a still you're more likely to be putting in moves and you can use the + and - if you wish to add keyframes at the bottom, rather than with the graphs. Note that you can mark and park, rather than using in and out points,

For more info look here, ignore the layout the effects browser is basically the same.

Re: Working with stills for keyframing and such. 2 years ago #184249

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
FathomStory wrote:
The images I have are supported, I just had no idea how to bring them onto the timeline and prepare for manipulation. Just like the vectorgrams, the way to import images is not obvious. But I do have images in.

If using image key, use this method to bring in the image to the effect. The effect is going onto the video black clip you've inserted into the timeline. BTW Best not use the term import when referring to the timeline, it can be easily confused with the earlier importing stage when you're speed reading a message.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top