• Page:

TOPIC: Video not playing during Sequence playback

Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183524

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone

I am still learning the software and I must admit that the learning curve is steep. Am watching videos and trying out what I learn. I do have a problem at the moment and that is when I press on the spacebar or click on play to view Sequence 1, the video remains at the first image and does not move through the entire video. I have a 1 minute 25 seconds video and I can't view it. The timer on the video moves forward normally, the red bar moves forward normally, but the video is frozen on the opening view. Any ideas on what is going on? I have checked the required specs to run Lightworks and my laptop DO NOT meet them. Here are my laptop specs:

Windows 10
Acer Aspire E15
Intel Core i3-6100U (2.3GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Intel HD graphics 520 up to 4157 MB Dynamic Video Memory
8 GB DDR3 L Memory
1000 GB HDD

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183528

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your computer details.

That sounds like a problem of the kind "demanding footage meets underpowered computer for editing", but don't worry, your're not alone with this kind of problem and it should be fixable by tweaking the video without purchasing new hardware.

Please post a Mediainfo report of the footage you use. Here you'll find information on How to create and post Mediainfo reports.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183571

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your computer details.

That sounds like a problem of the kind "demanding footage meets underpowered computer for editing", but don't worry, your're not alone with this kind of problem and it should be fixable by tweaking the video without purchasing new hardware.

Please post a Mediainfo report of the footage you use. Here you'll find information on How to create and post Mediainfo reports.

Good morning

Thanks, I've downloaded the tool and ran the video in it. The results are in the attached txt file.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183572

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Good morning,

This format creates too much load for your machine when editing natively:

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 60.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels

Lightworks provides an internal proxy workflow, which should make the footage fluently editable on your system. Proxies are files with low resolution and bitrate, created from original media (or from intermediate formats). They are used to increase performance when editing.

If you run Lightworks V14.0 or earlier, please download and install Lightworks V14.5 before proceeding. You'll find it under Downloads on top of this page.

With V14.5:

To create proxies: Right-click on the source viewer (or onto a selection of clips in Project Contents) and select "Media.Make proxy". Progress bar shows progress. Wait until proxy creation is finished.

To enable proxy editing: Click on "Project" upper left hand side to open Project panel and make sure that "Video.Output.Playback media quality" is set to "Lowest availableď« On export the original files will be used automatically for best possible quality.

Tell about your findings.

Please note: You can select size and quality of proxies from tab "Media.Proxies" of Project panel prior to creating proxies. Default settings, H.264-360-Low, perform very well, but might look a bit too blurry on larger displays. Personally, I use H.264-480-medium.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183576

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
OK great, I will use it and report back. Thanks alot.

Danny

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #183607

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Good morning,

This format creates too much load for your machine when editing natively:

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels

Lightworks provides an internal proxy workflow, which should make the footage fluently editable on your system. Proxies are files with low resolution and bitrate, created from original media (or from intermediate formats). They are used to increase performance when editing.

Due to important bug fixes and enhancements, please download and install Lightworks V14.5 beta before proceeding. You'll find it under Downloads on top of this page.

With V14.5:

To create proxies: Right-click on the source viewer (or onto a selection of clips in Project Contents) and select "Media.Make proxy". Progress bar shows progress. Wait until proxy creation is finished.

To enable proxy editing: Click on "Project" upper left hand side to open Project panel and make sure that "Video.Output.Playback media quality" is set to "Lowest availableď« On export the original files will be used automatically for best possible quality.

Tell about your findings.

The update and the use of proxies has improved the video viewing dramatically. Thanks very much for your time, I really appreciate it.

Danny

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 2 months, 1 week ago #185874

• monstermusic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
This sounds like a good fix for me also. One question though. The proxy files save to your main drive. Can you change the path to save to 2nd drive and if so will it still convert to the original files when exporting?
I really wish there was a YouTube video about this. If I master it I will make a video I think.

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 2 months, 1 week ago #185875

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Internal proxies, same as all media copied or transcoded on import, are stored in Lightworks Media Space. That's a set of folders on the local file system called Media Locations which can be added and removed. No matter on what Madia Location proxies are placed, on export always original media are used.

By default, Lightworks Media Space is build from one single Media Location, on Windows that's
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Media
with the typical (read: mandatory) subfolders "Material" for video and "Sound" for audio files.

You can add and remove locations from Project Card. With V14.5, click on "Project" upper left hand side and select "Media.Locations". Add and Remove don't create or delete folders or media, they manage only the list of paths to existing folders which build up Lightworks Media Space, i.e. removing a path from "Media.Locations" panel will not delete anything on the file system.

There are ways to move media between Media Locations from within Lightworks, but I'm not sure if this will move existing proxies properly, I haven't tested it. So, my suggestion is, with Lightworks shut down, move the folders "Material" and "Sound" from default media location (see above) to a folder on another fast internal drive with sufficient space on OS level, e.g. D:\LWMedia (please note: Don't use any removable or network drive for this, unless you can ensure that it is always online when running Lightworks). Start Lightworks, Add the new location, Remove default location, restart Lightwork and all your media should be online again.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Video not playing during Sequence playback 2 months, 1 week ago #185876

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
By the way, there's a video about managing media locations. It shows V12. Panels and menu's have changed since then partially, but the basic principles haven't changed much.

Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top