• Page:

TOPIC: insert and close the gap shortcut doesn't work

insert and close the gap shortcut doesn't work 4 months, 1 week ago #182304

• leoleoleo321
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hey everyone,

I thank you in advance for your answer. My question is very simple (I hope) :

I'm working on clips that are located in the timeline.

to move and insert a clip in the timeline by closing the gap (drag and drop), I thought I had to press SHIFT and then move the clip. But that doesn't work with me.

When I press SHIFT alone at the beginning, no insert function is activated and I can't move any clip. However, I can select things in the timeline and something appears on the audio tracks (looks like an equalizer).

There is maybe a problem with the shortcut assignation but I don't know how to create the specific shortcut "insert the clip and close the gap". According to the video tutorial, the SHIFT key should make it.

Thank you guys for your answer,

Léo.

Re: insert and close the gap shortcut doesn't work 4 months, 1 week ago #182306

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

They changed the method for drag and dropping for insert, the shift modifier is now used for audio.

There is shift applied after you've dragged the clip and just before you drop it back as an insert. Then close the gap as below.

I prefer either placing the playhead at the new location and dragging the clip into the sequence viewer, where it'll insert at the playhead. You then close the gap using the segment command.

Even faster for one clip is "[" to mark all of the clip at the playhead. delete using "x" and use "f" (clipboard insert) to insert at the new location of the playhead. The gap closes automatically.

The last two methods combined with "a" and "s" to locate the playhead are more accurate than drag and dropping.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: insert and close the gap shortcut doesn't work 4 months, 1 week ago #182353

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
With V14.5 which is close to release, Shift+drag has been reinvented to either remove a clip and close the gap or to move a clip to insert/replace and close the gap. Unfortunately, that works only when dragging the clip (segment/section) from video track (not with mouse over audio tracks), due to the function of Shift to enable adjust level adjustment. To move all tracks of the segment "Auto track sync" from timeline commands must be enabled.

I still think that it would be highly beneficial to "free" Shift key from adjusting audio levels and to implement level adjustment as a toggled operation (ALT+A for example) exclusively instead of a shifted operation. This would allow Shift key to be used for many other operations as modifyer and the user wouldn't have to press Shift key endlessly while adjusting audio nodes. A command to toggle audio level adjustment exists already, but Shift-key is still "imprisoned".
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: insert and close the gap shortcut doesn't work 4 months ago #182464

Thank you guys for your answers !

It helps a lot. I should take care of watching updated tuto

see you,

Léo.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds
Scroll To Top